Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Warmoth.com darrenriley.com Amplified Parts Lollar Pickups Guitar Pickups

Join Strat-Talk Today

I guess I am a strat guy

Discussion in 'Pre-CBS Strats (before 1966)' started by sikoniko, Nov 12, 2017.

1. Percy

Percy Most Honored Senior Member

So you did the trade...

Good one nice strat:thumb:

2. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    Wow, looks great. Are the pickups original?

If I have to guess, I would say ash. Especially the bottom half of the guitar.

Round string tree was replaced with the butterfly one in 1956 according to Vintage HQ so I wouldn't sweat it.

3. slowerhand

slowerhand Strat-Talker

Feb 26, 2010
    Bangkok
    PS: bit of a digression but this might be a time to dig out the DSLR camera if you still have one. ;)

4. sikoniko

sikoniko Strat-Talker

the saddles, plastic, pots and pickups are not original. Everything else is original to the guitar, including the tweed case. I put SSL-1's in it for the time being. I don't see much of a point in paying the crazy price for an original pick guard, but over time I will get all of the other pieces.

I'm less concerned about the pots and pickups right now. I'd like the aesthetics to be right. The guitar sounds great as-is. the pots and capacitor will be the hardest, because I'll want to match the date. The body is 2/57 and the neck is 3/57.

I'm happy with the trade. It's a great guitar and I'm glad I got it. If I had not, the neck and body would have been sold separately. So, in a sense, it was also a rescue mission.

My wife has one. not sure where she put it though.

T Guitar Floyd and slowerhand like this.

5. Silvercaster

Silvercaster Strat-Talk Member

Aug 29, 2016
    Sweden
    Looks like ash to me. What is the wheight? Btw, nice family you got there!

6. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

Feb 18, 2009
    Clarks Summit, PA
    To me you're a single coil guy, and your plan to acquire a singlecut LP Jr., likely with a bridge P90, is proof. I barely play humbucker guitars anymore and I have two Strats. I do play the ES-347 a lot more than the other HB guitars (Yamaha SBG2100 and Gibson L6-S). I bought a LP 60's Tribute with P90s, now one my favorite guitars.

You won't regret letting the LP go, in my estimation.

sikoniko likes this.

7. Bluebird_12

Bluebird_12 Strat-Talker

Feb 21, 2014
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    Me too. Way more, almost by accident.

A '62 LP SG jr came up for sale locally in near mint condition from the original owner for $1700 Canadian. I couldn't turn that down.

But after bringing it home and setting it up with a Mojoaxe lightning bridge so I could use it with an unwound G, I fell right in love with it.

TheDudeMan likes this.

8. TheDudeMan

TheDudeMan Strat-Talker

Sep 19, 2016
    The Crossroads
    Honestly after being in a similar position with non original parts on a guitar it's best to just buy reproductions. You can get some great custom pickups klein makes great stuff and has all the plastics as well imo.... I ended up selling my 64' with lots of non original parts, but I've got my other 64' and it's only missing the original guard.... maybe one day I'll buy one, maybe not....

9. Highway Star

Highway Star Strat-Talker

This is an interesting subject. I have always tried really hard to like Les Pauls but I always end up with a strat in my hands. The solution was a P-90 les paul. Still I end up with a strat in my hands though :D. That strat-ish tone seems impossible to outmatch :cool:

crashbelt likes this.

10. muf magician

muf magician Strat-Talker

Jan 10, 2015
    Texas
    IMG_3850.JPG

Mipstoo likes this.