I Think I Am Done

Dick Blackmore

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2017
Black Hole
The vibraphonist I used to play with got signed and moved to LA. I was not asked to play on his release. That pretty much says it all doesn't it? Why overthink it?

Not my best week.

I decided to list all my equipment and guitars. I don't need them anymore and, more importantly, I don't want them anymore, especially the Stratocasters. I'm done. I don't want to be tethered to failure anymore.

I dont even know who I am without guitars and metal and all that bull**** but I'm going to find out.

Dadocaster

Dr. Stratster
Mar 15, 2015
Sachse TX behind the cemetary
The vibraphonist I used to play with got signed and moved to LA. I was not asked to play on his release. That pretty much says it all doesn't it? Why overthink it?

Not my best week.

I decided to list all my equipment and guitars. I don't need them anymore and, more importantly, I don't want them anymore, especially the Stratocasters. I'm done. I don't want to be tethered to failure anymore.

I dont even know who I am without guitars and metal and all that bull**** but I'm going to find out.
....have considered such a course of action but never executed. Luck to you in whatever you decide.

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Woah! Slow down fella. You've put years into your musical development. You've obviously seen so driven/talented, you've become a seriously good musician. Now you want to throw all that away?

Don't you realise you haven't been rejected by your former bandmate because of your musical abilities, but because that's the way the US music industry works? As far as the label is concerned, they've taken a gamble on your friend, so now they want big name sidemen to make good on their investment.

It's not about you. It's about the way the industry works.

Rather than giving up in some massive angst, try to work out how to get yourself on that 'A List' of session players. That, or make a living by putting a decent live act together that pays the bills. It may or may not make you 'rich and famous', but when you're a musician, you sometimes have to be grateful it's a living.

dspellman

Strat-O-Master
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
I had a teen model booked for a shoot on a Monday, and was called by the agency on Thursday, who told me that she'd be going into the studio to begin recording an album and wouldn't be able to make the shoot. "Are you kidding me?" says I. "Whitney Houston is NEVER going to be a singer..."

If it's any consolation, there are a jillion guitar players, and not all that many vibraphonies. No, come to think of it, that's not much consolation, is it? Look at it this way - if you give up now, you'll never get that call from him that says, "Hey, buddy. The guitar player they've stuck me with can't cut it and they've just let him go. Can you make it on a plane by morning?"

ON the other hand, Whitney never called me.

Forpie

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2019
Montréal
It wasn't your turn, it might just never be actually, but one thing is sure, you have no way to know unless you keep going.

I have been in that sad place before, rest easy and relax a little bit... everything looks better with a distance.

4wotitswurth

Strat-Talker
Oct 31, 2020
Texas
Doesn’t help much…. But life’s like that innit….. some ups some downs.. there are those who are able to smooth the ups and downs and those who tend to get buffeted by those crests and troughs… I’m the latter… either way, as said above there are many many guitarists, even the best ain’t the best for long, there’s always someone coming up, and on top of all that, there’s good ole luck… imo, the biggest decider of all… right place, right time… enjoy your skills, they’ll always pay off for you one way or another…. Cheers.

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California

Not my best week.

I'm sorry that you feel so bad.

BUT

No guarantees about your vibe player's career. A couple years from now he could be asking you for work.

My suggestions:

Keep the guitars!

Don't feel like a failure, particularly if you are happy with your own musicianship.

Branch out into other styles of music. Metal's cool...but it's one genre among hundreds.

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
PS - what the hell is a vibraphonist?

Does it help you to know that I don’t even know what a vibraphone is?
Really?

htcPB15802377493541-1.jpg

El Gobernador

fezz parka
Apr 21, 2011
Nunyo, BZ

Sure you do.

So f'n what? It says nothing other than the mallet man is in it for himself.

Time for some comedic advice.