1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

I seem to have stripped the hole for the strap button

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by EC Strat, Jan 13, 2020.

1. EC Strat

EC Strat Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

On the one nearest to the bridge. Don’t want to drill another hole!!

Any suggestions on how to fix? I was thinking maybe a wider screw but that might not fit the strap button. Would those plastic sleeves work like the ones that you use to hang pictures in dry wall?

circles likes this.
  2. wrvond

wrvond Senior Stratmaster

If you don't subject it to a lot of abuse, simply glue in a few toothpicks, drill a new pilot hole and use the old screw.
    There is a recent thread about using brass inserts and machine screws with step by step how-to if you want a really permanent repair.

Groovey, stratobiker, Nick-O and 4 others like this.
  3. rgbedard

rgbedard non-compliant Silver Member

"Best" is to fill it and redrill it. People use wooden toothpicks, glue them in.

You can also use a slightly longer screw, but that will eventually loosen up.

stratobiker and Willmunny like this.
  4. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

This is how I've always done it. Toothpicks, bbq skewers, match sticks, splinters of kindling--the kind of wood doesn't matter much. Glue it in with carpenter's glue and screw the button back in. The repair will be stronger than the wood was in the first place. I'd let the glue cure fully (usually 24 hours) before using the strap.

The brass insert thread was pretty neat, but that method is totally overkill unless you're doing acrobatics with the guitar. Or unless the wood in the guitar's body is really soft and weak.

5. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Strat-O-Master Silver Member

3/32" double terminated white birch dowels (toothpicks) and glue!

6. EC Strat

Really appreciate the advice guys! Very helpful.

circles likes this.
  7. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

EC Strat likes this.
  8. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

I know its economics but it amazes me all the innovations of guitar design and we still get crappy strap buttons on guitars , I know you get strap locks and the dimarzio straps that screw on but its such a common problem be nice if the manufacturers for a few dollars more could fit inserts or similar at source really.

62Rosewood likes this.
  9. Birdsong

Birdsong Strat-Talker

Get some2 part epoxy fill the screw hole, burry the screw in it let it cure. You will pull your guitar into trying to get it back out

10. RoyC

RoyC Strat-O-Master

Use a longer screw

11. wrvond

Are you using felt under the strap pin?
    I'm wondering because I have felt under all mine and have always thought it might introduce a weak point as the felt compresses/ages. With no support under the shoulder of the pin it seems easier for the screw to bend. Additionally, my brand spanking new, never messed with by anybody guitar does not have felt under the pins. I don't know if this is because it's a vintage style guitar or because Fender decided the felt is a weak point, or because they are now trying to save three cents per guitar in parts...

12. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

There's something to this, the forces on the screw will always be in shear--which is where a screw is at its weakest. From an engineering standpoint that doesn't seem ideal.

On the other hand, how many strap screws have you sheared off? Under normal use each strap button will holding half the guitar's weight, and it takes a lot more than 4 lbs pressure (even in shear) to bend or break a screw that size. When strap buttons fail, it's always the screw pulling out of the wood, rather than the screw shearing off. In my experience anyway. Probably the screw can handle something on the order of 50 to 100 lbs of shearing force before it fails. I guess I could look it up, there are datasheets available for stuff like that.

13. EC Strat

Yes please the felt pads are there

14. wrvond

I've never sheared a screw, so the logical conclusion is the screw is sufficient to do the job with or without a felt pad. However, I have seen bent screws. Now if that was caused by dynamic loading of an already loose screw or not, I couldn't say.

15. axejock

axejock Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

I use the toothpick and glue approach....it always works for me. OR, I just sit down to play...to heck with straps!

EC Strat likes this.
  16. TepidPilot

TepidPilot Strat-Talker

In my opinion CA (superglue) and epoxy have no place in this repair. If you use CA you will get some on the finish (Murphy's Law). If you use epoxy you will have a difficult time removing the screw in case you need to, especially if you replace the strap button and screw before the epoxy cures.

I use the toothpick method and Titebond wood glue. All it takes is having the patience to wait 24 hours before replacing the button screw.

TP

painter33 and dirocyn like this.
  17. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member

18. stratomatt

stratomatt Strat-O-Master

Use the toothpick and glue approach, except don't use toothpicks. If there is a hobby store or hardware store available to you, get a wooden dowel about the same diameter as the hole or just slightly larger. Drill out the hole to make the sides smooth. Use a piece of scrap wood to make sure you have the right size bit for the dowel. Use tape to mark your drill bit so you will know exactly haw deep to drill. Use some wood glue to glue in the dowel. Cut the dowel before gluing it so it will be flush with the body of the guitar, or else use a "Japanese saw" to trim the dowel flush. Wait an hour or two for the glue to dry. Finally, drill a pilot hole to the proper depth and the a hole slightly smaller than the screw, and then use a bit of bar soap on the threads of your strap button screw and screw it back in without over tightening it. It will be as good as, or more likely better, than new. :thumb:

Hydr0 likes this.
  19. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

I have repaired, like many here, my share of stripped out screw holes on guitars. Mostly strap button holes and pick guard mounting holes on hollowbody and thinline guitars.

I use tooth picks, but I bought some fancy very nice hardwood ones and have used those recently with great success.

I would never just use a bigger diameter or longer screw on a guitar. Repairing things around the house, sure, but not an instrument.

Do it right, very easy job unless someone has no mechanical “feel” then take it to a tech.

20. EC Strat

Thanks guys - worked like a charm. Used toothpicks and super glue.