I need a new black nut for my Acoustasonic Tele

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Karol, May 4, 2021.

1. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Generally, electric nuts are cut for anything below 12. I've gone to 11 without actually needing to make any adjustment.
    The Acoustasonic may be cut like a traditional acoustic, which would be up around 13, or it may be a little tighter... but having it cut for 11s will be fine.

Karol and Deafsoundguy like this.
  2. henderman

henderman Most Honored Senior Member

i have made things from scratch my whole life and my biggest percentage of failure is in cutting string nut spacing, it takes nothing to screw one up when you were almost finished !

my experience also is if the string nut spacing and slot heights are off it will make a guitar horrible to play.

Karol, CB91710 and Deafsoundguy like this.
  3. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

The current one looks fine. Is there anywhere on the neck you can't fret a note? If you measure from the edge of the fretboard to the middle of the string it should be 1/8". That's the spec. But I would not be too concerned about it being a little closer as long as you can get clear notes all the way up the neck.

Karol likes this.
  4. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Looks like mine is also pretty close to the edge.

AcoustasonicNut.jpg

It never bothered me, and in fact, I never even noticed it until just now, after reading this thread. I'll probably just leave it alone.

Karol likes this.
  5. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Yes it does look a hair off but then again the lighting of your pic with it being dark on the questionable side makes it kinda hard to really tell..... Still, it is kinda concerning that 3 out of 4 owners have shifted spacing...:( ... and yes Fender needs to do better... especially with that guitar costing so much o_O .

mapleglo and Karol like this.
  6. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

Fretting is fine, I can always fret it, but if I mis-press while fretting, moving a string a tiny bit down, it may slip from the fretboard entirely... and this is what I was caught out on few times... I know - I should work on my technique more :D

1/8" is 3mm. I have max 2mm on mine, and because the edge is nicely rounded, it seems to be even closer.

Last edited: May 5, 2021
  7. Karol

Karol Strat-Talk Member

You're probably a very good player who doesn't make mistakes, at least while fretting that string :D can't be said about me... so I count on a guitar being a bit forgiving hehe

8. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

You can have another nut made if you like. They don't just pop in. It takes skill to do it right. To me, it's no big deal. This is one I made. I have no issues with it.

16202635638527901524179071917165.jpg

Karol likes this.
  9. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talker

Yes. To me that looks like a straight on shot (pic)....and the nut should have gone a bit further north (towards the low E). That's a travesty in my mind for what people pay for these Acoustasonic's.

I'm guessing the reason why the high E doesn't jump "off & out" of the nut groove is because you don't attack it like I do.
    I play like me. And a lot of people play like me (and I play like a lot of people)---and that wouldn't cut it for me on a guitar of this caliber.
    I'm not buying an expensive ride, just to take it home and make it right. I can do that with a $179.00 Squier. Sorry.

Last edited: May 6, 2021
  10. mapleglo

mapleglo Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I lol'd when I read this. I'm a hack :p

I understand.

CB91710 likes this.