1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

I have 200 bux to spend. Which compressor?

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by amstratnut, Sep 16, 2020.

1. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

I generally use them on clean stuff live and on whatever I like when recording. A little goes a long way.

Stonetone likes this.
  2. grritz

grritz Still 17 between the ears Silver Member

...unless you want to sound better than you will without one, that is.

Miotch likes this.
  3. grritz

You can find Keeley Compressor Plus on Reverb for about $100

4. grritz

LOVE my Cali76 but they r not cheap. $300 used if you shop around. If u r serious about compression (I am!), you’ll at least check this out on YouTube.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020
    Nick-O likes this.
  5. Nick-O

Nick-O Senior Stratmaster

10-4. I don't follow the pedals too much so I was not sure if they had dropped in price. Kind of one of those pedals that once you use it, it sets the bar, so to speak.

Stonetone likes this.
  6. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

just my opinion. it never made me sound better.....it just added noise. granted, it was probably because i really have no idea how to properly use a compressor.
    for many years all i used was a marshall half stack and a boss super overdrive.
    also, i was giving Sven a compliment.....hes a great player and his tone is always really great no matter what hes using. ive jammed with him before and i was very impressed.

fezz parka, amstratnut and Stonetone like this.
  7. PRSWILL

PRSWILL Strat-Talk Member

Not a fan of pedal compression- seen way too many issues with them live- a knob gets moved and there’s noise, feedback and volume issues. I’ve never used one live as I’ve seen my other guitar player battle with his. I find getting the clean settings on the amp set well, a good volume pedal and a clean boost are about all you need. I play through a HK Grandmeister 36 live and it’s got an incredible amount of diversity with multiple drive options. Simple is better live.
    Recording- different story- I have multiple racked and plug in compression options that work very well.

8. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

Double post

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  9. ToneRanger

True dat - I watched the YT video where they worked with Pete Thorn to create his Toneprint, and it was pretty fascinating - studio ace that he is he was able to give a lot of good explanations to how compression works, and they basically created something that was more of a tone enhancer than a typical compressor - it still has the sparkle and dynamics that you usually lose with compression, but still had the punch and sustain.

Like I said earlier, mine is set so that my clean sound has the same fullness, power and sustain as my overdrive sounds - only clean.

The-Kid likes this.
  10. gitlvr

gitlvr Strat-O-Master

For me all I ever really need is a simple two knob compressor. MXR would fit that, and I could buy another pedal with what was left over. MHO, but unless you need all the bells and whistles, most compressor needs can be met very easily and economically.
    Depends what you're into.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  11. chas3rd

chas3rd Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

Keeley or TC Elect. Hyper gravity Both great TC is cheaper.

12. jobo

jobo New Member!

I've used a Guyatone ST2. Thought I was stepping up when I switched to the XP. They're both good but the Guyatone is better for the price (used), and I lean towards pedals thought don't give me so many options that I always feel like I didn't quite use it right - that's my issue with the XP. In use, they're both good.

13. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Vendor Member

This is how I like to use a compressor. You can use it to squish and squash or loads of sustain but it messes with your signal allot.

For me I agree and the way I use if I use one.

Hear hear

14. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-Talker

I prefer one with a mix or blend knob. My current favorite is the Wampler Ego Mini, but I am also partial to the Pigtronix Philosophers Tone. That one has an extra saturation circuit that gets super fuzzy. Very usable. I don't like comps that quack, suck as CS3, Dyna Comp and Ross.

15. Tremdaddy

Tremdaddy New Member!

Old grizzled veteran studio player here. FWIW I currently have a Barber Tone Press on my small gig pedalboard. I also have the 2 knob Keeley (noisy, don't dig it), the MXR script logo reissue from Analog Man (like it) and some others. One of the best I ever tried and wish I hadn't sold was the Carl Martin with 4 knobs. It took up too much real estate on my small board but it was super high quality and sounded very similar to my old DBX 160X. (I had their Quattro too, total piece of junk.) The Barber Tone Press is cool because you can dial in your dry signal too. When mine went down I sent it back to Barber, they turned it around quickly, GREAT company, highly recommend. For recording I usually use an 1176 or an LA-2A and also love the Fatso Jr. But for a pedal the Barber or the Carl Martin are the best I've tried.

amstratnut likes this.
  16. slightlydetuned

slightlydetuned Strat-Talk Member

Please take a look at OKKO from Germany, who make fantastic handbuilt pedals.

They've got two compressor models to offer (sometimes sold out at their website, but still available at certain retailers).

The first one is the COCA COMP, which once was an "always on" device in my signal chain, because it makes your guitar sound even better in all situations.

I later upgraded this to the COCAINE, which incorporates all the good things from the COCA COMP, but also features tone and boost control options, for example.

Believe me, these devices are made to stay on your pedal board – I'll never sell my COCAINE!

Here are some YouTube links about the COCAINE ...

amstratnut likes this.
  17. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

How's that search going...

18. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

I prefer an API 2500, but it’s not a guitar pedal.

fezz parka likes this.
  19. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

Best bang for buck compressor on the market.

20. ToneRanger

The Carl Martin is Andy Timmons go-to for cleans - he actually has a signature model that has two channels for different settings...

[​IMG]

amstratnut likes this.