I have a band issue...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Steelskin, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

Hey guys Im in need of some advice.

I have been playing in a reggea rock trio band since about xmas. We practice once a week. Tonight we are playing our first show. The problem is we really suck. I have recorded our jams a few times now, i can barley stand to listen to it. The other two guys think it sounds great. I tried to bring it up that we should take the summer to get tight. They are pushing an agent, and a lineup of summer shows, that in my opinion we are not ready for. I would not pay to see us play.

I joined this band under the understanding that we were together to make good sounding music, in the basement or the stage, doesnt matter. But now they are pushing for an agent, now we have to record for our myspace page, trying to plan gigs that WE are headlineing.

I have caught our head guy lying to people organizing the shows saying we have been playing longer then have, stuff like that. I like playing with these guys but am not into being in a "band". I want to be in a band with guys i like, that just want to play and enjoy the music on a personal level. Am I wrong in misleading them in some way? I dont want to be a dick and just quit, but this is not what i signed on for.

Any ideas?

thanks

2. PorkRollExpress

PorkRollExpress Strat-Talker

If you don't like them (and their satifasction with mediocraty) while casually gigging, you really won't like them when there are important decisions to be made.

Unless you know, can qualify, and fix the weak link(s), you ought to bail. JM.02$

EDIT: FWIW, I've been both the one bailing, and the weak link. **** happens.

3. adaptable

adaptable Strat-Talker

Is there money involved? If your not making money, and you don't like it...there really isn't a reason to stick around.

4. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

Well there is not money involved. Not yet. Even with my other band which i am very happy with, we dont play for money, we play our friends and families parties and stuff like that. Im good with that fact. The guys are all older then me 10 to 20 years. We strive to make the songs sound good. We work out the kinks, not just say screw it and hit the drums harder lol

Im not saying im the strongest in either bands, i hear my screw ups too. They just insist that its all good when my ears say something else.

5. adaptable

adaptable Strat-Talker

Any experience is good when you're getting up to speed, but there comes a time when your motivation for staying with a band has to be greater than just showing up and playing for a few hours. If you're learning from this experience, then stick with it....if not, find something you will learn from.

Sometimes, having "popular" people in a band just because they draw friends to gigs is important. I've seen powerhouse professional level musicians play to the seats, while a bunch of amateur guys with a large group of devoted friends get invited to play larger venues.

6. asc67

asc67 Senior Stratmaster

If you are not happy you should quit, life is to short. Better to do it now than after you have made a commitment to play shows for money.

7. Release

Release Strat-Talker

Record your next practice and then all of you analyze it together. Be super critical because that's what a lot of the people in the audience will be doing. I would definitely stress over and over that making a bad first impression is the worst thing you can do. Screw it up and you won't be back. Play when you're ready, not because an opportunity has come up. Man, good luck with this.

8. Sleepy

Sleepy Strat-O-Master

there's plenty of people there to play with.

9. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

I have done this twice actually... They say it sounds fine. I think it sounds bad. Think im being to over picky? Maybe. either way im not to sure if i want my name attached to it.

10. SDStrat

SDStrat Strat-Talker

Ahhhh....Band Drama, a time honored tradition!

If you are not comfortable or happy with it at practice it will show through on stage.

11. Steelskin

Steelskin Strat-Talker

I agree

12. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

If the other guys think it's fine, play the gig and ask the bartender/waitresses/door guys what they think afterwards. They'll be sober, and relatively impartial. If THEY think you guys suck, part ways. If they think it was pretty good, stick with it, and stop beating yourself up.

13. aznrambo481

aznrambo481 Strat-O-Master

I like carlsoti's idea. If you can find impartial friends or employees to gauge you guys, they might get it :D

14. 07 road house

07 road house Senior Stratmaster

I wish I had this problem. I would love to be in a band

15. MTguitar

MTguitar Strat-Talker

+1 for getting some outside input.

Bartenders....ahhhh, they may or may not tell you the truth.

Find a highly respected guitar instructor or someone from a well-known local band. Pay them for their time if you have to, just as if you were taking lessons from them.

Inform your bandmates of the third party, and make sure it is someone they will be more likely to respect the opinion of.

Play and then get the feedback. I could be that you are better sounding than you think (maybe you're the type of person that is naturally hard on themself) or it could be just as you see it. But an impartial, knowledgable third party will cut to the chase the quickest.

16. Kuroyama

Kuroyama Strat-Talker

Im also in a group with people who dont see eye to eye with me. I advise you bail. People wont change. So, if you can live with the current situation, then make it work. But, why should you have to? If youre gigging, let the audience decide. If they all love your work then its all good? But if youre getting rounds of jeers, then walk.

17. StratmanNick

StratmanNick Senior Stratmaster

Oh dear Steelskin, you are in an awkward position. Can I be brutally frank and say go and join another band. I can see only problems lining up with your current band.

It's all down to standards and some folks just can't see it. If they can't you're most probably wasting your time. And that lying thing....it really doesn't add up to a happy future with those guys.

Good Luck .Do let us know how things progress.

18. johnreardon

johnreardon Senior Stratmaster

I agree with Nick. Life is too short to waste time not enjoying yourself. Find some others to play with

19. bobmac

bobmac Strat-Talker

Back in the mid 1970s I played with a 4 piece blues band for several months, we never played any live gigs, just jammed and practiced regularly. I was the leader of the band (lead guitarist) and in my opinion we we're not ready to play gigs. Months went by and I thought we still we're not good enough to play gigs. Then the band disintergrated and guys drifted off. I made tapes of many jam sessions we had and when I listened to them years later I was so impressed with the raw raunchy gutsy sound we had. Sure we we're not slick like Led Zep or other bands that had influenced us but we had our own gutsy style. Years later I realized it was a missed opportunity, I had my sights set too high at that time, I was comparing our sound to the greats. So I tell you this just to give you something to consider.

20. Sleepy

Sleepy Strat-O-Master

Some one mentioned the thing about other band members being popular and bringing in friends... that's good for getting gigs because my feeling is that a bar owner only cares about how many people you bring in ..not what you sound like.. but even with that even if you get paid fairly well for the gig by the time you split up the money with the band you pretty much get some gas money..... there are better ways to make money.
    Just do music for fun and the rest will work itself out or it wont.
    If you ain't getting anything out of being with these guys.. learning nothing etc.. then just move on to something fun

from my personal experience,
    the last band I was in
    The players were all far more advanced than I was,
    So I was cracked on constantly.. not any fun.
    when you consider the amount of time spent loading and unloading gear playing and traveling 100 dollars a gig works out to be about 15 dollars and hour at best.. that is hardly worth not having any fun at all and that was pretty good money for a band member (that's what every one got except the front man... I don't know what he makes)
    any way I make much more money being a carpenter.
    so ends my 2 cents