I now see why people hate GC

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Randy_Lahey, Jun 4, 2020.

1. Randy_Lahey

Randy_Lahey Strat-Talker

Ordered Cry baby Wah(the one up from base model) used
    and EH Tone tatoo(3 combo effect, delay, chorus and metal fuzz I think).

Cry baby is broken. The side selector knob is ratting around, and it's missing one of the feet so it wobbles about. Sound Cuts in and out when this is in the loop. Listed as good or excellent I forget

EH Tone tatoo is missing the power adapter it should come with per factory listing.

combine this with the damaged Squier Contemporary Strat I got 2 months ago, I think this will be my final GC purchase unless they have something spicey in the local store if life ever returns to near normal.

Oh and I ordered a Yamaha Pacifica that never made it to me b/c of pandemic and they credited me minus shipping.

Yeah, not happy!

Stratafied likes this.
  2. Stratafied

Stratafied Most Honored Senior Member

Can’t blame you for being pizzed

3. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

They are horrible about having broken and/or non disclosed issues with online sales.

Sam Ash did similar to me.

Rattlesnakedaddy likes this.
  4. Antstrat

Antstrat Most Honored Senior Member

GC is good for in person buying not mail order.

fattboyzz, GaryM, Rbert0005 and 3 others like this.
  5. effy

effy Strat-Talk Member

I realized the other day that I've returned more than I've ever kept from Guitar Center.

And not because I'm particularly picky.

Randy_Lahey and wrvond like this.
  6. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

Minus shipping? For a guitar you never got? I think I'd be talking to someone in corporate. :mad:

7. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast

That is a sad tale of woe.

Stonetone likes this.
  8. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Senior Stratmaster

Refund minus shipping for an item never received?!?:eek::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Stonetone and LPBlue like this.
  9. Ironwolf

Ironwolf Strat-O-Master Gold Supporting Member

When you buy used, your buying someone else's problem/junk. Buying it sight unseen is about as dumb as it gets.

10. Duane_the_tub

Duane_the_tub Strat-O-Master

Yeah, buying used gear from GC online is definitely a crapshoot (emphasis on crap). They don't even bother to post descriptions beyond just the overall condition of the item. I've found it's necessary to call the actual store where the item is physically located and insist on an in- hand description. They usually hate doing it, but otherwise it's a deal breaker for me. Been burned too many times.

soulman969 likes this.
  11. nadzab

nadzab Play Don't Worry Silver Member

Well, no, there are plenty of fine used guitars to be had on ebay, Reverb, etc. Sure there are perils to buying online, but few things in life are perfect - you just have to be smart about it and make sure there's a reasonable return policy in place. A lot people live in areas where the supply of new guitars in physical stores is pretty sparse, much less used guitars, so options are limited.

NBKYWY downandout and REWTX like this.
  12. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Senior Stratmaster

GC is a retailer. They didn't produce the defective products you received. GC has an industry exclusive return policy - which includes used gear. You are more fortunate than the majority that didn't purchase from GC. The others will have to manage inferior customer service to get replacements or refunds on defective products.

johnl4 and blackstratmaple like this.
  13. White Dog

White Dog Strat-Talker

Yah; I make sure I am protected by a "Return Policy" when purchasing on-line new or used.
    Have only two products I've ordered from Guitar Center...a new 2012 MIM Standard Strat; ordered IN STORE because they didn't have the color I wanted on display or in storage. That is my favorite 'go to' guitar; I got lucky. And a used Fender Acoustasonic Junior amp (sight unseen except the one photo on their used gear site), listed in 'Excellent Condition" and showed up in excellent condition...paid $25 for shipping on the amp, and since there are no mechanical and/or cosmetic flaws in and or on it...I am happy with my purchase.

I'm not sticking up for Guitar Center, I know how they operate, just merely describing my limited experience with them.

14. Randy_Lahey

Randy_Lahey Strat-Talker

ouch! I guess living 30-45 minutes drive from any music store, which are currently closed anyway, and expecting descriptions to be accurate is being dumb! Live and learn.

NBKYWY downandout likes this.
  15. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

Well... you are buying from a company massively in debt, it makes sense they take a return, toss it back into a box and ship it off as new.
    Same thing happened to me, they chunked my guitar, etc, GC sucks, and I am sorry if that's all you have in your town.
    Sweetwater is less sucky.

16. Randy_Lahey

Randy_Lahey Strat-Talker

Yeah I got lucky with gc on my Vox amp I had shipped, and I bought my Epiphone les Paul at the local gc. Those were great experiences.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    3bolt79 likes this.
  17. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985

I've had several good experiences buying stuff at my local GC, but I have never ordered anything online from GC.

3bolt79 and Randy_Lahey like this.
  18. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @Randy_Lahey -Buddy.

Very sorry that the pedals arrived broken.

Does Sweetwater maybe have a better return policy ?

3bolt79 likes this.
  19. soulman969

soulman969 Senior Stratmaster

Some very nice deals on used gear can be found but as most have said it's a gamble that you'll ever get what you think you're getting. I've found that it depends on the store selling it. Maybe they should think about a separate DBA under which to sell used gear. Something like Returns R Us. LOL

But if you press them hard enough some things work out OK. Here's an example.

Several years ago I saw an original Roland Blues Cube 60 listed for $175/excellent condition from a store out East. It was after hours so a call to the store was impossible and I didn't want to miss out on an amp that then often went for $300-$350 and more. So I bought but had it shipped to my local store just in case.

It arrived in a box big enough to ship a full size washing machine and along with a sales rep we unboxed it there in the store. The grill cloth was torn, the speaker cone punctured by whatever tore through the grill cloth, the reverb tank was punked, and several of the control knobs were missing their brass caps.

Other than that it was in excellent condition because it did actually work quite well. LOL

They offered to refund me but I said lemme take it home and see what it would take to fix this up again. So I did some homework for them and came up with an estimate but due to the labor costs the selling store wanted no part of that or wanting it back so they refunded me and my guys at the local store just gave me the amp.

I spent $20 on a new reverb tank, about $10 for some new grill cloth, and GC sold me a Emi CRex at cost to replace the stock speaker which Roland wanted $249 for as a part. It was pretty much a beefed up 75w Emi Legend at 3x the price. So including the $12.50 shipping I ended up with roughly $125 into a great amp.

It just took some insistence on my part that they put the amp in the shape they "claimed" it was in or I would write to GC corporate along with pics and the repair estimate. That and unwillingness by my store to accept it into their inventory was what it took for the selling store to cry uncle. Never let 'em hose you on used gear.

PS: I repaired the speaker cone myself and swapped it for a used CRex worth about $50 so in the end the amp only cost me about $75 after the speaker trade.

3bolt79 likes this.
  20. KillingTone

KillingTone Strat-Talker

And what shipping charges anyway? I've never been charged a penny for anything I've ever ordered online from GC/MF.

3bolt79 likes this.