I Think I'm Done With Fender

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ebidis, Aug 28, 2020.

1. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Maybe we should pay way way more if we want to be honest and have "fair" prices....to meet what they actually cost back in the 60s and 50s.....

That would be fair no?

Fender is doing an amazing job and while I understand some people have their qualms about a model they dont like or whatever.....

We really cant complain about the prices to be frank, I mean we can but in my opinion again it just does not make sense given the real numbers here showing prices are more than fair and on the consumers side for sure

nadzab, circles and Stratbats like this.
  2. Stratafied

Stratafied Senior Stratmaster

No complaints with fender, I just have very very small. I wish they offered more of their colors on various models , and fingerboards.

3. The-Kid

Yeah....Me too....

Pearl Cream....Metalic ROSE....etc etc

We need more cool colors...

Only complaint from me....

But I like my 60s Lilac so far...and the LPBs 60s....

JJ119, Stratbats and Stratafied like this.
  4. grritz

grritz Still 17 between the ears Strat-Talk Supporter

Absolutely!

Ebidis likes this.
  5. Buzzin_Cousin

Buzzin_Cousin Senior Stratmaster

You can, just not an off the line Fender.
    That's Fender's marketing decision, which I neither condemn nor condone.

Ebidis likes this.
  6. StratSounds

StratSounds Senior Stratmaster

This is a click bait thread.

7. Stonetone

Stonetone Senior Stratmaster

Haha so well said Eb dont think anyone could have said that any better, its so true :thumb:

Last edited: Sep 4, 2020
    Ebidis likes this.
  8. Bazz Jass

Bazz Jass Chairman of the Fingerboard Strat-Talk Supporter

I've had a look - yes, they have indeed increased too. Luckily, I've been banned by my wife from ever buying another guitar.

Tguitarfloyd, Ebidis and JJ119 like this.
  9. grritz

grritz Still 17 between the ears Strat-Talk Supporter

Two things:
    1. Leave wife.
    2. Buy more guitars.
    :D

10. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

I find this irritating: I paid, with taxes, around $2400 for my new Princeton Hand Wired amp. It's a keeper, it sounds gorgeous, etc. But it came with a cheap footswitch, which I have commented upon, and a crappy amp cover, made in China. Now, the Fender '62 Princeton Chris Stapleton amp is around $300 less than the hand wired PR.. And it comes with a Filson Twill Fabric cover. Not sure where it's made, but it looks really nice...

Certainly Fender could have included a better amp cover with Custom '64 Princton Reverb? This thing is JUNK.

Neilena and The-Kid like this.
  11. Neilena

Neilena Strat-Talker

Yet TVs, laptops, some Honda and Toyota vehicles, sportswatches...have gone down over the last decade or two...possibly Fender and Gibson have gotten away with somethng as we merrily pay more and more for everything from Squires and Epiphones to Custom Shops.... Not saying they've ripped us off, just saying they've taken our love for granted, knowing we'd stay faithful and true, never forsaking our sacred vows sorry got carried away...but Dear Fender: Help us out i LITTLE !

12. The-Kid

Ebidis has a point. Used guitars at a good deal make sense. I agree here

But used guitars that cost 15-20% less than what they cost new dont. In many cases now a days this is a case and IMO This makes zero sense.

In this sense do yourself the big favor of buying new. It just makes most sense at its best for you. Why would you buy used in this situation?!??!

It just makes zero sense as you can easily get a 15% discount on a new guitar and even with taxes that price difference makes a used guitar under these circumstances an option yes....but not a good option.

And well it sucks that the prices went up for used guitars as a result of the price increase and you cant get that deal anymore on a used guitar but its less that and sellers in the used market raising prices because they think its cool....while there is a relation here between Fender raising prices and used prices going up...its not all Fenders fault.

The tight prices between used and new prices is the culture in music that allows this to be a thing. Fender has no control over how people sell things in the used market

I pull out a calculator and make sure its 30-40% less than what I paid new for it if I sell it.....I dont do it because Im a nice person. It just makes sense as things depreciate in value over time and well....yes some of this stuff holds its value...but this aint no 62 strat or 60s Princeton. I feel many people have an impression their stuff is ganna retain close to all the value they bought it for. Also this type of pricing was normal. 10 even 5 years ago. This mega tight pricing is a new thing between used and new IMe.

Im not a "flipper" or a "dolphin" lol so I just bring out a calc and let it do the work

If its used, I just sell it for a lower price than the average used price.

In this sense its not Fenders fault here for used prices being raised.its the sellers doing this. You have to understand that. This is a new thing...pricing was never this close between used and new....sellers doing this is more and more common now a days.

Im not ganna sell any of my Classic Series...but if I do...Im not selling them at 750....or the 900 some guy threw my way for my Lilac....Im selling them for 500-550 or less....thats a fair piece....

If I sell my Princeton 112...Im asking 600-650$ for it....maybe $550.....

Not 900$...or 850$ .... Like most dudes in the used market think is fine somehow when the amp is 1000 new......

But Im not selling them...because I love them :)

And well yeah thats not Fenders fault that used prices go up. At least not like this..thats not your fault....or the sellers fault either Well kind of but not the individual seller.....its just a new culture of squeezing every penny out of a used item for whatever reason...its a new thing something that people just do more now.

When it comes to pricing again non of this is overpriced. Pop out the CPI calculator. Check out the numbers plug in.

No guitar made RIGHT now is overpriced. They all cost less for the same guitar you got in the 50s, 60s, 70s and even 80s if yoi plug in the CPI and probably well into the 90s and 2000s but just less and less so.

So its not so simple really...

Used stuff makes sense...if your getting a deal. If its just a couple dollars lower than a new guitar. . . . the smart thing to do is get a new guitar. It just makes the most sense out of opportunity cost.

So it just depends on getting a used guitar.

Sometimes you can even get a NEW guitar at a better price than some of what a seller is asking for a used one, or get a NEW guitar fir the same price of a used guitar after discount.

And if your throwing down 750 or 850$ on a guitar. And the price difference is less than 50-100$. It does not make one bit of sense on any sheet to go used if the price differences are so small and similar?

Unless the used one is really exceptional in this sense dont get used. Always be sure to get a better than good deal for it to be worth it if your going used.

It just makes common sense

13. The-Kid

If prices are so similar between used and new it just makes zero sense to go used. No sense at all. Your just kind of screwing your self over for not buying new in this sense going used.

Only go used if your getting a deal and of course it has to be a player. But gopher that deal otherwise just go NEW. Its best for you and makes most common sense.

As for used prices going up.....and used prices being so tight ......

Thats not Fenders fault so much as the Flippers and the Dolphins selling used at such high prices and guys buying used accepting it and enabling that culture. Fender has no control over that

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  14. The-Kid

Also when people say "mY parents got a deal on a house in the 90s...those were great prices.. Or the 80s or whatever"

Its just not always the case.

Check the medium price of a house then. Compare it to now with a CPI Calc. Take the price of an Average house now, use a CPI calc, take it back in time.

Get the price of that house back then...take it to the future with a CPI see how much it cost in todays money and see if it was a deal and compare it to the price now and the average price.

Thats when you know how much a deal a house was and there are other things as well but that is where you start.

You can also go backwards and compare for a better comparison as well and see what a house cost now and see if its any more affordable or more expensive etc etc etc

Prices for Fenders now are the best they have ever been guys...

And it just cant get any better or be priced better.

Use a calculator. The old TI84. Its my best friend and a CPI, these things go a long way guys.

circles likes this.
  15. hexnut

hexnut Strat-O-Master

Just think what a good cover would have done for the tone out of that amp. I may get a better cover for my Princeton reverb and see what it does. LOL

The-Kid likes this.
  16. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY. Hiatus for Awhile. Strat-Talk Supporter

Hi, @Stratbats -Buddy

That is sad about the included amp cover.

Studio-Slips brand ones seem to be well regarded for USA Made durable covers.

The-Kid and Stratbats like this.
  17. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-Talker

SIGH

You too?? :( Awww Shizzola. I hope it ain't contagious! Or is it a conspiracy???
    o_O
    Wiminz be sending out them vibes, ya know?!!??
    Hopefully the Ban will lift soon.

18. Stratbats

Stratbats Senior Stratmaster

Thanks Ben! Will check them out.

19. stratmatt777

stratmatt777 Strat-Talker

You make a good point...
    This is why marketing experts do not hesitate to charge whatever the market will bear.
    You are FMIC's target customer. And good on you for keeping all their workers employed, since you can afford it! Seriously. (NOT sarcasm!)

If nothing but a Fender Strat will do, then you should buy one, if you can afford it. Now more than ever, many people cannot afford it.
    The high prices for a strat with 22 frets and a contoured heel left me no option but to go the "payment plan" route.
    No, not using a VISA to pay Fender's crazy prices, but instead, gradually replacing all the parts on my '97 MIM until I had a brand new USA Custom Guitars custom strat with a contoured heel, 22 6105 stainless steel frets on a 9.5"-12" compound radius neck, locking tuners and a Super-Vee Bladerunner bridge.
    I did have to correct the vintage stagger myself on the Fender Original '57/'62 pups I put in the neck and middle, but I wasn't annoyed about having to do it to fit my neck because I hadn't just dropped $1,500 on a new guitar, gotten it home and discovered the volume imbalance (defect) between strings.

I wouldn't trade it for the $1,500+ Fender equivalent. And the frets wont wear out either.

Maybe I am looking at this all wrong to think that Fender is crazy?
    Perhaps FMIC has (wisely) recognized that there are people who put no limit on what they will pay for a Fender.
    Maybe this marketing strategy comes from FMIC who knows that people who want modern features will jump ship and possibly buy a Jackson or Charvel or some other guitar brand FMIC owns?

Maybe they are just gonna milk this Fender brand loyalty for all it is worth?
    And I don't even mean that as a slam. That's business. It's a marketing strategy that will likely pay off. More power to 'em!

Less units sold, higher profit margin. Why not? It's business.
    Charge what the market will bear. Why not? They don't need us value-seekers to survive or to thrive from higher profit margins.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2020
  20. Glyderslead

Glyderslead Strat-Talk Member