mmorgatto

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 18, 2016
Portugal
Right. I only like beatles songs covered by another artists. anyone else has this aswell?
Check this trio cover of come together for example. I absolutely love this type of playing.

Other than that i prefer the cover of Dont let me down by Keith Urban and John Mayer or Hey jude (yes dont judge me) covered by Wilson Pickett and Duane Allman.

Chont

Dr. Stratster
Sep 25, 2012
In a van down by the river
I feel that way to some extent about Bob Dylan… but NOT the Beatles. I think there are very few acts that have pulled off The Beatles well enough to make me all giddy inside. Phish (zipping up flame suit right now) doing the White Album in its entirety was one of them but that was more about the fact that they did the whole album start to finish live than it being respectable covers. Aerosmith’s Come together was pretty cool but I still think The Beatles are/were The Beatles and that’s that. My opinion of course.

mmorgatto

Strat-Talk Member
Jan 18, 2016
Portugal
I love the Beatles.
maybe i was a little harsh in the original post. its just like once i've heard these versions i cant go back to the originals. and i know the original composer always has the extra credit of actually making the music but still.

Will Lefeurve

Most Honored Senior Member
Mar 1, 2016
Angleterre et France
I can go with that, and I grew up with the Beatles and associated Beatle mania.

There have been lots of artists over the years that have covered Beatles songs and made a great job of doing them. You mention some. Two really diverse ones come to mind... John Lennon's 'Mother' by Barbara Streisand, and With a Little Help from my Friends by Joe Cocker. Both Lennon and Mc Cartney praised those versions of their songs, and were blown away by them...

What you have to remember is just how great those Beatle songs were. They still stand up, and that's why the young trio in the video are doing 'Come Together'.

PS : I like the guitar playing too... :thumb:

Mansonienne

Mod admin
Staff member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2015
Paris suburbs, France
I feel that way to some extent about Bob Dylan… but NOT the Beatles. I think there are very few acts that have pulled off The Beatles well enough to make me all giddy inside. Phish (zipping up flame suit right now) doing the White Album in its entirety was one of them but that was more about the fact that they did the whole album start to finish live than it being respectable covers. Aerosmith’s Come together was pretty cool but I still think The Beatles are/were The Beatles and that’s that. My opinion of course.
I used to feel that way about Bob Dylan but he's growing on me...
I love the Beatles.

WhiteWabbit

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 6, 2014
Canada
Beatles are great but I much prefer Richie Havens doing Here Comes the Sun. Just the way he sings it makes it much more powerful and emotional. The Beatles version is a nice pop song though.

Chont

Dr. Stratster
Sep 25, 2012
In a van down by the river
Beatles are great but I much prefer Richie Havens doing Here Comes the Sun. Just the way he sings it makes it much more powerful and emotional. The Beatles version is a nice pop song though.

I really like this.

Forgot about Ritchie Havens. One thing I know for myself is every time I try learning a Beatles song I’m just blown away by how simple they sound until you break down what’s going on.

gibsonsmu

Senior Stratmaster
Oct 16, 2015
Texas
I disagree - I think there are some decent covers with only Joe Cocker getting close on Help With My Friends. I really dislike that don't let me down cover. Lennon on the roof with Billy Preston and the boys? I'll take that all day

keithcc

Strat-Talker
Feb 21, 2016
Tulsa,Oklahoma
If you go back to the old Tin Pan Alley guys, no one would argue that most of the composers or lyricists sang their own material better than anyone else, but it was usually interesting to hear them sing it.

Lennon and McCartney were better as a team than they were as individuals. That was true as writers and as performers.

circles

Resident Pinball Enthusiast
May 26, 2013
West Seattle
A good song can thrive on multiple interpretations! But yea to me I have not heard a Beatles cover that exceeded the original to me. I can however imagine it to be possible with some of their 'lesser' tunes though.

Latest posts