I LOVE HSS strats

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by bloomz, Apr 23, 2013.

1. Bakkels

Bakkels Strat-Talker

Well I've got a HSS but I've been longing for a sss for a long time now. Nothing wrong with the sound, and I like my Pearly Gates, but it's wayyyy louder than the other pu's. If I switch to the bridge, there's a pretty big volume increase which annoys me.
    Add to that I play more old school songs these days. So when I got the $$ I'll switch to a SSS.

Nothing wrong with a HSS though.

2. kumachan

kumachan Strat-Talker

when i bought my strat i was originally trepidatious about buying sss. i thought i would hate it always playing hums for decades. boy was i glad to be wrong. love my sss.

3. hwy1strat

hwy1strat Strat-O-Master

AMEN!!!
    11 of my 13 Strats are of the HSS format!
    There really is no more versatile guitar on the planet!
    And to top it off......they're all of the large headstock type!

4. stratman in va

stratman in va Most Honored Senior Member

One of the nice thing with Strats is that they can be customized to your needs ... can have SSS , H, HH, HSS, HSH, even HHH if you want !!

I have HH, HSH, and HSS, plus 3 that are SSS, in Strats and Strat type guitars.

HH with a phase switch can get you a very Strat like sound with the 2 pickups and run one out of phase.

5. kennytill

kennytill New Member!

Hello all...my first post. I'm kind of in himijendrix's school of thought. A Strat's a Strat and to me that means sss. Especially agree with the point about the bridge + middle sound. I pretty much need the offset single at the bridge to get that right. And having a Strat to begin with has a lot to do with 'getting it right'....that said, the humbucker can be handy, and you can get a pretty friendly quack pairing the HB with a hot middle pickup.

All tastes are valid and mine evolve and oscillate constantly. I tried a Duncan little JB in the bridge slot a few years back, with decent results. Speaking of JB, these days I'm playing a Beck signature with noiseless pickups, which I find is another great option for a fatter and hotter tone, with generally better tonal balance across the switch.

Anyway, I love the site. I'll be back.

6. rozman62

rozman62 Strat-Talker

I love both SSS and HSS. My favorite position is the #2 on a SSS. #2 position on the HSS just doesn't have the same quack. I love HSS and as Hwy1 strat states it is very flexible. I have 4 strats in which only 1 is HSS but it happens to be my #1 guitar. I most likely will sell my Am Special strat as I am not bonding with it. I don't care for the large headstocks and jumbo frets. My plan is to pickup another HSS strat-ideally a tuxedo or a surf green.

7. bloomz

bloomz Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

You're right - it certainly doesn't have the same quack - but it does have balls.

I still get the quack from position 4.

8. SixShooter

SixShooter Strat-Talk Member

Is this a common problem with HSS Strats or is it dependent on the pickups?

What pickup combos do you guys like?

9. hwy1strat

hwy1strat Strat-O-Master

Not entirely true.
    My HSS Strats have plenty of quack in position 2!
    The difference is so m miniscule.....NO ONE in the audience will call you on it....unless.... like I've said before....you're playing to an audience of guitarists!!

10. JohnDH

JohnDH Senior Stratmaster

The volume difference on an HSS depends on the pups. My am special can be set anywhere from having matching volumes, to having a significant bridge volume boost, which is where I have it. It's all to do with pickup height.

11. widget

widget Strat-O-Master

I have an AD that came HSS. I tried to like the set up, but it never happened. The HB was wired to split in pos 2 and sounded 'nasally'. The bucker - like someone else mentioned was way louder and no pup adjustment fixed that. I finally gave up on it and replace hb with sc - for that git - much better!
    My H-H strat I love as is!
    I hear/see others playing hss and sounding great, but I just couldn't pull it off
    enjoy

12. bloomz

I think I need an HSH now.

13. curtain_with

curtain_with Senior Stratmaster

I think you do too!

14. dsnow771

dsnow771 Strat-Talk Member

DUDES! I just found out my '97 american standard has a "swimming pool" route, i could do HHH maybe? LOL

15. Danos

Danos Strat-Talk Member

Love my HSS too:

[​IMG]

Neck: SD Hot Rails
    Middle: Hot Noiseless
    Bridge: DH-1

Position 1 is bridge, Position 2 is neck and bridge, Position 3 is neck, Position 4 is neck and middle, Position 5 is middle.

Extremely versatile guitar with a variety of tones. Positions 2 and 4 are especially nice.

16. arnie5150

arnie5150 Strat-Talk Member

Me too. 2 of the 5 are HSS. I really want to mod the Squier to a HHH though!

image-2713629179.jpg

image-349768880.jpg

17. albala

albala Dr. Stratster

18. bloomz

Since getting the ethos overdrive (sounds best with buckers) and the DRRI - I really think I now need an HSH

I'm sure everyone here agrees - just one more

19. MrPoppa2

MrPoppa2 Senior Stratmaster

Pickup choices.....??

I think we are very fortunate to have so many pup choices avalable, or the ability to change a Strat to whatever we want. That said, I baught a new Squier HH in Sunburst, for $99.00, and I have to say WOW! Its hard to put down, even the pups are nice on these, feels light, but a welcome thing to bad backs like mine. I love this guitar, but it does not sound like a Strat, but in no way a bad sound, deep and throaty, but one of the few guitars I own that the tone knobs work! Try one out soon with a good amp, these HH Bullets are shocking!

If you get a chance, pull up Rich Menga's demo on this guitar on You-Tube, very good demo and entertaining! Oh, I reliced the back of the neck on this, turned out very cool! ...poppa

Attached Files:

20. MrDon

MrDon Strat-Talker

I used to only use some sort of humbucker in the bridge. Be it a single coil sized jb or hot rails or a full size humbucker. I loved that set up with 2 noiseless single coils.
    Since then I have gone SSS in all of my strats. I can get close enough to my old rock tone with the pickups I have in my strats. Kinman Woodstocks are a good substitute and very balanced.