I need a new black nut for my Acoustasonic Tele

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Karol, May 4, 2021.

1. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

I didn't notice when buying the guitar (newbie...) but the slot for the thinnest string is too far to the edge:

PXL_20210504_221227375.jpg

I need to get it replaced. Thought about buying something ready to use and only adjust the slots depth myself, when setting it up. Do you have any pointers, where could I get the right nut for this guitar? Must be black too :p

Nut Width
    1.6875" (42.86 mm)

Nut Material
    Graph Tech® TUSQ®

Official specs: https://shop.fender.com/en-US/american-acoustasonic-telecaster/0972013206.html

2. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

It is fine. It's evenly spaced with the bass side. It's only supposed to be about 1/8" from the edge.

4. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

You mean my current nut is fine, or the new one will be fine?

5. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

Mine high E string is definitely way closer to the edge, than on this Strat:
    Screen Shot 2021-05-05 at 10.23.00 am.png

Also it just feels wrong, and often when playing vibrato, the string slides off the fretboard...

6. REWTX

REWTX Strat-Talker

Looks ok to me.

Karol likes this.
  7. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

It is something you could do yourself.
    But a proper set of nut files costs what it would cost to have a good tech cut two nuts properly.
    And it's most likely that your first two nuts will not be usable... even the pros mung nuts every now and then.

Nate D, Impulsive guppy and Karol like this.
  8. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-O-Master

I had the exact same issue with mine. It seems at Fender’s quality is iffy in this area. It should be covered under warranty and the authorized tech basically “recut” the high E in mine but I was not satisfied as the spacing was “off”.

I ended up giving my Tele Acoustasonic to my own tech and he replaced it with a Grapghtech Tusq nut.

BC85DDBE-B4AC-4201-B567-BA413504E060.jpeg

Attached Files:

henderman, CB91710 and Karol like this.
  9. DIYrocker

DIYrocker Senior Stratmaster

Yeah, check out Graphtech Tusq nuts.

Karol likes this.
  10. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

LOL you got me laughing, cause not only it's funny but it's most likely very true.

1 nut is 22 AUD where I live, and good files set around 150 AUD... 2 unusable nuts add 44 AUD extra. I may call a local luthier then and see how much would they charge me...

11. Impulsive guppy

Impulsive guppy Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Did you add the string tree?

Just curious because the OP looks like no string tree.

12. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

Oh so you even tried with them... interesting - they tried to recut it instead of replacing it? I wonder how that would even work... and cannot exactly see from your old nut on the pic what did he do.

13. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Ya, a file set is a good investment if it's something you intend to do frequently... or if you are a habitual tinkerer.

14. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

Tech says 80 AUD for new graphite nut. Sounds like a fair deal to me...

CB91710 likes this.
  15. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Silver Member

Just (me)
    But
    I'd crack it loose
    N
    Move it over .0010

BuddyHollywood likes this.
  16. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Wow, I only know of 4 people who have Acoustasonics on the forum and you’re telling me that two guys have bad nuts? What are you guys - diesel mechanics?

Anyway, I guess I consider myself lucky, my Acoustasonic was perfect out of the box- flawless. Maybe, just maybe a case for why getting the ModShop version got me a better instrument? Speculative :thumbd: . Here’s a picture of my nut for comparison purposes.
    0712EA2F-8FB9-4829-B4AA-45A55B5D2508.jpeg

Karol likes this.
  17. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

Nice, that's the spacing I'm after!

By the way - does it matter what strings do you want to cut it for? Nut file thickness is usually matching corresponding string, so I assume it may matter... I use 10s.

Torvald likes this.
  18. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

I think it just needs to be what the stock nut sting groove width is to accommodate what’s supposed to be on it. Just because we’re running thinner strings doesn’t mean we should have thinner nut grooves. In my picture I have 9’s on it just to see what it feels like. I’m going to 10’s tomorrow. I have no plan to use and play my Acoustasonic like intended by most people with larger bronze strings and have it sound like an acoustic guitar. I play acoustically not plugged into an amp 98% of the time and just with a ToneWoodAmp attached to the back for some effects, poops and giggles. I just enjoy how freakin light the guitar is and how many things it can do. Plus it looks cool (to me anyway) ;) I like playing it like a normal electric guitar no cowboy chords. I’d be curious to know how many people who buy Acoustasonics play them like to sound like an acoustic guitar versus just a normal guitar.

Karol likes this.
  19. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

This is what I love about it too. I do use 10s but want to try 9s - all acoustic strings, because the fishman system seems to be tuned for them. But I play the guitar in all the ways I know. Electric, acoustic. I don't care. I plug it direct to PA but run it through Boss GT-1000Core as well if I need some delays or reverbs, and some other blows and whistles. Even amp sims are good enough via this small device.

And YES - it looks cool! Many people told me that, who knows nothing about guitars, that this is the coolest guitar they've seen. One mentioned he wanted to buy it simply as a wall decoration, but then I told him the price...

Deafsoundguy likes this.
  20. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talker

As obnoxiously expensive as these Acoustasonic guitars are, it's good to know there are people that feel "lucky" when they get one that doesn't need to be worked on right away.
    That's not a knock on you Deafsoundguy, or anyone else---it is a knock on Fender Quality Control. It's just disheartening that one has to feel "lucky" any more to be getting a decent product for their hard earned money.

Karol and Deafsoundguy like this.