I love Seattle, but...

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by StratSounds, May 22, 2019.

1. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

I’m not used to days on end of overcast skies and rain, which is what Northern Utah has been getting for the past week, and it’s likely continuing until the weekend. Then we’ll get a short break of sunny skies for a couple days before the next wave hits. That’s been our pattern so far this spring. It’s a bit unusual, we normally average around 220 sunny days a year.

Today it’s 45 degrees and pissing rain...again, and snowing in the mountains. I’ve noticed how the sun affects my mood, not seeing it for awhile starts to bring me down. We need the water, but a couple of sunny 75 degree teaser days followed by days of rain and 50 degrees is starting to get old.:mad: Ok, spoiled by sun, cabin fever, itching to get back on the mountain bike...rant over. On the upside, I have been playing a lot of guitar lately, maybe that’s why so many bands have come from Seattle.

2. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I grew up in southern Arizona from the time I was about 9 through high school. I was SORT OF used to a lot of sun! Then I decided to go to college in Olympia, Washington, which gets about three times as much rain as Seattle. Seattle is protected by the Olympic Mountains, which catch a LOT of rain before it gets to Seattle - Olympia is farther south than the Olympic range and so there's nothing to stop the rain. Let's say the sun bails out by sometime in late October or early November and may not show it's face again until well into March. And it's not like it's around all that much in the Spring or Summer either, but there are some amazingly gorgeous days when it is. Those Olympia winters nearly killed this southwestern kid. I had to take a LOT of illicit substances to try to work up a hallucination of the sun.

Later, after spending another few years in the SW and then finishing school, I settled in Seattle. Compared to Olympia, it was a piece of cake. It rained often, and for prolonged periods. But rarely hard. I live in the Philly area now and we get more annual precipitation than Seattle does, although we don't have near as many rainy days...

-Ray

3. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Sweatin' Bullets

Don't rub it in... We're sweatin' our asses off down here...

StratSounds likes this.
  4. StratSounds

Sorry man, I grew up in Texas, just north of Houston, so I get it. I’ve been out here for about 25 years and now I’m a lightweight when it comes to heat. I’m definitely not complaining about the cold, just the grey skies and constant rain. We’re not used to that here!

elduderinoTF likes this.
  5. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

Welcome to the UK:p

ZlurkCorzDog, JB74, felis and 2 others like this.
  6. elduderinoTF

elduderinoTF Sweatin' Bullets

You know what I'm talkin' about then.

StratSounds likes this.
  7. StratSounds

Oh yeah, I try every excuse in the book to get out of visiting family down there in the summer. I prefer winter visits to Southeast Texas, thank you very much!

elduderinoTF likes this.
  8. KG7IL

KG7IL Strat-Talk Member

I was born in Renton, and came home to a Seattle address (Now Normandy Park)..Lived most of my life here, with short stints in Alaska, California, Florida and now SnowBird in Arizona

Growing up, the weather never seemed to be a problem. Perhaps the resilience of youth? But with age and injury, I gave up Snow Skiing and no longer looked forward to winters... which can be wet in the lowlands, snow in the mountains. I now look forward to avoiding them and enjoy offroading in the winter in the Arizona deserts.

Most natives still love the outdoors and work around the weather. Summers are the Best... It's just hard to know when those two weeks will happen tho. .. So there is a fair amount of inside time and inside activities help fill the time. We build Airplanes, Software, Music and other stuff inside.

We also have a large number of folks that love the music festivals, small venues and large.
    I think the weather and music kinda go hand in hand here in the Pacific Northwest.

StratSounds likes this.
  9. StratSounds

Yep, been there, done that! Oxford last April, rained constantly, Ireland late this February, perfect warm sunny weather for a few days, then the normal weather returned, super soaker!

ukoldgit and simoncroft like this.
  10. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

Love it here, the weather is a huge plus for me.

But I support grousing about it.

11. StratSounds

I see what you did there.;) Well played sir, well played.

circles likes this.
  12. montemerrick

montemerrick no earthly reason why

the PNW will always be my home... the temperate weather, the misty rain... it's my jam.

13. StratSounds

Trees certainly like it. That’s why yours are so much bigger than ours.:whistling:

montemerrick likes this.
  14. simoncroft

simoncroft Dr. Stratster Silver Member

You should try Manchester, the city with the most rainfall in the UK. They love summer up there. It's their favourite day of the year! :D

owenmoney, 3bolt79, Deathray and 6 others like this.
  15. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

I bet thruppney may question you on thato_O

16. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

I miss Seattle. Those 2 week summers were blissful.

17. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I was born in and grew up in northwest Oregon, which has similar weather. Some people complain it rains too much here, but I'm used to it. I actually don't mind much, since many of the things I like to do don't require being outdoors (at least, not for long periods of time). I don't feel like I get depressed in cloudy/rainy weather either.. I feel like I'm the opposite - Sometimes I feel more depressed when it's sunny and warm outside for long periods of time. If I actually go out and do something fun, that might help with that, but I tend not to like hot weather, and I sunburn easily..

StratSounds likes this.
  18. strat_strummer

strat_strummer Most Honored Senior Member

I agree, however I'm in Idaho and the roof decided to leak on my camper and ruined the ceiling above the shower. Rain Rain go away come back yesterday...

ZlurkCorzDog and StratSounds like this.
  19. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Time to hunker down in the woodshed

20. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Most Honored Senior Member

Not missing New Jersey yet?