I love Geddy Lee

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
Pink Floyd I like but...... The later Gilmour years and Floyd while technical also have flow/feeling/vibe. Think Pulse live (but not even all of that). I'm not a fan of all Pink Floyd stuff.

Not a fan of Genesis or Yes. Have no idea who King Crimson is and won't likely look into them after this.

I'm not a dedicated fan of any band. Many of my favorite bands also have music I can't stand. If I were to listen to all music labeled Prog Rock in sure I would find some gems in there too. However, I have no interest in wading through tons of stuff I don't like to find a hidden gem when there are millions and millions of songs i do like. In the case of Rush even a song I might have liked will be ruined (for me) by Geddy's voice.

I'm willing to admit I know more about guitars in general than I do about music in general. Lol.
Curious how all this works with the no accounting for taste thing.
How do you feel about the Talking Heads for example?

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
Geddy Lee is fantastic and the perfect vocalist .............. for Rush
but not for say Journey or Fleetwood Mac.
I could imagine he would be great with AC/DC as a vocalist,
not bass as he would be an over player.

I like Geddy, voice and all. Yeah, it's different, but who wants all singers to sound the same? It'd be like listening to female quasi-rap singers like Fergie who all have that same style and accent and engineering.

As for over-playing the bass... I think every really good trio has a bass player who really plays. He's the whole rhythm section most of the time.

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
I have never had a problem with Geddy Lee's voice. No problem at all. I like Rush's music.
My gradual grok of Strat Talk is made quite difficult by stuff like bitter complaints about and rabid fans of forgotten bands.
Inside jokes I guess?
Geddy tone is a topic that never entered my mind when I listened to those guys songs and playing.
Peculiar little corner of the planet here!

Butcher of Strats

Senior Stratmaster
Feb 28, 2022
Maine
I like Geddy, voice and all. Yeah, it's different, but who wants all singers to sound the same? It'd be like listening to female quasi-rap singers like Fergie who all have that same style and accent and engineering.

As for over-playing the bass... I think every really good trio has a bass player who really plays. He's the whole rhythm section most of the time.
I gotta say, bands with so many pieces you really cant tell what some are doing, bands with keys washing the audio spectrum down with meaningless mush, bands that have zero space and think wall of sounds is better?
I find little to like about a wall of sounds with none really sticking out and no dynamic range in volume, tones, time, key, feel, or emotion.

Like velveeta for the ears.
Apologies to fans of velveeta.

ButchA

Strat-Talker
This was taken from a YouTube clip of various photos in a slideshow format. The concert was from 1978 during a performance of Cygnus X-1. I stopped it and did a Ctrl-PrtSc and saved the image, then cropped it in photoshop. You may not care for Geddy Lee's singing voice, but his musicianship on bass, keyboards, synthesizers, MIDI footpedals - all at the same time, while singing - is incredible! :cool:

Geddy.Lee.jpg

StratUp

Most Honored Senior Member
Sep 5, 2020
Altered States
I gotta say, bands with so many pieces you really cant tell what some are doing, bands with keys washing the audio spectrum down with meaningless mush, bands that have zero space and think wall of sounds is better?
I find little to like about a wall of sounds with none really sticking out and no dynamic range in volume, tones, time, key, feel, or emotion.

Like velveeta for the ears.
Apologies to fans of velveeta.

Velveeta for the ears... need to remember that phrase.

I agree. I remember when I was a young lad, I found out that Hendrix was a three piece. Likewise Cream. I was very surprised.

The wall of sound, especially taken to the extreme by producers like Spector, is not a good thing. The ol' "why just have an organ when we can have an organ, a harp, a glockenspiel, a synthesizer, and a violin all in the same musical space" theory. Way to many great songs ruined by studio shenanigans.

Mansonienne

Mod admin
Staff member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2015
Paris suburbs, France
My gradual grok of Strat Talk is made quite difficult by stuff like bitter complaints about and rabid fans of forgotten bands.
Inside jokes I guess?
Geddy tone is a topic that never entered my mind when I listened to those guys songs and playing.
Peculiar little corner of the planet here!
Flogging dead horses is one of our favorite pastimes!

[Edit: figurative horses only, of course.]

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
This was taken from a YouTube clip of various photos in a slideshow format. The concert was from 1978 during a performance of Cygnus X-1. I stopped it and did a Ctrl-PrtSc and saved the image, then cropped it in photoshop. You may not care for Geddy Lee's singing voice, but his musicianship on bass, keyboards, synthesizers, MIDI footpedals - all at the same time, while singing - is incredible! :cool:

View attachment 583001
Yep. I've been three rows away from him in awe of him singing, playing bass and synths at the same time. Earbleed seats will be forgiven for thinking there was overdubs or ghost players.

Full disclosure: they lost me after the Power Windows.

ButchA

Strat-Talker
Yep. I've been three rows away from him in awe of him singing, playing bass and synths at the same time. Earbleed seats will be forgiven for thinking there was overdubs or ghost players.

Full disclosure: they lost me after the Power Windows.
Yup.... I wish I could have seen Rush in concert, but.... oh well... :(

I have been a fan since Fly By Night, when I first heard of them... But I too agree, that after around Grace Under Pressure, they kind of got a little lost in the Synth/Pop genre, and cut way back on Alex's roaring guitar tone. Signals was their last really great, incredible album, IMHO.... :cool:

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Oh, and to top it off I have Misophonia which is a severe aversion to certain sounds.

Did not know of this condition. I can relate to some degree as I used to be overly sensitive to aluminium foil being crinkled and used. When my tinnitus went into overdrive around 2000 the foil aversion was no longer an issue.

StratoMutt

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2019
SE Pennsylvania
Yup.... I wish I could have seen Rush in concert, but.... oh well... :(

I have been a fan since Fly By Night, when I first heard of them... But I too agree, that after around Grace Under Pressure, they kind of got a little lost in the Synth/Pop genre, and cut way back on Alex's roaring guitar tone. Signals was their last really great, incredible album, IMHO.... :cool:
Yep. Grace killed them for me. Signals was a great show live.

Moving Pictures was probably their best.

Guy Incognito

Senior Stratmaster
May 14, 2019
Here and now

Did not know of this condition. I can relate to some degree as I used to be overly sensitive to aluminium foil being crinkled and used. When my tinnitus went into overdrive around 2000 the foil aversion was no longer an issue.
Yes, most people who don't have it don't believe it's a real thing.

Most people can relate to the "Nails on a chalk board" scenario but can't imagine that for some people there other sounds that also evoke the exact same reaction/feelings despite those sounds actually being harmless in nature. It's involuntary and makes no sense but is real.

Some sounds immediately make me want to pull a "Hulk Smash" for what appears to be no logical reason. It's a quick impulse/reaction that has never led to me actually doing it.

ButchA

Strat-Talker
Floyd Sneed (of Three Dog Night)??

Not even close. The only cool thing about Floyd was his ability to take the snare stick and use it halfway in between... so it would almost be like a marching band bass drum double sided wooly mallet. Floyd could do rolls on the snare one-handed with just the single stick. Very unique, but then very unconventional....Somehow, he made it work.

But getting to the point: NOBODY (besides the late, great, Buddy Rich) can touch "The Professor" on drums! :cool: