I know this is STRAT talk, but.....PRS for Tele swap

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarman1984, Jan 3, 2017.

1. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

Here comes my latest gas iteration...thank you internet :mad:

I currently have two Strats, one is SSS wired with a blender pot where I can blend in the neck and bridge, so I can get close to the tele middle sound.
    The other is SSH.

Due to the blended Strat, my (NICE) Baja Tele 50s gets little attention. :cool:

Now the question, I saw a very tempting used PRS custom 24 SE with quilted top which looks fabulous and I want to check it out.

If I like it I would need to swap it for the Tele. Man I love that tele but I must admit I don't play it so much.

Any suggestions? I would actually gain $100 or so in the swap.

o_O

Edit: perhaps this is not the proper forum section?

ryunker likes this.
  2. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

I personally would not be without a good Tele.

3. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Not sure how you're gaining 100 - is he throwing in 100? Your Baja Tele is $800 US new in the USA, the PRS Custom 24 SE is $759....

Yours is worth more, it's also made in Mexico as opposed to Asia...

4. guitarman1984

With current used market prices where I live in Italy, I could sell the Baja with a nice rigid tweed case and compensated brass saddles for 650€ or so, while buying the used PRS for 550€.
    So I would technically gain 100€ cash in the buying/selling operations.

Guitarmageddon likes this.
  5. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

that baja will be your friend forever even if it not getting so much play right now... i sold mine (still have my homebrewed pine tele, which is my most often played electric) and i regret it still

Lone Star1975 likes this.
  6. guitarman1984

Yeah the Baja is a cracking guitar, I think it's one of those good ones...
    However that PRS bugs me...

mfranzdorf likes this.
  7. mfranzdorf

mfranzdorf Senior Stratmaster

I know PRS makes a good guitar, but I have zero interest in them. They just do nothing for me. So, since you asked, keep that Telecaster. ( just my humble opinion of course !).

Fendereedo likes this.
  8. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster

I'd Never sell my Baja tele..hint, hint..:D

montemerrick likes this.
  9. ryunker

ryunker Senior Stratmaster

I have a PRS se 245, never had or at this point desire to have a Tele. If you never had a PRS, even though it is an import, I would for sure grab the SE. Quality on these is really good.

I know its a fender forum, but guitars are guitars, get the se.

10. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Most Honored Senior Member

Every guitar collection must have a Telecaster.The bridge position pickup tone alone is enough justification to keep the Telecaster.I am not fond of PRS guitars at all so I think swapping a Tele for a PRS would be ludicrous!!

11. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

I traded a MIM strat (granted, an '01 beater nowhere near as nice as your Baja Tele) for an SE Custom 22, and its become my favorite guitar right now. I think it's all in the neck, and I'm still a guitar newb, but I think this PRS has been showing me what my neck-spec preferences look like.

12. stratcpo

stratcpo Senior Stratmaster

Yeah they are pretty close in value and if the PRS inspires you too play it I would do the trade. The PRS is made in Korea not asia and are great quality guitars. ENJOY!!!

GunMonkeyINTL likes this.
  13. GunMonkeyINTL

GunMonkeyINTL Senior Stratmaster

Yeah.
    'cept Korea is sort of in Asia.

It's kinda like the Mexico of Asia...if that's a thing (according to the Japanese, for what it's worth, that IS a thing).

Seriously, though. Anyone who would judge a guitar strictly on where it was made is either worrying entirely about resale value, or worrying about entirely the wrong things.

mfranzdorf likes this.
  14. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too.

There are a lot of quality guitars made in Korea; I happen to own one.
    That being said, there are some places that I would prefer to send my money than others, and I'm not apologetic about that.

juzz88 likes this.
  15. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster

I have at least 1 Korean made guitar, and it's GREAT!

Solid bird's eye maple TB&S acoustic electric, Gibson-Epiphone PR7ERS. Exact same model that Ace Frehley played on KISS unplugged. Ace (while I've never been a KISS fan) probably could have gotten any Gibson family acoustic or for that matter brought in any acoustic, but he chose the PR7ERS.

I have a Hondo II possibly made by Cort in Korea, and while a lower end guitar the plywood body's top layer of laminate is flamed maple. Fitted it out with MIA HW (took some modifications to the body a little, some filling and drilled for the tremolo), a large headstock RW FB neck and some decent pups and it screams!

16. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Prs does not stamp their brand on junk.
    The SE line is really good. And I really like the action on mine. It plays like butter, and sounds very good.
    The only thing for me would be the 24 frets. Have you ever played a 24 fret? It can throw you off a little if you switch between guitars a lot.

guitarman1984 likes this.
  17. guitarman1984

Thank you all for your input so far!
    I'm gonna reflect more on the subject and possibly try out the PRS as soon as I can

18. Mandrax

Mandrax Senior Stratmaster

I've said many times here that I'm a huge fan of the PRS SE range (well PRS in general) and my most played guitar is my SE Singlecut, they are such good quality guitars. But, the Baja is also a very good tele. Personally I think you should keep the Baja, save some pennies, and scour the used guitar websites, you can pick up used SE models dirt cheap if you keep your eyes open.

Lone Star1975 and guitarman1984 like this.
  19. Mandrax

Mandrax Senior Stratmaster

The made in asia thing is a red herring, in terms of general quality, there is no difference between a Mexican made Fender and a Korean made PRS. The only area I think the Baja might shade things is with the pickups, though as always, this is a subjective opinion. I've never been a huge fan of the PRS SE pickups, mainly because they are usually a little hotter than I would go for. That said, the newest SE range have had all their pickups upgraded and are now MUCH better. The Custom 24 for example now have Korean made pickups that mirror the specs of their USA counterparts. A bit like Fender have done on the Baja I guess.

20. gilmourstrat

gilmourstrat Senior Stratmaster

I regret selling my Baja...

Lone Star1975 and guitarman1984 like this.