I Think I Am Done

Houdi Elbow

Strat-O-Master
Aug 9, 2021
UK
Do NOT give up. I guarantee you will regret it. All those years learning to play, gathering skills, will be wasted. Its far better to carry on playing, even if just for your own enjoyment, than not playing at all. I speak from experience.
Hope you make the right choice..... the right choice for YOU.
All the best to you my friend, 👍

Dick Blackmore

Senior Stratmaster
Jan 10, 2017
Black Hole
Just to be clear I was not in a metal band with a vibraphonist though I did ask him to play on some tracks. Death metal is something I do in my home studio. The gigging I do is usually backing up somebody else with a name, I was a versatile guitar player even if my 1st love was metal. I appreciate your kind words and your harsh ones, for me this would be a hard thing to fathom when I was younger but I'm 53 now. Its not my first rejection. 'Crushing' is what somebody said, I am sorry I did not quote it, thats how I feel, 'crushed'. I dont need to go into the details it matters not in the greater scheme of things. Nobody gets rich making jazz vibes recordings. I'm stepping away, most if not all of my gear is going up, I dont feel like playing guitars or looking at them. I'll leave a link when its all up for grabs or maybe not, you all peruse Reverb.

EC Strat

Senior Stratmaster
Gold Supporting Member
Dec 16, 2018
Louisville Kentucky
I’m sure they told him who he’s going to record with. No choice there for him. More to it than you know 100% guaranteed.

But even so, you’re going to let one persons (assumed) opinion of you cause you to go full retard and quit?

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
Just to be clear I was not in a metal band with a vibraphonist though I did ask him to play on some tracks. Death metal is something I do in my home studio. The gigging I do is usually backing up somebody else with a name, I was a versatile guitar player even if my 1st love was metal. I appreciate your kind words and your harsh ones, for me this would be a hard thing to fathom when I was younger but I'm 53 now. Its not my first rejection. 'Crushing' is what somebody said, I am sorry I did not quote it, thats how I feel, 'crushed'. I dont need to go into the details it matters not in the greater scheme of things. Nobody gets rich making jazz vibes recordings. I'm stepping away, most if not all of my gear is going up, I dont feel like playing guitars or looking at them. I'll leave a link when its all up for grabs or maybe not, you all peruse Reverb.

Your decision is to be respected. I had 'almost made it' moments when I was younger, followed by "So playing this club is the best I can do, is it?", then " I really can't be bothered right now". So I get it. All I'd say is: try not to sell anything really special to you, because you'll probably go back to making music because you want to one day, but the gear you sold will probably be long gone.

If you ever see my faded cherry red Gibson 1961 SG-shape Les Paul with the Sideways Vibrola replaced by a stop bar, you're welcome to buy it. I don't have $10,000 to spend on it. See what I mean?

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
most if not all of my gear is going up, I dont feel like playing guitars or looking at them.
There have been times when I've just needed a break from the music biz.

There have been times when I needed a break from certain instruments, situations, bands, etc.

I do suggest keeping your fave acoustic and electric though!;)

You may wind up doing something else musically.

BTW, 53 still seems "young" to me, although when i was 53 I felt like I'd been around. This could work to your advantage in the long run, and you'll be the better musician for it.

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
"So playing this club is the best I can do, is it?", then " I really can't be bothered right now". So I get it. All I'd say is: try not to sell anything really special to you, because you'll probably go back to making music because you want to one day, but the gear you sold will probably be long gone.

If you ever see my faded cherry red Gibson 1961 SG-shape Les Paul with the Sideways Vibrola replaced by a stop bar, you're welcome to buy it. I don't have $10,000 to spend on it. See what I mean?
I certainly do.

I'm still looking for my trapeze-tailpiece walnut early 70's ES 335 w/ custom walnut veneer pickguard.

But you offer similar advice as did I -

"you'll probably go back to making music because you want to"

Last edited:

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
Isn’t an accordion the portable version of a vibraphone?
(assuming you mean piano accordion, not all the button systems)

NO...not the same...they seem similar to us guitar players....

So, I can play both - badly!;)

The big
similarity is the layout of the notes. Both have a variation of a standard piano/organ keyboard.

One is played like a normal keyboard, similar right hand fingerings, etc. The bellows takes some getting used to as your dynamics and phrasing device, though.

The vibraphone, though, like all melodic percussion, is a percussion instrument - you hit it with mallets - and on vibes, also takes the damper pedal into consideration, since it allows you to end a note rather than let it sustain as long as it can.

You get the idea.

davidKOS

not posting these days
May 28, 2012
California
I hate bagpipes
ALL bagpipes?

Or just the Scottish GHB (Great Highland Bagpipe) pipes that are most common?

Badly played bagpipes? Out-of-tune bagpipes?

Well, let's just talk about well played pipes. Even GHB...and I've heard them used with rock band instruments and kick ******

But there are bagpipes from all over the world.

Some can be played quietly inside a house, like Border pipes or Northumbrian pipes.

Some are almost the same as they were when first invented millenia ago.

Some use the human mouth and circular breathing to be the "bag"

The Irish Uilleann pipes can even have chord "regulators" and sound like more like an organ or sweet brass and reed band.

Some can play all sorts of chromatic melodies, like the Bulgarian gaida.

And, in closing, in New Orleans, my hometown, James Rivers played pipes in jazz/blues for decades.

Scott Baxendale

Most Honored Senior Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 20, 2020
Athens Ga
The vibraphonist I used to play with got signed and moved to LA. I was not asked to play on his release. That pretty much says it all doesn't it? Why overthink it?

Not my best week.

I decided to list all my equipment and guitars. I don't need them anymore and, more importantly, I don't want them anymore, especially the Stratocasters. I'm done. I don't want to be tethered to failure anymore.

I dont even know who I am without guitars and metal and all that bull**** but I'm going to find out.
I was producing a project that I was so deeply involved with that I decided to spend almost $10k on a studio upgrade that I thought would make the project much better. The day I made the decision to spend the money everything was hunky dory with the singer, but between the time I wrote the $9300 check and the day I received the new gear which was about 2-3 weeks the Singer decided he was going to quit music forever and I could just go Fu*k-off. He was mad about some other record he did 20 years ago that didn’t get the rerelease he had hoped for and it was just too damn bad for me and had zero feeling of remorse that I just wiped out my savings to make our record better. The record never got finished and I still have the gear, but for two months after that I wanted to quit all music and liquidate my studio. I got through it and am making better music now.