I need a support group

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by cranky, May 3, 2021.

1. cranky

cranky Senior Stratmaster

Lol I ain't looking! I've deleted my CL app, I have one minor piece of gear to sell on Reverb, and I hardly visit Reverb anyway.

My Jazzmaster will come from MF late July once all of my points are redeemable. That's goal #1: buy nothing else from MF until then, redeem all points at once, and then be done. I'll have enough points to get a substantial discount on the JM as planned. I don't need any gear, and I won't be made to desire any in the meantime.

The Hummingbird I'd like to buy locally. We have a decent, independently owned shop that's an authorized dealer for the big brands like Gibson and Fender. I wanna give them my money when the time comes, I'm not feeling the urge at all right now though.

3bolt79 and Groovey like this.
  2. cranky

Yeah, I'm not expecting a deal on a Hummingbird and I don't window shop for them. I've played one for a bit at GC, my affections were confirmed, and that's enough for me for now. Those things are treasures.

3bolt79, Bob the builder and Groovey like this.
  3. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

CL is done. I hate to say so, but Facebook Marketplace has taken over. I don't use Facebook. If you don't want to either, find a proxy.

4. cranky

I don't do FB period. CL, like Reverb, I only started because I wanted to move some of my own gear, and then I kinda got sucked in. It'll happen again, but I've been burned by a couple of Reverb sellers now so I'm over that site as a buyer. CL ain't done, but it's past its prime.

I'm in a place now where, if I want something, I'd rather go to the shop and buy it and support a proper professional shop owner. Old fashioned, no more runaround from shady sellers and tire kickers for me.

5. Groovey

Groovey Dr. Stratster

Me neither. But I found a proxy and got the blue 68 fender deluxe ri.

ZlurkCorzDog and CB91710 like this.
  6. StratUp

StratUp Strat-O-Master

Username checks out.

CB91710 likes this.
  7. FireFunkRevival

FireFunkRevival Strat-Talker

If it makes you feel better, I get this way too. I think we need to focus on being happy with what we have and also happy for others when they find what they are looking for.

Bob the builder and cranky like this.
  8. cranky

Haha.

I'm cranky because I like bicycles.

I'm not cranky because other people's jokes bomb. Not something I'd take on myself.

guitartwonk, 3bolt79 and CB91710 like this.
  9. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

The Edge has rendered church services all across North America to be U2 sound alikes whenever the house band is pretending to play church music.

3bolt79 likes this.
  10. Blackmore Fan

On topic, I was talking to a member here and mentioned a revelation I had this past weekend. My place has WAY too much "B-" grade material. You know what I'm talking about:

*A great sounding Strat...that needs a new neck
    *A great looking Strat...that needs its new pickups installed
    *A great looking Strat copy that has great pickups...that needs a setup and revisions to the pots
    *No tube screamer that I'm happy with (its an essential--so why do I keep skipping past it to buy other stuff?)
    *No tuner pedal (even though I HATE crappy clip-ons--so why do I keep skipping past this to buy other stuff?)
    *A great looking acoustic....that's lifeless due solely to needing a serious setup by a great tech or to be sold
    *Two solid state amps that sound "good"...but not a tube amp around and I'm dying for one to be had again

So my resolution going forward is to stop the nonsense. No more "B-" gear. Make it an "A" or don't buy it.

11. cranky

Yeah, that's kinda where I was a couple years ago. I'm not much for tinkering, but I was always cheapin' out on myself, so I had a modest collection of gear -- an acou or two, one electric and a modeling amp. Then I got curious, but still on the cheap -- another acoustic, a couple of electrics, a couple budget pedals. But when I decided I deserved a proper amp, that kinda opened the floodgates. Now I've spent the last 6 months putting together a collection of guitars, pedals and amps in a more deliberate way. The more I learned, the more curious I've gotten. But I'm ready to sit on my current situation for a while . . . if I can only break this habit of browsing gear.

Blackmore Fan and 3bolt79 like this.
  12. Exhead

Exhead Strat-O-Master

That's why I leave for long periods this place gives one bad GAS. Come here to see what's up and my collection grows by 10 guitars and I have 5 projects going on at oncee.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    cranky and Blackmore Fan like this.
  13. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘I am probably the most GAS afflicted, worse guy here. I am still averaging one or two new pieces of gear a month. I have 17 guitars right now, and I buy a lot of cheapies that I work on for practicing repair work. I did leveling and crowning on several guitars, before I ever touched one of my keepers, and then turned around and sold them. Took a loss on a couple, broke even on most, and made 30 dollars on one.

Stonetone, cranky and Blackmore Fan like this.
  14. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

‘I have 17 guitars right now, and two more coming. Most of the stuff I buy is B list gear. I think 6 of my guitars are grade A, and I have one grade A amp.

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  15. cranky

What makes guitars or amps grade A or B?

16. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Dr. Stratster

I think the @Blackmore Fan is talking about the difference between the most expensive professional quality gear, and B gear as in the example of the 500mdollar Kramer’s, Ibanez, and sub 1000 Jackson’s like I’ve got that are made in Indonesia.

For example, my most expensive, hand made guitar sells for 8 grand. That would definitely be A. And my least expensive guitar was 111 dollars. Probably not a B though. More like a D:p

Stonetone likes this.
  17. CB91710

CB91710 No GAS shortage here Double Platinum Supporting Member

Yep.
    For the price of one Gibson R4 you could get 10 Epiphones.

My next major purchases after my DSG Explorer is complete will be a 2022 Camry hybrid, and a Gibson R4.

I've tried to focus on "A" grade since 2017 after being frustrated with my '14 Epiphone SG, and have done pretty well, but there are a couple of Partscaster builds in progress, and I did get the Harley Benton GoldTop and D'Angelico Premier EXL-1
    The D'Angelico was a deal almost TGTBT, but it was on Amazon, don't know if it was a mistake or a deep discount, but it was nearly 50% off, and I've been wanting a jazz box for a long time.
    It was a good price point, as I have no need or desire to spend $10k+ on a really nice jazz box.
    The Harley Benton was an impulse buy and I've not bonded with it.

18. cranky

Day 1 complete. No gear browsed. No withdrawals.

It's maybe kinda a cheat day, though, as all three of my last purchases arrived today. One of which is a lovely Gretsch Streamliner hollow body.

In the meantime, my other bit of shenanigans involves a Tele body to sand and refinish and a new neck to put on it. The bushings and tuners arrived today.

I have work to do and music to practice.

Oddly, I've been in more of an acoustic mood the last week or two.

19. Blackmore Fan

Step 1 taken today! I dropped off the "great looking Strat.... that needs its new pickups installed" to a guitar tech. If he does a good job with the SSL-1s, I'll let him tackle my "great looking acoustic...that's lifeless" for a proper setup.

cranky likes this.
  20. Collin D Plonker

Collin D Plonker Strat-O-Master

Yes. That's a good idea. I need a group to support my gear buying habit, also. If everyone here kicks in 20 bucks, that would go a long way to fulfill my latest GAS. Checks are fine, but cash is king.

cranky likes this.