I think I want to buy this 60's junk - talk me out of it. Or into it.

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by StratUp, May 24, 2021.

1. henderman

henderman Dr. Stratster

are you crazy or stupid?

(that is my talk people out of it question, nothing personal...)

StratUp and Blackmore Fan like this.
  2. Blackmore Fan

Blackmore Fan Senior Stratmaster

I think for the money you could find a far more entertaining project with a higher upside.

Archtops likes this.
  3. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

For the same price, you could buy a Gretsch Jet Club and have a serious guitar.
    BD4A4CF7-2CC8-4F22-86D7-559CD59626C8.jpeg

Blackmore Fan likes this.
  4. guitarchaeologist

guitarchaeologist Dr. J Silver Member

Lotus was def active in the mid-80s. My GF bought a brand new Lotus bass around 1986 or 87.
    @hornpiper mentioned above that the neck was likely swapped. I tend to agree.
    @StratUp I'd say it's a 60s or early 70s Teisco with a (likely 80s) Lotus neck.

Jimi Lightning likes this.
  5. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

No, no, no.

I can see the allure of old guitars but Teiscos were always junk.

You could buy a really decent guitar for that money.

6. HighwayStar106

HighwayStar106 Senior Stratmaster

If I was offered it for free, I'd consider it. Otherwise, no.

Willmunny likes this.
  7. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

Great info. That was what the net said and thats always Questionable.
    The concurrence is that it the wrong neck. I agree that the body is most likely 60s/70s MIJ but not necessarily Teisco. The whole ascetic and the missing tremolo location indicates that as well.
    There where a large number of manufacturers. The pickups design seems to match Teisco and or Kawai. That headstock design also matches a couple of MIJ manufactures headstocks. Its the LOTUS label that is odd. I havent seen a LOTUS with that design. But then again I havent done a deep dive.
    The History of Japanese guitars book had some that where similar but 2 pickup models...
    YMMV

guitarchaeologist likes this.
  8. nutball73

nutball73 Senior Stratmaster

If I was offered it, I'd charge someone for storage. Or disposal.

9. guitarchaeologist

You're right, I shoudn't have been so quick to call it a Teisco when there were SO many variations that were pretty similar.

As for the logo and headstock... that's the logo I recall from the mid 80s- quick reverb search confirms...

Lotus Headstock 1980s.jpg Lotus Headstock 1990s.jpg

10. Jimi Lightning

@guitarchaeologist Not the same headstock. The one in question has more of a drop down nose albeit it looks similiar and appears to be longer and slimmer.

11. guitarchaeologist

Really? They look damned close to me. The alternative would be that someone faked the logo of a $200 guitar onto a headstock that is this close?
    I see nothing that can't be attributed to perhaps normal variance, a few years age difference, or even the angle of the camera.

1.jpg

12. Jimi Lightning

I agree that they look close but I see subtle differences particular in the head end. Manufacturing variances, camera angle etc...that makes sense.

However note that MIJ guitars had very similar headstocks and most likely attributed to the design elements of that time period.

As you seem to have taken offence I agree that it is most likely a LOTUS but no one has provided a complete LOTUS pic of that style neck in particular those bar type fret markers. BTW I cant find a “Teisco” one with that either...lol
    YMMV

13. guitarchaeologist

No offense taken. I have dog in this fight... simply wanted to note that I recognized the logo and headstock as very similar to what I recalled from the 80s.Maybe try to help solve a mystery.
    I'm confident that if someone wanted to spend enough time searching they could likely find a match.
    Just curious, the fret markers I see are dots, not bar type. What am I missing?

EDIT: Nevermind, I see the problem. The pix the OP supplied do not match the ad he provided. Are they two different guitars or what???

Appears the guitar is clearly labeled as a Kingston in the ad.
    Quick search for Kingston Guitars turned up this discussion...
    https://www.harmonycentral.com/forums/topic/1167981-anyone-know-info-about-kingston-guitars/

And it would appear that a 1966 Kingston S2T (two p'up model) had dots, while a 1967 S2T and a 1966 S4T had the same bar-style fretmarkers as those shown in the ad.
    All can be seen here...
    https://drowninginguitars.com/guitars/japanese-guitars/

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  14. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Late to the party....but the guitar for sale is a partscaster with a Kingston body....

Here is one that used to own:

king_001.jpg king_002.jpg

I remember when I had a bunch of those pieces of art work hanging on my walls, gotta admit, they look cool.....sold them as parts and made a killing....

15. Jimi Lightning

Awesome! Looks like thats what its supposed to look like. Correct neckneck Mystery solved?

I came across these models but the there was no single coil one, I assumed there would be as usually there’s 1,2 and 3 pickup models. Body’s right, neck is right, wrong headstock shape for the ops post. It does have the tremolo etc... :)
    Its interesting when you read the book I have on the multiple designs and eventually the mix and matching of parts.

Last edited: May 25, 2021
  16. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

I think it's cool, it would be fun to build one of those into a player. But the price would have to be right. If it's over $50, pass.

17. Jimi Lightning

They used to be inexpensive then for some weird reason the prices skyrocketed. Lately I see them starting to drop a little.Some folks figured they where made of gold ....lol That’s when I stopped buying them.

Nope , just fun little units to play. Great for some dirty blues through a cheap amp!

18. Slyy

Slyy Strat-Talker

I wouldn't even consider it for free.

nutball73 likes this.
  19. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

Probably not gonna happen then....back when I parted out my Kingstons, Teisco's, & Westone's....I sold the "Teisco" headstock badges for $50 each....

Here is a couple of pics of of them before I dismantled them:

CIMG0550.JPG CIMG0539.JPG

probably got between $300 to $400 for each guitar parted out when all I could get was about $100 maybe $125 if I sold them as whole pieces....

20. Jimi Lightning

That would be my favorite Teisco...the Tulip. Ive been looking for a 2 and a 3 pickup one to go with my 1 pickup model.
    Hard to find in good shape at a decent price. You must be basing your price on years ago as I picked mine up at around $200. I must admit that I flinch when I see them parted out but understand why. :)