1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

I played a player

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by guitarface, Jun 23, 2018.

1. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

At guitar center today, for about fifteen minutes. An hss model with a maple neck.

Pretty nice. Beautiful finish on the body. Pretty good neck and frets. Pickups sounded nice. Overall fit and finish, maybe half a notch better than the old mim standard (at best) and half a notch down from an American. If I were looking for a new strat I'd be considering this vs a used am std. Used am std might have the edge. Unless new is important to you.

arcticstrat and skypeace like this.
  2. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Silver Member

so now the mim player strat is basically the same thing as a usa standard.
    i wonder how they will justify upping the price next time.
    lets see......aged plastics and rolled fretboards.
    i bet they are really good guitars.
    set them up right and i bet they are every bit as good as the usa standards.

arcticstrat and skypeace like this.
  3. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

'
    ...and therein lies the paradox...

'

arcticstrat likes this.
  4. cliffenstein

cliffenstein Strat-Talker

What were the fretboard edges like? We’re they sharp like the Standard was? Note: I’m not referring to fret sprout, I’m referring to the edge of he actual wood.

arcticstrat likes this.
  5. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Sharp? I don't think so. But I don't think they were specifically "rolled fretboard edges." It seemed like a quality but not super premium neck to the best of my recollection.

arcticstrat likes this.
  6. Ozark

Ozark Strat-Talker

I played one today at Guitar Center while getting some new strings . The pickups sound really nice, a lot different from the ceramics on the Standard MIM which I have. I like the tone of my ceramics also though, the alnico's have more chime to them. The neck felt about the same as my MIM and the fret ends felt fine, no sharpness to them. My MIM is a 2017 and the quality of it is outstanding as was the Player.

arcticstrat likes this.
  7. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Do it or screw it.

I played one today at Sam Ash. Very impressed with the new pickups, and the frets, fit, and finish were great.

Edges weren't rolled too much, but they weren't intrusive.

arcticstrat and cliffenstein like this.
  8. monwobobbo

monwobobbo Strat-O-Master

played a white / maple SSS strat over the weekend and overall was pretty impressed. no finish issues or frett issues that i noticed. the pickups are definitely vintage voiced (not a big fan of that but i know a pretty large number of strat players are). guitar sounded good and played reasonably well (but with a few tweaks would pay great). trem worked well and stayed in tune better than i would have thought. i give it a thumbs up and will consider buying one the nextt time i'm looking for a strat. pretty sure they are planning on having these take over the mid tier of strats and pushing the US made ones up to a higher level. expect that guitars like the American Special will be obsolete at this point and gone from the line up.

arcticstrat likes this.
  9. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

Nice reports folks! I'm liking what I'm hearing

10. Otisblove

Otisblove Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

I played two of them unplugged today at GC for about a minute each.

Went there to buy a pair of drumsticks and had my four kids with me (9,7,6 and 4).
    I do not like going to guitar stores with them. We go over the rules before we go in every time-look but don’t touch, no running, no yelling, if in doubt ask me first-but it’s still stressful, so I like to get in and out as quickly as possible.

Both of the Player Strats I played were very nice. If they sound as good plugged in as they do unplugged, I wouldn’t hesitate to buy one or three.

BallisticSquid and arcticstrat like this.
  11. LunarSlingShot

LunarSlingShot Strat-Talker

you are a brave man.

bdtunaman likes this.
  12. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Most Honored Senior Member

Last time I did something like that I had 2 of my kids and they came armed with their Nindendo DS game systems to keep them occupied. You are right...it's stressful going into a music store with the kids in tow!

It's great to hear all of this great feedback on these guitars.