Join Strat-Talk Today

I need help deciding...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by qjenks23, Feb 9, 2019.

Which one do you think i should choose?

1. White road worn

15 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. Candy apple red classic series

9 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Monterey strat

2 vote(s)
    6.7%
  4. Purple tele

4 vote(s)
    13.3%
  1. Yves

Yves Most Honored Senior Member

You know both the Monterey and 60s roadworn have vintage-style 7.25”radius.
    The roadworn has narrow jumbo frets and the Monterey the vintage (thin) frets.
    I personally like to play the vintage specs because I learnt to play on this types of necks as a young man. However I find the fret wires wear a lot faster than they used to back on the old days.
    These days I play more a (modern specs) 9.5 radius and it feels great. I imagine most of the guitars you have been playing have probably modern specs and a 9.5 radius with meatier frets may suit you best, feel more comfortable to play. also with meatier fret wires, you'll have the option to have a re-crowning done a few years down the line once they wore flat on top.
    Have you tried the 60s American Original? I love the way it feels and looks too. it combines vintage looks with modern features.

2. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

The same reason that many of us prefer a leather jacket after it's been well worn in (shiny, stiff new leather jackets are awful) or prefer a comfy pair of old shoes in the last year before they fall apart - they feel good.

Well they feel good if they're done very well. Unfortunately the Road Worns are not done well, they skimped & cut too many corners, which is why I avoid them.

3. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

It’s a fair point about fretwear, but to give it a little context my MIJ 62 strat has been played almost everyday for 23 years, lots of that time with 13 gauge strings and digging in hard. Yes the frets are worn now but it’s still a few years away from a refret.

LuckyRaccoon and Yves like this.
  4. Yves

Your st62 MIJ is 23 years old.
    My St 62 MIJ is now 2.5 years old and the frets are already flattened not leaving enough to recrown.
    I suspect they use a softer alloy since you got yours

Martins Strat likes this.
  5. stratman323

Is it an alloy?

6. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, it's copper, nickel and zinc. Usually 60/20/20, but as @Yves says, the modern stuff seems to be getting very soft, guitar frets aren't the only things where this is becoming an issue, possibly cause by the amount of recycled material used now.

Yves and Martins Strat like this.
  7. Martins Strat

Blimey, yes I guess that’s the kind of specs they don’t tell us.

8. Martins Strat

You’ve got a MIJ same age as mine haven’t you? How are the frets on yours?

Yves likes this.
  9. Thrup'ny Bit

They've been levelled a couple of times, it's getting close to being refretted, but it has been played to death...

10. Yves

Only based on my personal assumption I should have added.
    Oh! Just saw it was confirmed

11. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Senior Stratmaster

Have you been out there trying any?
    You should be.
    Really.
    Your parents are getting it for you as a graduation gift. You don't want to be disappointed with it down the road.

AxemanVR, qjenks23 and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  12. Yves

Yeah... see this old thread...
    I'd go for the CS ones. Cause you don't know if the old guy will come up with such an offer again...
    (That's an old guy talking) my old guy never did.
    Go crazy !! You won't have another chance!!!

13. stratman323

I assumed that frets must simply be steel since one of the alternatives is stainless steel. It hadn't occurred to me that it might be an alloy that's mainly copper. So steel frets wouldn't work?

14. Thrup'ny Bit

Steel would work as frets, but it would be harder to work with. Quite what the stuff they call stainless steel is, I'm not sure, but it isn't what your kitchen knives are made from.

Yves and Cerb like this.
  15. Cerb

Cerb Most Honored Senior Member

And your kitchen knives aren't made from the stuff that the fastenings on your boat are. There are many types of stainless steel with different qualities. Take your knives on a trip across the Atlantic and they will rust :) I always assumed that the stainless frets were at least the same quality as your average cutlery. Now I'm left wondering.

16. qjenks23

qjenks23 New Member!

Yes I’ve tried them all and like them all for different reasons, that’s why i need help deciding.

AxemanVR and Bob the builder like this.
  17. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Strat-Talk Supporter

`
    I chose the "White Road Worn" in your poll because I think they look cool and I love the Tex Mex pickups on my 50s Road Worn Strat. Here's a review and some in depth relicing tips I did on it:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/2018-fender-road-worn-50s-stratocaster-review-relic-tips.499873/

Don't let anyone dissuade you because they "just don't get" the Road Worn thing. The ones that "do get it" seem to love theirs! I admit that it took a little extra work, but I can honestly say I love mine now.

Furthermore, I actually like the wear mark on the white guitars better for some reason, so that wouldn't be an issue for me.

As far as fret wear is concerned, I'm sure the frets will be fine on any of the models you listed.

And, contrary to the insinuation that the urethane neck is a downside, I found it to be an advantage when I had to clear coat the fretboard relic job I did (as outlined in my thread) since I wanted keep the satin finish but did not want to risk any incompatibilities. Over a month later and there are no signs of any problems so far. Either way, it's still the smoothest, fastest neck I've got by a long shot and I love that as well.

But, as others have mentioned, not everyone likes the fretboard radius or truss rod adjustment at the heel on the vintage style necks - although I noticed that they did add a little notch to access it on the 60s Road Worn. Anyone know if that gives decent access for truss rod adjustments or not?

Anyway... Good Luck @qjenks23!

`

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
    Yves likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.