I have to give a Strat back to its owner, now what?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by 64cousins, Jan 20, 2021.

1. 64cousins

64cousins Strat-Talk Member

Hi Everyone.
    I've been reading from this forum for a while so I though I should sign up.

I have had on loan a mid 90's usa Strat for the last year or so and now its the only guitar I play, its has a Set of fralins in it ( i dont know which but its the ones that everyone gets i guess).
    its not particularly well set up but I like the way sounds and feels, compared to my ibanez.

Unfortunaly and outrageously he now wants it back.

So my question is... should I go all in on a new American Original 60's Strat which looks to be something i'd be into or buy something second hand and upgrade the pickups to say some fralins or similar?
    Will i be happy with the stock pick-ups?

I want to avoid buying a new guitar and then spanking more money on pick-ups.
    sorry if this seems to be a scrambled question, it reflects my current state of mind.

P.s I wasn't even a Strat guy until last year but have been playing for 30 years

drp146, Elvie, 3bolt79 and 5 others like this.
  2. 66musicmaster

66musicmaster Senior Stratmaster

Sounds like shopping and research are in your future - to me, the BEST part of buying a new guitar. I can't answer about what guitar for you to buy. I like cheap guitars with room left in budget to make it mine.

And I'm sorry you have missed out on being a strat guy... :( You shoulda just asked - we would have put you on the right path long ago. LOL. Good luck deciding on new Strat.

drp146, 3bolt79 and Danny D like this.
  3. SpeedKing

SpeedKing Senior Stratmaster

Firstly hello and welcome, I'm sure you'll get a few responses with very differing opinions.

If it were me in the current climate I'd be looking to buy secondhand but from a reputable store with a good and lengthy returns policy so you can leave stuff standing for covid regs.

Not sure I'd be too worried about buying US though ... there are great strats from Mexico and Japan and even Affinity Squiers from China can be incredible instruments (I know, I have all three).

Decide what you liked about the one you're handing back ... satin finish neck? locking tuners? modern 9.5 radius (rounder than the Ibanez probably though)? aesthetics? 2 point trem? neck back shape?

If you can narrow it down it's easier to then find items similarly specified. If you're going to make changes, say to Fralin pups, I'd think about what you need from the rest. '69 pups will sound like '69 pups in most anything you can fit them in.

4. RobZ69

RobZ69 Senior Stratmaster

Doesn't he want to sell it to you? He's been without it for a year, so he can't be too attached to it...

5. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Start Shopping and the GAS will come sooner than you think :)

6. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Pickups are very, very subjective, so it's definitely a try-before-you-buy (or at least try to get good sound clips) situation there. What's your budget? Having owned both, I can tell you that the MIM Players are quite close to the mid-90s MIA Standards in feel and playability, at a reasonable price. If you want to go higher, I would highly recommend the American Pro II - excellent guitars all around. I just picked up an Am Pro II and I'm afraid it may make my other Strats irrelevant.

I don't have any experience with the American Originals.

If you're considering used, you'll have more leeway to swap pickups, but you're limited to what's on the market, and you have the slight risk of getting a dog that someone's looking to dump.

Fender nerd likes this.
  7. =KARMA=

=KARMA= Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

How about making him an offer so that you can keep it? :thumb:

8. Hal Nico

Hal Nico Senior Stratmaster

Check out the Fender Squier CV50 or CV60 classic vibe guitars,

:)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    Tele56, drp146 and archetype like this.
  9. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome to the forum.

If you can find an exact guitar that fits all your preferences and needs then it sounds like it'd be worth it to you to buy new.

That's usually not the case, though, and given that you can find used guitars in decent to excellent shape, depending on your patience and diligence levels, for about 60%-70% of the cost of new, there's plenty of room to budget for few mods to make it what you want, i.e., the Fralins, and still come in under the cost of new, especially if you can sell the old parts, to help defray costs.

The problem with any of this are the hurdles everyone is facing these days actually being able to try out enough guitars. With store closures/limitations and the obstacles created by the pandemic, the task become problematic. The ways to get around this are to buy locally through CL, what guitar shops remain, or other marketplaces, or buying new from an online retailer with a generous return policy.

Since you've had a guitar you've been playing that you like the feel of your task should be simplified somewhat. What I found helpful was figuring out my priorities in a guitar. First was feel, and that's mostly neck and somewhat weight and balance. Then pups and switching, which are the easiest and can be the cheapest to change. I'm not a big whammy guy, so as long as the bridge and trem are decent quality and functional they're less of a concern. Last is cosmetics/brand and that type of thing.

So if you know the neck, radius/frets/profile you like, I'd go with local avenues where you're actually able to lay hands on the guitars, and then put in the electronics you want. Often you can save enough this way, (particularly if you aren't fussy about cosmetics), to actually get what you want in a loaded pickguard, which makes turning it into the guitar you want even simpler and quicker. Also simplifies getting rid of the old parts since you can sell it all as a unit.

Of course if you're a tonehound, with all that that implies, then you're down a rabbithole only you can climb out of on your own. If you believe that all other things being equal, most of your tone comes from you and your amplification/effects, then you can do pretty well by the above method.

My 2¢. YMMV Hope you find it helpful.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    drp146 and Danny D like this.
  10. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Senior Stratmaster

Hello 64cousins and Welcome to The Forum.:)
    Did you make the guy an offer he can't refuse for the strat before giving it back?
    Tell him there is always the horses head if he refuses you.:D

Danny D likes this.
  11. rafasounds

rafasounds Senior Stratmaster

Buy used. Doesn't have to be US made. Plenty of great guitars outside of the USA, even Fender.

drp146, Danny D and jpmist like this.
  12. chas3rd

chas3rd Strat-Talker Gold Supporting Member

Save your money, buy a Suhr and don’t look back!!!

Danny D and Stratoskater like this.
  13. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member

If he won't sell you the 90's strat, go and buy one.

If you like the feel of it, you'll want something familiar.

the feel is hard to replace.

drp146 and Elvie like this.
  14. 64cousins

he probably would sell it and probably for a reasonable amount, however i don't really like the look of it (Black and White Maple neck) and I just feel like I want to take my own guitar journey with maybe a new guitar, even though I can't actually go into a shop at the mo.
    i looked at the American pro 2 and i feel like its a bit OTT for me and have sort of landed on the Original series because they seem fairly "normal", and i guess the nitro finish is a cool touch.
    i tend keep guitars for a long time and run them into the ground.

BuddyHollywood and nadzab like this.
  15. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

I hated the American original 60’s Strat and the three AO 60’s Teles I bought, returned them all within a day or two. Bought a Silver Sky and have never been happier. It’s better than the 26+ Fender Strats I’ve owned. Only fender that comes close to it I’ve owned if the EJ Signature.

16. Riderock

Riderock Strat-Talk Member

The American Original 60's Strat will feel very different than what you've been playing . Necks vary greatly with Strats .

drp146 likes this.
  17. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

If you're even willing to consider a new American Original 60s ($2000) Stratocaster, that means you've got the budget to shop around. I 100% agree with the advice that's already been given--figure out what you like about the one you've been playing, and get another one with the same features. This forum is always willing to help someone figure out which guitars have which features. But at this point I don't know whether it's the pickups you love, or the color, balance, neck profile etc.

It's possible you'll find what you want in a Squier, Fender Japan, or Fender Mexico guitar--in some cases at a fraction of the price of a USA Strat.

If you're not sure what you actually like about the one you've been playing, you need to find a big guitar store and spend some time playing every guitar in the store. If you find "the one" you won't be able to put it down. Otherwise make notes about what you do and don't like, and we can probably help you find more with the features you want.

18. stormsedge

stormsedge Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

Welcome! For me, it is about the neck...I can make the rest of it work/change it if the neck feels right to me. As others have said...time to go shopping.

19. 64cousins

I didn't like the neck when I first started playing it, I grew on me, I think I can get used to any neck. and an EJ is under serious consideration, i'm not keen on the PRS headstock.

drp146 likes this.
  20. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Why is it "outrageous" for the guy to want his guitar back?

If anything, it's outrageous you kept it for so long and didn't offer to buy it.

TrackerDan, DaMasta, circles and 3 others like this.