Join Strat-Talk Today

I Need Help Identifying My Mystery Stratocaster

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by clamato, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Stratoblaster

Stratoblaster Strat-O-Master

That MIJ seems to be all over the place with regards to consistency. I thought it might be some early version of the HRR before they called it that. Would be interesting to see the neck heel and whether it has a 4th hole that lines up with a standard neck plate. I noticed the knobs and toggle. I kind of assumed the toggle was a mod that replaced a knob. Did they even use those "F" knobs in 89?

2. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yes, on a rare model that @John C identified earlier in the thread, so I'm glad we called him in :)

3. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

Yeah but we ain't gotta turn it around to strap it on

crawdaddy likes this.
  4. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

It doesn't present well for photos when in the case, but I open the case with my right hand, then grasp the neck with my left hand and pull it up to playing position.
    If the case were reversed, I'd have to swap hands after taking it out of the case :p:p

crawdaddy likes this.
  5. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Don’t see how, mine isn’t, the biggest hole is on the same side as the body of the guitar and the long thin bit where the neck goes is the other side. Looks like he’d sorted the problem and got the right case and the guitar fitting into it a few pics. down.

6. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

You're welcome. I noticed you mentioned that the "C" serial numbers were typically used earlier - that seems to be a "hallmark" of the oddball "last of the Contemporary" models - both the OP's and the "standard" SSS/pickguard model (once it moved from the Kahler 2550 to the Kahler Spyder): they all have MIJ serial number prefixes that were normally found 2-3 years earlier than these guitars were made.

7. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, that C serial is usually only on 1985/86 models which is odd....but I guess they found some old decals ?? who knows......

8. Tone Guru

Tone Guru Senior Stratmaster

So a few years later than the serial number might indicate ?
    That explains why it's not in my service lit which is less complete after about 1989.

9. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member

Plus this model was only around for 12-18 months before it was dropped and the HRR series came out. It might have technically been say mid-year 1990 through mid-year 1991. Fender used to have a fairly complete set of price lists (late CBS era through FMIC era) online but they took them down about a year ago; those were a real treasure trove of information.

10. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-Talker

Its the same case in every pic. He just turned the guitar 180 degrees more and put it right back in the case it came out of.

All he did was take it out, turn it 180 degrees, and lay it in top of the open case for the first pic. Then turned it another 180 and put it back in the case for the pic 10/10.

Wrighty likes this.
  11. Wrighty

Wrighty Most Honored Senior Member

Doh! My brain cell hurts!

Wound_Up likes this.
  12. dueducs

dueducs Senior Stratmaster

That's an interesting perspective... as a righty, I grab the guitar by the neck, pull it out, twist up and start playing. All seems very ergonomic.
    As a lefty, the guitar has to be turned to get it into playing position horizontally 180 degrees.
    All about perspective, right? I mean, left? :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.