I hate looking for bass players.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Dr Improbable, Oct 30, 2014.

1. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

2. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Strat-O-Master

A lot of guys around here have the "Hired Gun" ,mentality. I want someone who can contribute - not just show up & get paid.

3. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

Play with what you got, lifes too short

4. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox

I play the bass out way more than the guitar, and I get asked regularly, even though I'm just moderately proficient. Took 6 months of bass lessons back in '84 or 5, over at Pedrini's in Alhambra, learned a couple scales and got a few simple patterns drilled into me, and honestly, haven't done much different since. Very much left brain instruction, even though rhythm is said to be a right brain thing. I feel like I'm lost about a third of the time and just faking it around the root until the resolve, but folks either don't notice, or are too polite to say anything. Long as you can keep half decent time, and have a really good signal worked out for key changes, your fine.

But - I have a way harder time singing with the bass in hand than I do when I'm playing a guitar. Don't know if that's because I've just done that more, or because it's more out of the other side of my brain than from the place where the lyrics and chords are dispatched, and that I'm not much of a multi-tasker. Also I find it harder to feel like I'm enjoying myself when I'm doing things from that side of the brain, it's more like work for me. I imagine maybe that's part the reason I get asked to play bass, because it doesn't come out of the creative side of my head, and on the bass I never hijack the plane, while on the guitar I just might.

I think maybe a reason it's hard to find bass players, and one of the things I don't like about playing bass, is because when I show up with the bass, you're expected to be the wet nurse for somebody else's baby. It's not your kid that your suckling, and after awhile you've got sore nipples and nobody to carry on the family name. It's not your deal, you're just there to walk behind with the bucket, and pick up the rocks that fall off the cart.

So yeah, if you do get a good, or oven moderately proficient bass player, be patient and kind, and regularly apply liberal doses of teat cream.

5. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

I built myself a Baritone and did away with the middle man ;)

6. Robins

Robins Dr. von Loudster

The bass player in my last band was just there - to fill the stage. He really did that xD
    In the studio I always played the bass for the recording.
    I think I can be a bass player when I can´t play guitar anymore.

All the best,
    Robin

7. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Strat-O-Master

I hear that!

8. Miotch

Miotch Senior Stratmaster

Two biggest problems I faced while in bands (well, other than sobriety of everyone): 1) finding and keeping a good bass player that will a) show up; b) every time; c) relatively on time.
    2) trying to keep a guitar out of the lead singer's hands when a) he has really bad, harsh rig; b) never practices; and c) can't play, let alone sing and play.

We always finally managed to overcome the first problem and got a great bass player. We fought the second problem every step of the way.

9. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Silver Member

Wait, indeed.

[​IMG]
    Tal Wilkenfeld

[​IMG]
    Cat Popper

10. Willie D

Willie D Pentatonic Hack Silver Member

Good bassists are really hard to come by, even at pro level in the business. How many albums has Pino Palladino alone played on?

11. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

I wonder what percentage of top level bass players started out as bass players, or did they start out as guitar players?

12. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Long time ago I had a gig where we couldn't find a bass player. Our very talented keyboard player played bass parts with his left hand with a bass synth module on one of his keyboards.

13. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member

Oh yeah !!

14. Viking inLA

Viking inLA Most Honored Senior Member

sigh.....:rolleyes:

15. Mouse

Mouse The Knees of Rock

I think in the rock/metal world that percentage is high. I can't speak for blues but I would think many more are true bass players. It's a much different style than riding root notes.

16. Stringbender11

Stringbender11 Senior Stratmaster

I often think of guitar players as being dead last in difficulty to find. (good) singers, drummers, keyboardists and bass players are so much harder to locate. Everyone plays guitar it seems like. I've thought about switching instuments myself..

17. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

That's a good one!

I like to hold up that part of the song with 1 of 3 basses, and keep a sense of humor about it. Your post doesn't have a like button, so I quoted it, above. :D Fortunately, no coffee was in my mouth when I first read it.

18. Tesla_HV

Tesla_HV Strat-O-Master

A couple of months ago I bought a Fender Jazz with the idea that I would also learn to play bass. I can say that I have a new respect for those who play bass. It is much harder than I ever imagined. The biggest challenge for me now is simply keeping in time for the entire song. For a guitarist, you can have a mental lapse in timing but not so for the bass player.

19. kargoboy

kargoboy Strat-O-Master

I guess I was always lucky with Bass players, there were really only two
    that I played with back when I had a real band.
    Now ask how many drummers we went through!

IMHO a good drummer who can keep a rock-solid beat, play with a click track, and not
    feel an overwhelming need to fill the end of every other measure some ridiculous flourish
    is the hardest to find.

20. davidKOS

davidKOS not posting these days

Interesting thread....I started gigging as a bassist....still play a lot, not as much live as in the studio.

One thing you have to realize is that in a blues band, the guitar (plus keyboard, sax, and and harmonica players) have all the fun and get to blow a lot of solos...while the bassist has a much less interesting part, considering that most blues bands may use the same 4-8 grooves many times in an evening. That's a lot of basic I-IV-V's to play all night long.

So the good bassist has to also seriously discipline himself to not overplay in such a band, and often this isn't a lot of fun, so that's one reason it may be hard to find a bass player for a blues band project.