I Think I'm Done With Fender

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by Ebidis, Aug 28, 2020.

1. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

The most expensive production Fender Strat made is $1,899. That is a lot of money; however, other top name companies have production guitars 2-3 times that cost.

My New RI Gibson Les Paul Special, costs almost as much as a top of the line Strat and it is near the bottom of the Les Paul range.

And...My ProLine Gretsch cost $300 more than a top Strat and it is the least expensive ProLine production Gretsch

I still think Fenders are a pretty good deal for an American made guitar.

B77CD543-A689-4E8C-A427-1C6F62546791.jpeg 111076B5-A292-4E45-ABD5-407F132DB85C.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
  2. The-Kid

The-Kid Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter Vendor Member

Beware of.......you have been warned...

These guys murk the waters.

As a buyer dont be had by these guys....

Them Guitar Dolphins...watch out for them....they definitely have more than one flipper.....

[​IMG]

stylemessiah and circles like this.
  3. Tguitarfloyd

Tguitarfloyd Strat-Talk Member

Lol! That's a Les Paul Special, not a Junior.

Just funnin' with you. Count me in with the Fender lovers. I have 2 American Strats, a 56 RI and an AO50s....bought new with a discount for cash and shopworn-ness. They were both 2K ish priced; the RI over that, but got them each for $1600. Got them in a brick & mortar store where I could play them first. They are both great!
    I'm ebidis's age (or older) and have bought, sold and traded over 200 guitars since 1961. Worked in guitar shops for 28 years and dealt thousands more. With all that experience I've come to the opinion that US Fender Strats can't be beat. I played professionally till the bars quarantined and plan to continue after this and playing a guitar onstage for 4 - 5 hours several nights a week, give me a Fender Stratocaster.
    As far as Suhr or Anderson or any of the so called "improved" Strat styles out there.... They look funny! Sad looking skinny headstocks and bodies. No thanks, can't see paying more money for an uglier Strat. Imho the best designs for guitars were made by Gibson, Gretsch, Martin and Fender. The only newer guitar with attractive styling is PRS (jury still out on the Silver Sky). I've loved the look and feel of a Strat since the first one I ever saw and don't care about 22 frets, comfort heel or any of that. I have owned and played MiM Classics and a Squier CV 50s and found them good and playable as well, just not the quality of my 2 US models. And coming from a history of playing the preCBS models in the 60s, 70s and 80s, which are no longer affordable, these 2 are of equal quality.

Anyhoo...I think we can close this thread now...haha!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2020
    stratocarlster and Blue Beagle like this.
  4. radd

radd Strat-O-Master

No kidding, my bad.....Special, I fixed it.......Thanks.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  5. tmonkjr

tmonkjr Strat-Talk Member

I don't think you've been lucky to play a great Strat, or a great Tele, if you had, I doubt you would feel that way. Of coarse they are expensive, but for the hell of it, go to some vintage guitar store, and get your hands on a pre cbs Tele, or Strat. True they are expensive, but theres a reason why they are so popular amongst players.

Tguitarfloyd likes this.
  6. The-Kid

If your not down for Fender maybe next time post in the S Type forum or Squire Talk.

This is STRAT TALK....

So while other S types are cool or whatever...

Fender is what its about here last time I checked......REAL STRATS....REAL FENDER

smithstrato and Tguitarfloyd like this.
  7. JJ119

JJ119 Strat-Talker

IMHO

The Stratocaster is the Best Design. I believe THAT to be the reason it is so often imitated.

If I get another Fender, it would be a Strat.
    A USED Strat, but a Strat, nonetheless.

That's, MY .02

" Keep the change, ya filthy animal "
    :) ;)

Tguitarfloyd, hexnut and The-Kid like this.
  8. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

I have owned some really nice Fenders, still own a great Tele or 3. I have also played several pre CBS Fenders in my time, and some of them were really nice. I have no problem at all with Fender's quality. I never said anywhere that I don't like Fender. As a matter of fact in my OP I said I love Fender.

I stated earlier in the thread that I am at a point now that if I wanted a new guitar, I would rather build one myself. I can get the same quality, at a bit lower price, and have exactly what I want. I have the skills to do that, and that is where I'm at now.

9. Ebidis

Ebidis Providing the world with flat bends since 1985 Strat-Talk Supporter

The last time I checked neither I nor anybody else had to have anyone's approval to mention non Fender guitars in the course of conversation in Sidewinders Bar & Grill. You know, the off topic discussion section of the forums.

And I never said I'm not down for Fender. I simply said that I (IMHO/YMMV) thought that their constant price hikes are getting out of hand.

I know, inflation blah, blah, blah... That doesn't mean I have to like it. I just have an opinion that the prices across the board for solid body electric guitars are crazy.

I still Love Fenders.

arcticstrat, Tguitarfloyd and Neilena like this.
  10. tmonkjr

tmonkjr Strat-Talk Member

I must apologize for that, my mistake. I wish I had the courage to build one from start maybe someday.

Ebidis likes this.
  11. The-Kid

Again well....

There are no "price hikes"....you say you understand inflation but do you really?

No opinions here whatever your opinion is does not stand up to the facts I presented vs Fenders being "overpriced" or them "driving up" the used market....this may be "blah blah" to you but these are actual facts as I presented.

So cool have your opinion......

Its an opinion and well I get it but its kind of like arguing why how the color Orange is not Orange enough for you and your in Favor of Tangerine ....

Cool.....

Thats nice. You like\prefer the color Tangerine vs Orange!?!??!.....

I like Indigo...Blue is cool but Indigo is where its at....

I just dont get knocking on Fender for whatever reason....they make great American Products....kept their employees during Covid....cut back from the top and cut the FAT from the CEO and Board Members to make sure we keep our employees here in America and Mexico, to well.....

Make sure they get paid well.....

Make sure those employees support themselves...

Feed themselves.....keep a roof over their heads....

And their families......

And Oh yeah DONT FORGET...make great guitars at great prices we can afford!!!!!!

Simply given the Math and the reasoning here and just common sense I presented....

It makes no sense to be adamant about it for whatever reason. Dont get a Fender....get XYZ.....

Frankly I just dont understand the complaining and I just cant stand it as they are doing the best they can, offering a great product at a great price....

And treating their employees well here in America and Mexico........

If you like Fender....

Stop complaining....

Or Keep at it....

IMO there really is no basis or real reason to complain here give the facts presented....

But sure complain about Fender @Ebidis, your free to do so.

Tguitarfloyd and hexnut like this.
  12. The-Kid

If you think they should be better priced....

Start your own company...

Feed and maintain employees.....

Make sure you have all the proper materials to build whatever....

Get a warehouse...

Be prepared to pay benefits, dental etc etc.....The lights, rent, insurance, whatever the hell else...

Pretty much it just makes zero sense to complain about Fenders pricing or being overpriced or driving up prices in the used market.....

ZERO.......

Your free to do so.....

But again why?!??!

It just makes no sense plain and simple. And for the player and members here in general I say confidently..

Follow the guidelines I present...

Dont fall for a Dolphin.....

Buy what makes sense to you....

And just use opportunity cost and common sense and be SMART about what you buy and how you buy it.

It just makes sense and its good for you without a doubt for most members and players IMO.

:)

circles, Tguitarfloyd and hexnut like this.
  13. CigBurn

CigBurn You should see the other guy. Strat-Talk Supporter

That just has to be a pulling your leg post...

Worst opinion ever. o_O:D

The-Kid likes this.
  14. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

I have two strats. I like them both.

that's 2 of 13 guitars currently here.

Strats are not the "mainstream" guitar in this household.

Any instrument that makes it across the threshold of this house needs to earn it's right of way.

The-Kid likes this.
  15. Hugh

Hugh Got Cluck ? Strat-Talk Supporter

16. smithstrato

smithstrato Senior Stratmaster

When i can"t afford to heat my house , Fender will be the last to burn. JS

17. SlyStrat

SlyStrat Strat-Talker

Fender has had record breaking guitar sales in 2020.
    AH HA!!!

18. corkyjon

corkyjon New Member!

I did a Warmoth neck and body build and with nice parts it wound up costing as much as an American Strat. By the time you add bridge, tuners, pickups and case the cost adds up. And although I love what I built, resale value is probably half of a Fender. I'd say if Fender offers what you want, get one. You'll forget what you spent for it.

19. go49ners

go49ners Senior Stratmaster

THIS. Fender makes a great guitar.

20. jumpbluesdude

jumpbluesdude New Member!

If you want a Fender made the way they are supposed to be made for a good price, buy a MIJ Squire from the 1980’s. Unbelievable quality, great hardware and the pickups are pretty good. I paid $315 for the last one I bought and after setting it up, I figure I’d have to go pre-CBS to upgrade it. WAY under-valued in this market even at $500-700.