Join Strat-Talk Today

I think I might be done with the Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Lone Woof, Oct 16, 2016.

1. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

2. gibsonsmu

gibsonsmu Senior Stratmaster

I tend to move around a bit based on what I am playing but I always have both a Gibson and a Strat close by. The strat always gets more play though because it's a tank. That's why there are multiple guitar types.

IMG_2525.JPG

Steve112 likes this.
  3. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Senior Stratmaster

4. Adam Moss

Adam Moss Strat-O-Master

It took me years to 'understand' the Strat love. I was a Gibson man. It's because I didn't appreciate the subtleties, those little nuances that make the Stratocaster different. You won't find that in a Gibson.

A friend once said to me: "You only ever need one Les Paul but every Stratocaster is a different beast." He was so right.

If you turn your back on the legend, I promise you will regret it.

GuitarPix, simoncroft and QMTstrat like this.
  5. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Sometimes when I start obsessing, I think that the les paul is the way to go- hum free (and its supposed to be hum free so there's no issue with thinking sure, these are noiseless strat pickups, but they don't sound like they're supposed to), and with the two tones and two volumes, there really is a lot you can do in terms of pickup combos and blending the levels. But the fact is, when it isn't on paper, when its in my hands, I just like the strat better and keep coming back to it, I like the pickup combos, the sparkle, the feel. And it can do anything and it cannot be defeated.

6. Duotone

Duotone Senior Stratmaster

I consider all my guitars as different tools in the toolbox. You can't do everything with a screwdriver but when you really need one, nothing else can do the job.

7. dtchaulk

dtchaulk Strat-Talker

[​IMG]

This is my strat and it came with a humbucker in it to begin with. Sounds beastlike. Can't hurt to try right?

Nick Evans likes this.
  8. Mandrax

Mandrax Senior Stratmaster

Huge generalisation in my opinion. There are plenty of plain tops out there if the bursts and quilts aren't your thing.

Check out the Brent Mason signature. Great guitar, strat-like, great switching options, sounds and plays amazing. These are generally quite plain, but the birds might put you off I guess.

Dalendl likes this.
  9. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

Nothing wrong with that bridge bucker dtchaulk. As long as you still have singles for the neck and neck/middle classic Strat tones we all know and love. An HH Strat? Well now we're venturing into true sacrilege territory:D.

My only real Strat has a bucker at the bridge that can be split with a push/push on the volume pot. It's the most versatile guitar I've ever owned. Well, I guess aside from the Strat knock-off I've had a little longer that has the exact same configuration, but with a push/pull on the lower tone pot;). I have an Epi LP style too, it's fun to play and all, but the Strats with the splitable bridge buckers and floating trems are my favorites by far:thumb:.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  10. techowiz

techowiz Strat-Talker

Go into your local GC. Try a '59 Les Paul ,if they allow it :), engulf yourself in the thickness of the sound and even thicker neck! Play it for an hour or two- then go back to your Strat. That should do it!! :confused:;)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  11. donguillermo

donguillermo Strat-Talker

If your strat is a "good" one (tone, playability) and if you have the money, i d recommend to get another guitar and keep your strat.
    It s likely that sooner or later you ll itch for a strat again. Then you ll probably lose money by selling... Buying again...

But i understand your will to play "something else". Different guitars bring different sounds, feelings... Nothing wrong with that !

I need to get a les paul or a 335 some day. Hopefully sooner rather thanks later ! But my strat isnt going anywhere !

JustABluesGuy and Mansonienne like this.
  12. LBXPDX

LBXPDX Strat-Talker

Change your capacitor, put some 11's on it and roll back on your tone knob.

thegaijin likes this.
  13. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member

The beauty of the good old Strat is if you're not happy with the sound, then there are a plethora of replacement pups out there to get you the sound you want. Personally I've never liked the stock bridge pup and always replace it with a single coil size blade humbucker. I do love the single coil neck position sound though, and always keep that position stock. I hardly ever use the middle pup, so that is not even an issue for me.
    With all due respect to Les Paul lovers, I purchased 2 a few years back, out of nostalgia, and because I thought I was missing something. Compared to a Strat I found them blocky and cumbersome, and uncomfortable to play in comparison. Even the most ardent Gibson lover will admit, when it comes to comfort the Strat is in a league all of its own. Thats why I only use Strats these days. It's the guitar that covers all bases. If I want a different thicker sound, simply change the pups to something hotter.

14. Working Man

Working Man Senior Stratmaster

AND, Nothing stays in tune as well as a nicely set up Strat or Tele. I have an SG and that thing WILL NOT stay in tune.

JustABluesGuy likes this.
  15. Lone Woof

Lone Woof Senior Stratmaster

Sure, why not? Send it to me and I'll give it a fair shake.

JustABluesGuy and Mansonienne like this.
  16. Lost Sailor

Lost Sailor Strat-O-Master

The only times I've been without a Strat was when one was stolen, and I had to get whatever I could with the few dollars I could take to a pawn shop.....once I got another one, all was right with the world again.

Mansonienne likes this.
  17. QMTstrat

QMTstrat Strat-O-Master

Interesting to read everyones take on this matter...

It's funny to think that after half my life playing guitars and not being interested in strats, my original inspiration and reason to pick up the guitar was because of a famous strat player - Gilmour.

Now that I have "matured" musically, I feel a tremolo-equipped strat is the only guitar that can fill in the little spaces and voids in a textural way that no other guitar has managed to accomplish. I wasn't happy until I had the single coil goodness that we all love in the vintage strat tone.

Nate D, Mr. Lumbergh and Mansonienne like this.
  18. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

nice combo IMG_1242.JPG

QMTstrat, Nate D, xland and 2 others like this.
  19. Stratoholic

Stratoholic Senior Stratmaster

When I got my first strat in 98, I was playing 6 hours a day. by early 2014, I was playing only 30 minutes a week, it wasn't fun, I'd bash out a few songs, put the guitar away in disgust, then a week later do it again. I was very close to quitting.

I decided to get a Jazzmaster, just to know what they were like before I quit (I've always wanted one). The day I got it, which was October 14, 2014, (2 years and 3 days ago), The very moment I began playing on it, I realized that I was not ready to quit at all, and I realized how much I hated the stratocaster. It's not just one particular model of stratocaster, it's ALL of them.

Because of the Jazzmaster, my playing increased instantly to up to 2 hours per day, every day, and playing was fun, and it's still fun. If I had not gotten a Jazzmaster, I would not be playing guitar now, because there's nothing else out there that I like.

Lone Woof likes this.
  20. Steve112

Steve112 Senior Stratmaster

I really can't imagine not having at least one Strat, they have such versatility. I've had them for at least 35+ years, more than any other guitar. Each one has had its own character, all have sounded superb though different. I'd feel somehow less of a player without one in my arsenal.

Ebidis and QMTstrat like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.