Join Strat-Talk Today

I think I learned my band broke up on Facebook

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by Seamus OReally, Dec 5, 2019.

1. Seamus OReally

Seamus OReally Senior Stratmaster Silver Member

Well, sort of. I don't use FB anymore, but my drummer sent me a screen shot this morning of a post from our lead singer. It said she's looking for a guitar player (I guess I'm not the right guy) or keyboard player to play duo gigs.

We're a four-piece band trying to make a mere $100 a head in a solid market for live music, but our lead singer has taken on the responsibility of finding gigs and has radically failed. Now she's trying to book a duo.

So my plan is that I take over lead vocals, add a keyboard player and get a little bit of a Robben Ford and The Blueline thing going. Maybe that will get our bass player interested again (he's been a little bored with the project going nowhere).

Jimmy B. and the Deadline. Whattya think?

2. Tone Deaf

Tone Deaf Senior Stratmaster

Go for it.
    The old band is burnt.
    Be a Phoenix and rise from the ashes

3. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

Around here duo gigs are far easier to book. Many of the local bands here will perform in a duo configuration as well as a full band.

Would have been nice if you were told that the singer was looking to book duos. Lame to find it out on social media.

Sounds like you have a solid plan to me :).

Seamus OReally, 3bolt79 and CB91710 like this.
  4. circles

circles Resident Pinball Enthusiast Strat-Talk Supporter

Sounds like you have potential, I'd give it a go.

Bandmix might be able to help find keys.

5. Thrup'ny Bit

Thrup'ny Bit Grand Master Curmudgeon Strat-Talk Supporter

It sounds more like she just quit the band to me.

Cyberi4n, Cerb, guitartwonk and 7 others like this.
  6. clydethecat

clydethecat Strat-Talker

Maybe she's just starting a side project?

Cyberi4n, 3bolt79, amstratnut and 2 others like this.
  7. Seamus OReally

My only reservation about taking on the "leader" role is that I'd end up looking for gigs. And I'm not sure I'm that guy. I spent 25 years beating the bushes for business, and it's kind of a relief to not be doing it anymore.

guitartwonk, 3bolt79 and amstratnut like this.
  8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

How do you or him even know if this is a "leave current band" or "side project?" situation?? I think you should ask before jumping to conclusions....just an idea....

Cerb, guitartwonk, DJGranite and 5 others like this.
  9. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

10. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Was your band actually gigging before? I only ask because you said she "radically failed" at finding gigs, so I would assume that means your band wasn't gigging... or just that she was not booking any gigs for the band. Or were other members of the band also booking gigs?

You know, maybe she's not quitting the band, but finding out the truth that it's much easier to book duos because of the money involved, and perhaps she is looking for a guitar player because maybe she thought you wouldn't be interested in a duo gig w/o the rest of the band.

If I were you I'd give her a call and talk it out... maybe she would like to work with you, and vice-versa, in a duo format.

3bolt79 and BallisticSquid like this.
  11. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

In the bands I was in, getting gigs was a group effort. Sure, some were more successful than others, but all band members should be doing what they can to scare up gigs. Delegate :).

3bolt79 likes this.
  12. joe_cpwe

joe_cpwe Senior Stratmaster

I'd find out by having a real conversation, a normal adult conversation, about what the singer's intention is for the guitar player. Having a couple projects going isn't a deal breaker,,is it?

If the duo is separate from what you do as a group, and you want to play, get busy and start booking gigs. If you don't want to book gigs - then you are turning over some level of control to someone else. That's not bad or good, it just is.

She's probably trying to book the duo because; it's a lot easier to do, she can pocket the same or better money, setup less gear, and still be the star of the show.

As for no-one being good at or willing to book gigs....get an agent. They'll probably get you more money so them getting their piece isn't an issue.

3bolt79 likes this.
  13. Seamus OReally

Gary the drummer is going to call her (our lead singer is a woman). He's known her longest. In the meantime, I think the boys and I are going to get together and jam on our own, see what gels.

joe_cpwe likes this.
  14. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Find a residency. ;)

Thrup'ny Bit likes this.
  15. Seamus OReally

Don't I wish! House band at some wine bar would be the most perfect thing ever. Add a bunch of Steely Dan and the hipper yacht rock tunes... that'd be fun on a bun.

Cerb and fezz parka like this.
  16. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

I was in a blues band that had a residency at a little neighborhood bar near Pico & Fairfax. The bar was called The Mint. We'd pack the place. The other guitarist ended up buying the bar. It became, next to the King King, the premier blues club in LA.

So...find a place that could use a boost...put on that hat you used to wear( for crying out loud, your experience running a jingle house would pay off here), and play once a week. ;)

Cerb likes this.
  17. guitartwonk

guitartwonk Senior Stratmaster

My first reaction was that that really sucks, but Thrupny and others are right, you need to know more about the reason why before jumping.

Whatever happens I hope you work it out somehow and get into a situation you enjoy. If it ain't fun, it ain't worth your time.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.