I give up, asking for your help :/

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by wrvond, Jan 14, 2020.

1. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

Got some new pups today, so decided to install them in place of the American Series with Delta Tone. These are vintage style pickups and the middle is not RWRP and I don't have a three position switch, so I decided to install a 5 position super switch and wire it IAW the 014-1102A_SISD 50's Classic Player Strat (MIM).
    All went as expected until I happened to select position 5 and roll T1 down to 1. Suddenly there was no sound out of the amp.
    I had to do a bunch of desoldering on the super switch, so figured I had burnt a contact or some such. Decided at that point to swap in a regular 5 position switch. Took a brand new one out of the bag and wired it in. Still lost signal when T1 rolled to 1 and position 5 and 4 selected. Works fine 2 thru 10. Thought maybe a burned spot on the pot, so swapped in a new pot with a new cap. Same problem. I've had this thing apart 5 or more times and cannot find a problem with anything. It's a very simple, straight forward diagram that I have wired up many times and I've never had this problem.
    In the back of my head (which hurts now) I keep thinking this is a symptom that I have read about somewhere that indicates a capacitor problem. That can't be right though, because I've put in three brand new caps.

I must be overlooking something obvious. Help is most appreciated.
    IMG_2868sm.JPG IMG_2870sm.JPG t1 fault.JPG

2. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Looks like one of your jumper wires may be on the wrong side. Not sure, but whenever I’ve wired them one wire goes on one side of the switch and ends up on the other. But wait for someone who really knows. It doesn’t look quite like the diagram. It’s hard to tell from the pics.

wrvond likes this.
  3. AngeloEvs

AngeloEvs Strat-Talker

The neck tone pot is wired as a vol control. Look at the diagram and compare to your wiring regards how the capacitor is fitted. You have earthed the outer neck tone pot conx which is incorrect....it should connect to one lead of the cap and the other lead of the cap to earth.

Sarnodude, wrvond and rgbedard like this.
  4. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Frankenstein Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep. Your cap is wired wrong. The leg of the pot is grounding the pot like a volume pot. The body of the pot shoukd be between the lug and the case of the pot. Look at this one for reference.
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

wrvond, 3bolt79 and rgbedard like this.
  5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Classic Player 50s diagram

wiring diagram.png

wrvond likes this.
  6. ibdrkn1

ibdrkn1 Strat-Talker

I've had similar problems while swapping out pickguard assemblies (that I didn't even re-wire). I think happened to 2 different assemblies but on the same used but new to me body. Turned out to be where the grounding screw was placed.

Have you "tap tested" your job before reinstalling?

wrvond likes this.
  7. wrvond

Yep, I see it now, the cap is on the wrong side of the T1 pin 3. I knew it was something stupid like that!

@Thrup'ny Bit - yes, that is the circuit I wired the 57/62 pups in with originally, but thought I had damaged the super switch. Turns out, not so much.
    Now that I know the real culprit, I'm pondering on going back to that.

@ibdrkn1 - no, I didn't and I don't tap test. I put the scratchplate on with two opposite screws to keep it from shifting around, put tension on one string and hook it up to an amp. I can pluck that one string while stepping through the switch positions and rolling the knobs. That will reveal much more than tapping on a pickup. In this particular case, I've wired that pot so many times that I was blind to the problem. Stared right at it, even knew there was a problem with the cap, but couldn't see it until it was pointed out to me.

@3bolt79 - Good thought, given my poor camera work. I wanted to say with that post that it only looked like the jumper was wired wrong, but since part of the problem is we always know everything is wired correctly - it just doesn't work, I didn't want to claim that anything was correct.

Thanks all for taking the time to check my work and for the suggestions!

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    CFFF, ibdrkn1 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. wrvond

Update:
    Since I had to fire up the soldering iron anyway, I decided to put the 5 way super switch back in and wire it as a Classic Player 50's Strat. I wasn't really jazzed about adding another delta tone guitar to the group. Reportedly, the Classic Player 50's sounds like a Telecaster in position 4.
    So, it's all back together with Super Lube on the saddles, fresh graphite (pencil lead) on the nut, and shiny new strings (D'Addario EXL120BT 9/40) installed.

Thanks again for all the help!

Oh, and here's a pic of the positions:
    classicplayer50s.JPG

CFFF likes this.