I think I might have a problem lol. Another pawn shop find.

Discussion in 'Squier Strat Forum' started by Randy_Lahey, May 28, 2020.

1. Randy_Lahey

Randy_Lahey Strat-Talker

I guess I'm shameful in that I bored AF right now, and like hitting up pawn shops on my days off, and scouring Craigslist/LetGo on my days off.

Found this little "gem" today. $60 out the door.
    Brought it home and did the COVID decontamination and tear down.
    Issues:

1)Tremlo screws had some damage, allowing tremlo to creep up about 0.5-1mm on the low E string side. High E side was normal. Pulled tremlo off, and the first 2 screw holes showed some damage. Filled in the holes with a redneck fix(small wood down 1mm in diameter glued into hole and then screw introduced to allow proper offset.

2) imput jack was loose behind plate. Took a few seconds to fix.

Rest of guitar seems ok. Few dings and chips but nothing major. Neck feels very nice overall. Finish is very very nice, and feels thin and satin. But what do I know, I'm a noob.

Ended up swapping pick guards with the recently removed guard from my 2003 Squire Standard as the stock pick guard was warped a bit and cheap one ply. All electronics still stock.

While strings were all off I did a quick fret level and crown.

TBH, after stringing with EB #9's the action on this guitar I can get about the lowest of any of my strats. I think this being the 3rd guitar I've attempted to level frets, I must be getting it down better.

Stock pickups sound ok'ish. The Color has grown on me a TON. My first reaction when I saw it in the shop, was I'll give it to my daughter, she should like that odd color. But after a second or so, I really dug the color and it's now really taken me, I love it. I justify/tell myself, I'm going to pawn shop to find a guitar for my 2nd daughter(1st daughter got nice Yamaha Pacifica), but I keep falling in love with the Squier's I find. My PRECIOUS!

It's a thin body strat, just a bit over 1.5" thick. I'm unsure of which model, probably a bullet or w/e cheap version, but tbh I don't care. Seems to play and will be a good mod project. Frets looked virtually unworn when I got it. Someone threw it around their bedroom and played it a few times.

Love these cheap Squier's, and local pawn shops seem to get abused guitars in somewhat frequently. Problem is, some shops think their abused, in need of repair Squier's are worth $200-300. Once in awhile, you come across a guy who knows the guitar needs work and isn't worth nearly MIM Strat pricing. I think they go on Reverb or w/e and see what a Classic Vibe goes for and think, "oh this POS is worth that".

LMK what you all think. I'll be on the lookout to order some CTS pots, Fender switch, and some Alnico pickups most likely unless these stock ceramics wow me. Quick play they seemed ok, but I'm in need of a beer after busting a move working this guitar today/tonight. Stock ceramics in my 93' MIM Fender strat IMO sucked. So maybe I'm not giving these stockers a chance, being biased from my earlier dealings with ceramics.

Oh and don't make fun of my Elvis rug. My mom had it before she moved and gave it to me, so has some sentimental value ;). Figured it fit!

IMG_0407.JPG IMG_0411.JPG IMG_0408.JPG IMG_0406.JPG IMG_0409.JPG

Last edited: May 28, 2020
    vlxerdon, Viking, Malurkey and 5 others like this.
  2. longboard blues

longboard blues Strat-O-Master

Nice. Fab colour, and great rug.

BTW - it's an output not an input jack...

Randy_Lahey and stratocarlster like this.
  3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Senior Stratmaster

Nice score..! I dig the Velvis....:thumb:

4. Believer7713

Believer7713 The Pink Bunny Man Thing Strat-Talk Supporter

Nice!
    I like your white Contemporary HH active though. I have one too and it's one of my favorite axes.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Wound_Up and Randy_Lahey like this.
  5. Randy_Lahey

Randy_Lahey Strat-Talker

Yeah that's a nice guitar IMO as well.

I need to level the frets on that and the Epiphone Les Paul, but I wanted to practice on a few pawn shop guitars first.

I got that used, and I think it needs the shim for the tremlo, as the radius seems too flat compared to the neck.

I played this new guitar for about 1.5 hours tonight. On my tube amp the stock pickups don't sound terrible overall. However, with #9 strings I'm a hot mess of over controlling and these pickups just seem to let all those little mistakes ring right out lol. Found it some excellent practice tonight in finesse playing, and she sounded very good then. I really liked how the guitar felt though. So glad I found it and nursed it back to health. Brain is already working on next mods and think I may really upset the apple cart if I don't get lazy and abort.

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  6. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

Nice guitar! Might I suggest using "True Custom Audio" on Reverb to buy your pots from? I bought my 500k CTS pots through them and they were all 525k exactly. The kit came with pots, Switchcraft jack, and Oak Grigsby switch. They ship quickly and were very communicative. I have zero affiliation with them other than I bought mine from there and have been very satisfied.

Maybe try some of the Guitar Madness pickups unless you've got something in mind already. Most everybody I've read about that bought them seems to be pretty satisfied, no matter which ones they bought.

Randy_Lahey likes this.
  7. Believer7713

In normal fashion for me, I replaced the pickups with a set on EMG's...85 bridge, 89 neck. Then I added a Hipshot Tremsetter and a Tone Vise Pitch shifter to the bridge and changed the volume pot to a custom kill pot. Custom neck plate and wrench holder too.[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Wound_Up

Wound_Up Strat-O-Master

I like the tool holder! Where'd you get that, if you don't mind sharing?

And I'm a sucker for white Strats. Nice guitar you've got there! Is it just me or is that jack plate skinnier than normal?

Edit: I found a couple of wrench holders. StewMac has one similar to yours, it appears. Gotoh has a one and I found other no name holders, too. I've gotta get a couple of those even though I have no Floyd's. I just get tired of having to find and get out my wrenches when I need them.

https://www.stewmac.com/parts-and-h...KuqJqtRUtQ8SMSLcRRigOGw1DQaFC7TEaAkvjEALw_wcB

Last edited: May 29, 2020
  9. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-Talker

60 bucks? I would have bought that sucker in one sec flat. Love the color. What a great score!

my experience has always been pawn shops always want way more than things are worth. At least with sound gear. However I did buy a Trace Elliott bass rig not too long ago from a pawn shop, decent deal, first one ever. Trace amps sound awesome

Randy_Lahey, jvin248 and 3bolt79 like this.
  10. Believer7713

I normally get them on ebay. Heck of a lot cheaper than Stew-Mac. Though I have plenty of their tools too.

I have all three of these designs on different guitars.
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=122959622969
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=142923313572
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=113089386287
    Then I just got this one for the new RRX24M
    http://rover.ebay.com/rover/1/711-5...0001&campid=5338148356&icep_item=133396217146

Wound_Up likes this.
  11. 3bolt79

3bolt79 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Got a pic of the trace? Would love to see it. I used to have a 4x10 combo. It was only 2 or 3 hundred watts though.

Stratafied and Deafsoundguy like this.
  12. GuitLoop

GuitLoop Strat-Talker

Even if it ends up being just wall art 60 bucks is a good deal.

Wound_Up and Randy_Lahey like this.
  13. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Good find. That model has been popular on a few forums. It's a Bullet.

Amazing how much better guitars play after a fret level. The factories would have more beginner players stick with guitar if they were easy to play out of the box, but most of the factories don't quite understand the concept of fretwork is a loss leader -- a new player who sticks with it will buy a dozen guitars and most of those from the same brand they start with. Guitars compete with video games and video games are easy in the beginning and get progressively harder, while guitar factories make the hardest to play guitars for level one and the easiest to play for level ten...

Due to the thinner body, you'll want to bend the new switch tabs away from contacting any cavity shielding when installing, probably put a strip of electrical tape down where the switch could contact it too.

Shielded cable to the jack instead of the separate wires Fender uses will cut most of the idle noise.

Add a switchcraft jack to your new parts install. Plugging in will feel like you're playing a Custom Shop model.

If you want some fun with the guitar .. look up the Armstrong Blender mod (my auto-install on Strats) a wiring-only change where the second tone knob blends from stock SSS into series HSH. Like having a second stealth guitar in your pocket.

Randy_Lahey likes this.
  14. hamerfan

hamerfan Strat-Talk Member

60 bucks, what a bargain. I recently bought a naked red Squier SE body for that money, oh my.

Randy_Lahey likes this.
  15. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy Strat-Talker

Here Ya go! I used to have the Trace single 15" but I sold it and got a much more powerful 8x8 which usually satisfies most tech riders.
    Trace.jpg

Randy_Lahey and Wound_Up like this.
  16. Randy_Lahey

Randy_Lahey Strat-Talker

So these pickups aren't unplayable. They certainly have twang, but I think an upgrade is in order. Some Tex Mex maybe??? :)

17. StummerJoe

StummerJoe Strat-O-Master

Nah, that's not a problem. That's a HOT STREAK! Hell yeah!:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:
    And I would never make fun of your Elvis rug. I have a tatoo of the KING between my wrist and elbow on my r. arm! Uh huh huh!

Randy_Lahey likes this.
  18. espyhop

espyhop Strat-Talk Member

I’d buy a $60 guitar just smash it during a shot.

19. Gridlock

Gridlock Strat-Talker

That sure is a good looking guitar.
    Congrats!

Randy_Lahey likes this.
  20. Tdurden032

Tdurden032 Strat-Talker

I dig the color - nice find!!