Join Strat-Talk Today

I think I've crossed a line...have I gone from player to collector? Too many guitars?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Fendre, Aug 27, 2014.

How would you define yourself

1. Player

79 vote(s)
    51.0%
  2. Collector

2 vote(s)
    1.3%
  3. Both

64 vote(s)
    41.3%
  4. Meh!

10 vote(s)
    6.5%
  1. J200george

J200george Strat-Talker

Bought nothing from 1992 to 2012, played irregularly. In 2012 I realised the one constant in my life was my music and something I had relied on in difficult times to take me to another place. At this point I had a g&l tele and a gibson j200.

I had always wanted a les paul and approaching 50 (I was 47)....decided to pull the trigger, this unleashed the beast, I then got myself a custom strat, a gibson lucille and lastly an angus Young signature sg (early vibrola one)....am I finished yet? Well maybe... I do have a hankering for a johnny marr jaguar and an elvis costello century of progress :))

Am I a collector or player? Well all my guitars are out of the cases and now I play almost daily...

2. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

I've voted player as I have three electrics but I'll be honest, I could easily go mad and buy all sorts of guitars, the only thing stopping me is the fact that the ones I have now wouldn't get played so much. :rolleyes:

3. Hasse

Hasse Strat-Talker

not a collector or a player....His the God ;)

But back in the issue.
    I know, if i start buying guitars, its all hell breaking loose :D
    So, i have to stay in one or two guitars.

4. OldGuitarPlayer

OldGuitarPlayer Strat-O-Master

I have 3 electrics and 3 acoustics. I voted "player".

My acoustics:

Norman B-20 dreadnaught
    Celebrity (Ovation) Shallow bowl electric acoustic (currently in need of electronics).
    TCM - Classical nylon string guitar. "TCM" is a cheap local store brand here and not to be confused with the TCM custom guitar company.

My electrics:

Jay Turser Vintage Series 1960's strat copy.
    Jay Turser Vintage Series top loader tele copy.
    Yamaha SE 112 HSS strat style guitar with scalloped fretboard.

My amps:

1990's Fender Deluxe 90 (non-DSP) solid state combo.
    Roland Micro Cube portable - age unknown

5. artgtr

artgtr Artgtr Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm a player and collector, I play everyday. I now have bought all the guitars I wanted when I was young. Now I'm older and can afford them now. So I'm at 25 guitars, 9 strats, custom shops and masterbuilts. Also all the amps I also wanted. That's like 12 amps hand wired stuff, boutique. All the stuff is awesome. Sounds fantastic, it's all about tone. Hey I enjoy it, also got the Harley's, and hot rods also. I just retired so more guitar time. Worked hard many years, so I'm guilty of enjoying myself now.
    OK not bragging just the facts man.

6. Elvie

Elvie Strat-O-Master

Every guitar I buy detracts from the amount of time I spend playing the ones that I already own. To me this doesn't feel good.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  7. Dr Improbable

Dr Improbable Strat-O-Master

I have one strat and that's it! But, whatever floats your boat is ok with me....

8. pauljo1963

pauljo1963 Senior Stratmaster

I have in the past 2 years , offloaded 8 guitars
    I am down to 4 electrics
    1 partscaster strat with D Allen tru 54's
    1 partscaster tele with SD PAF 59 HB in the neck and Broadcaster bridge pickup
    also fitted with Hipshot B & G bender and Drop D switch
    1 Maton EG 240 jazz box guitar ( made in 1960)
    A Vantage x 99 ( 1984) recently fitted with SD P rails and the triple shot switching rings

for the 2 bands i play in, and the small amount of gigging, this is enough

9. PATAKYED

PATAKYED Strat-Talker

+1. Me too!

10. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

I'm down to 20-something electrics, but I still consider myself a player. I do play a lot, and I rotate through most of my guitars pretty regularly, so they don't feel too lonely.

11. bigsnaketex

bigsnaketex Strat-Talker

As I ordered a Martin D45V yesterday, I have slipped down the slope to being simply a guitar whore. . . .

I'm so ashamed.

12. 60sman

60sman Strat-Talker

I have bonded with my strat, it's an amer./std. sienna sunburst w/maple fretboard. it's almost a thing of loyalty to it,it doesn't get any better than this. I can well afford any Rickenbacker which I love the 325/64 and any Gibson. I;m afraid I would totally ignore one and play the other or what if both guitars sound the same. maple or rosewood fretboard makes no difference to me, how do you people deal with this stupid problem.

13. pinto79

pinto79 Strat-Talker

I'm both. At my highest I had 37 guitars at one time including one acoustic and 2 basses. I'm down to about 15 now including a couple of projects. I miss the big crew...

14. revmike

revmike Strat-Talker

Player. I have a fair amount, 17 at last count. Nothing really expensive or collectable. But all good solid player's guitars. I would never buy a guitar just to "have". If its not going to be a player, I don't buy it. And if I get one thinking it'll be a player and it turns out I don't use it....it goes. No knocking those that collect, but it just ain't really my thing. I don't have the space or the money. If I did, well then it might be another story.

15. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

A year and a half ago, I realized that this hobby was getting out of hand. I longed for simpler times where I was happy with only 1-2 electrics. So I went from this:

[​IMG]

To this:
    [​IMG]

16. SAguitar

SAguitar Senior Stratmaster

Michael, are you sure you're not heading the wrong direction?

17. Drubbing

Drubbing Strat-O-Master

Like others, I cannot see the point in owning numerous guitars. I have little enough time to practice and play as it is, without trying to decide on which guitar to do it with, and messing around getting a given sound for what I'm going to play.

1 Strat, 1 Acoustic and a modelling amp. If I can't get everything I need with that, then I'd find another hobby. If I ever get good enough to play with/for others, then I think I could justify another, or just something more upmarket.

18. JackSparrow123

JackSparrow123 Strat-Talk Member

I MAKE myself never keep more than TWO for my own use. Reason? I like the concept of bonding with only one or two guitars at the most...I find I play better, cleaner, and I form a real relationship with them like this. If I had 25 guitars, I could not do that. Now...in a separate room of my home, I DO keep a number of guitars bought for the express intent to re-sell them and make a few dollars. I never play them. I only keep new strings on them, keep them in tune, make climate adjustments when necesarry and wait for them to sell. I'm happy with the two I have bonded with, and don't really want to bond with anymore. But I do *most certailnly* respect and DO admire you guys that have those big collections...I truly enjoy looking at what you have found in YOUR hunts and haunts thru want-ad's, Craig's List, yardsales and the like. Each has a story and love to hear Guitar Aquisition stories!!!

19. albala

albala Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I never set out to have so many Strats. It happened more by accident.

I have 7 Fenders. 6 are Fender Partscasters. I can't remember having a problem connecting with any of them. If an assembled piece doesn't feel or sound right, it gets disassembled and will become two new assemblies.

20. Kester

Kester Strat-O-Master

I am currently at 5 electrics, gassing terribly for a sixth but resisting. I find the best thing to ease the GAS is to spend time appreciating the guitars you do have.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.