I have finally finished them!!!

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Believer7713, Nov 12, 2020.

1. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunnyman Frankenstein Silver Member

The S-7 donation guitars are finally done!!! I just dropped off the guitars to the KCPD Care Team. For those that don't know what the Care team is, it is a group of people that work for the department who are there to help care for officers and their families. When there is an injury or illness that becomes a financial burden that the family cannot bear on their own the care team steps in and helps to take care of things.
    This year, I did two guitars to be raffled to raise money for their coffers since they really couldn't have their big fund raisers this year due to the pandemic because they have always been large crowd events.
    These pics show the guitars completed and with the LEDs lit up.
    20201111_203918.jpg 20201111_203926.jpg 20201111_204521.jpg 20201111_204532.jpg

I also dropped off the auction guitar for the Crime Stoppers unit last week.
    20201105_080246.jpg
    20201105_080259.jpg 20201105_080332.jpg 20201105_103820.jpg 20201104_184755.jpg

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
  2. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

killer stuff!

JJ119 and Believer7713 like this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    When will the Chiefs one be raffled off?

myredstrat and JJ119 like this.
  4. Believer7713

We are trying to get a couple more things done but aren't sure if we can get them done. Well, I'll jsut say it. No promises but I am trying to get both of them autographed by the team mempers that are still around from both of the last championship games. Plus, if I can get those done I will also try to get Chiefs autographed by Lenny Dawson and Oits Taylor since they are both still in KC. As well, I have feelers out to get the blue one autographed by the players still around from 1985 too.
    I will let you know @Lonn

JJ119, Bob the builder and amstratnut like this.
  5. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Silver Member

Looking good!

Believer7713 likes this.
  6. Keith268

Keith268 Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Great job brother!

Believer7713 likes this.
  7. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-O-Master

Liking that Royals!!
    :thumb:

[ ETA ]

Like them ALL.
    But Really Dig the Royals!

Believer7713 likes this.
  8. West44th

West44th Strat-Talk Member

You are a very kind hearted gentleman and put your abilities and talents to very good use.
    I take my hat off to you for your good work!

9. Believer7713

Thank you very much. I really appreciate the compliment. The story about how I first found out about the Care Team is kind of both sad and funny. It's a long one so I'll wait until I can be on a regular keyboard to type it.

Baelzebub, JJ119 and West44th like this.
  10. West44th

I look forward to hearing the story. It`s good to have some element of humour in sadness, it doesn`t detract from the pain but it can help temper it a little.
    You are a good guy, I`m sure you have helped so many people with your thoughtfulness.

ZlurkCorzDog and JJ119 like this.
  11. myredstrat

myredstrat Senior Stratmaster

you are a good man believer7713 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I knew you would want to jump on that

12. Believer7713

Ok,
    I have been working for the KCPD as an Automotive Technician since June of 2003. I am not an LEO but a civilian employee for the Department. About 2008 we started doing a lot of sobriety checkpoints as a department but we had a lot of old equipment that was always in need of repair and normally wouldn't make it through a shift without needing repair. After a few years of having mechanics called out to the checkpoints for a quick fix that would cost us 4 hours of call back pay, sometimes for a simple fix that was only about 10 minutes, the people in charge decided to just keep one of us on site at every checkpoint. there were several of us that would do it because it was normally pretty easy overtime pay and it was always fun to see how the checkpoints worked.
    Fast forward to June 11, 2011. One week to the day before my birthday and almost 3 months to the day after I started dating my wife. I made a last minute switch with the mech. that was on the schedule for that night and took his place.
    That turned out to be a move that I'll never forget. we got the checkpoint set up and were working when a crazy storm blew through so we all climbed into the bus to get away from the rain then went back out when it cleared up. Then the rain came again. This went on several times and we should have just called the rest of the night off but we were working on state grant money and the rules are really specific concerning how it needs to be spent so we pushed on. At 0218hrs a car approached the checkpoint and slowed down to a stop before getting to the entrance and started acting pretty shady. Then he pulled up and stopped long enough to hand the officer what looked to be an ID but wasn't and as soon as the officer started to say something, the driver stepped on the gas and drove through the checkpoint. He narrowly missed hitting several officers but I couldn't get out of the way. He hit me while driving a 2010 Dodge Charger at approximately 40 mph. The impact shattered the bottom half of my knee breaking the side of the tibia off of the main shaft of the bone for about 4 1/4" down. After the initial impact, I flipped into the air and landed on the hood of the car and slid up to the windshield. Grabbing for anything I could get a hold on I grabbed the windshield wipers and was holding on to them while the driver continued to drive through the checkpoint almost hitting several other officers again. As we exited the south end of the checkpoint, we hit a police cruiser that was being used to block that end and the officer that drove that car could no longer see me. He thought I had been smashed between the two cars and killed and after almost being hit himself, he started shooting at the car. After three shots, one of his partners, was able to stop him because I was still on the hood.
    The car hit me at 76th and Troost and I rode the hood until I was thrown off. We were heading southbound and I was found in the far northbound lane of a 5 lane street at just south of 84th and Troost. according to all three occupants in the vehicle, we were traveling in excess of 120 mph when I was shaken off the hood. the officer that shot at the car hit the car all three times and one of the bullets went directly above the drivers and my heads.
    So with all of that said, I had to undergo 9 surgeries in just as many years to repair my leg to be able to walk without a limp most of the time. The first surgery, to put the bone back together, left me on crutches for over 6 months. The second surgery was to repair as much of the soft tissue in the knee as possible. that meant removing the hardware from the first surgery and adding new hardware to hold the cadaver parts in place. After a few more surgeries trying to keep the original knee operational, it was time for a total knee replacement. The replacement failed and in 2 1/2 years I had a total knee revision done and 7 months later some scar tissue removed.
    All of that said as a back story to tell how I got hooked up with the Care Team. While I was recovering from my second surgery, which was the worst one by far BTW, I got a call one day from someone I didn't know and had never heard of claiming to be a representative of the Care Team. He was asking me if there was anything I needed, whether it be bills or a run to the grocery store, possibly to the doctor or anything else I needed. Like I said, I didn't know this guy from Adam and didn't know anything at all about the Care Team, so I declined but he left me his number and told me that if I needed anything at all to make sure to call him. Actually, my real thoughts were,
    "Dude!!! I don't know you and don't know how you got my number but I don't need anything from someone I know nothing about so I would appreciate not getting another call":eek:
    A few months later, after I got back to work, I started doing a little research on the CT. I found out that they help officers and their families when in need...whether it be from medical bills to OTJ injuries to financial issues due to unforeseen circumstances and so on. They are an entity within the KCPD but are independent of the KCPD.
    Once I really found out about them I was , and still am, just blown away that this group got together and organized themselves on the level that they have. It really made me want to try to do something for them and since I used to be a long distance runner my goal was to get back to running enough to run at least one more 5K and use that as a way to raise money through sponsorship for them. Problem was that I never got to where I could run again. I tried for several years but it wasn't meant to be. So in November of 2018, I got the idea to build a guitar that was KCPD themed for them to auction off at their big fundraiser in May of 2019. I decided I would collect as many department unit challenge coins as I could and incorporate them into it as I could. I ended up routing and imbedding 35 challenge coins and lapel pins into the body and giving it a custom Paint Job. I also added a red/blue flashy light from a stripped police car. You can see the chronicled build here which also shows where I got the idea for it. https://www.strat-talk.com/threads/project-guitar-for-a-charity-event.501300/#post-3480554
    It has turned into something bigger than I ever thought and I have been doing these for people and other auctions for charities. This year alone, I have done four for fundraisers within the Department. Next year I have already been commissioned to do one for the Special Olympics of Missouri too. I will have to figure out how I am going to theme it soon. I will probably be doing another one for the Care Team again too.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2020
    Zzzzz, Stonetone, Ruscio and 2 others like this.
  13. BigNorm

BigNorm Senior Stratmaster

Great move ! Congrats. You know, here in Monreal and probably in all the province of Quebec, The Kansas city Chiefs are the most favorite NFL team because of the Doctor ( Laurent Duvernay Tardif ), a guy from our province.

Stonetone and Believer7713 like this.
  14. West44th

That is one incredible story. Well done on your recovery and the work you do to help others. Truly inspirational!

Believer7713 likes this.
  15. Believer7713

I have so much respect for that guy!!! He was willing to opt out of this year's season so that he could work in the hospital because it is so much more important than just working in the entertainment industry. Because really, that's what sports really are for 99+% of the rest of the world.
    There was also an ongoing joke here in KC that when he broke his leg a couple years ago he was able to do his own diagnosis and set it himself so there was a big discount on the medical bills for the team. (Keep in mind that it was very light hearted and all in jest.)

Stonetone and BigNorm like this.
  16. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

Nice work!
    Good stuff

Believer7713 likes this.
  17. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

:thumb::thumb::thumb:
    I take it your stone has passed?

Believer7713 likes this.
  18. Believer7713

Yes it did. I passed it about 6:30 Saturday morning. Then I slept for about 19 hours the next day. Only getting up to fill up with water and empty out.

Baelzebub likes this.
  19. Ruscio

Ruscio Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

These are fantastic and I *really* admire what you're doing.

Believer7713 likes this.
  20. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

God Damn those are So awesome and Awesome of you to have Built these Beauties hats off to you :thumb:

Believer7713 likes this.