I think my band is...dis-banded...

Discussion in 'Bands on the Run' started by Mansonienne, Apr 6, 2021.

1. ZlurkCorzDog

ZlurkCorzDog INMATE #7XX7XX7

Dead has such a sound of finality to it I've been trying to think of a replacement word for it in your title. How about Toast?
    This is not intended as a joke. Best of luck & as someone said, when one door closes another opens. Be of good cheer.

drp146, Mansonienne and rolandson like this.
  2. BuddyHollywood

BuddyHollywood Strat-O-Master

I've never heard you or your band but I want to play music with you only because you have an album cover worthy avatar. Your avatar is one of my favorites of all time.

I also wanted to "Like" your original post but felt that "Like" wasn't the right vibe.

I've been doing a lot of recording recently. I recorded a few drum tracks with one of my friends who lives in Kansas City. I'm in Los Angeles. He emailed me his scratch tracks, I recorded my parts and then sent them to him so he can import them into his session. The current situation has forced me to get creative with how I play music with others.

drp146, ZlurkCorzDog and Mansonienne like this.
  3. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    You're right. Fixed it.
    And signed back up in the site where I met most of my now ex-bandmates.
    The other remaining member doesn't want to try to revive it but I'm sure he'll come to jams and, who knows, maybe something else will come along.
    And perhaps I'll get my other trio to rock bit more ...the singer gravitates towards slow stuff and I'm not having as much fun...

4. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Silver Member

Admin Post
    Thanks for the kind words! And good for you on the cross-country collaboration!

5. SoulSurfer

SoulSurfer Strat-O-Master

Le bonheur ne se trouve pas dans un seul group. Le development personnelle se fait en faissant parti de plusieurs "bands". Bonne chance.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Mansonienne likes this.
  6. BigDan

BigDan Strat-Talker

I feel your pain love. Keep going and do nothing to make it hurt more and I know you will come out on the other side of it better than before. Best wishes for you and the band.

drp146 and Mansonienne like this.
  7. sttrat714

sttrat714 Strat-Talk Member

Everything changes, but hope springs eternal. The fact that you grieve means you have what it takes.

8. khan

khan Strat-O-Master

You're doing exactly what I would have suggested. Focus on recording and working with different people to build them with. Doesn't have to be a permanent band. Through those collaborations, things will naturally develop.

drp146 likes this.
  9. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

You'll move onto something else you like just as much. It'll be hard but if you love to play it has no choice but to happen.

10. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member

My current group has been steady for a long time, but previously I've been through enough band breakups - it's almost a relief if the breakup was due to bad blood - it's sadder when the breakup is due to just life changes and not the relationships.

11. Scott Baxendale

Scott Baxendale Senior Stratmaster Gold Supporting Member

If you are serious you should be able to find a replacement. A lot of folks are looking right now since we are getting close to the end of this pandemic and they have been bored for the last year.....hopefully! As my band dwindled I just scaled down my act. Build up a repertoire of songs you can do solo or with a band and start playing those. I can play solo, duo, trio, four piece, etc.....

12. rocknrollrich

rocknrollrich Most Honored Senior Member

Two areas of life where relationships don't last..... rock bands and old folks homes.
    Enjoy it while you're in it.

Having said that, these are also the two areas of life where it's easy to make new relationships

Tguitarfloyd, drp146 and Mansonienne like this.
  13. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Strat-O-Master

I knew my band was disbanded when my drummer lost to cancer, a couple of months ago. We've been playing off and on since 1986, and he was the reason I kept it going. The other two were at best, tepidly interested in playing. Now that he's gone, there's no replacing him.

14. SalvorHardin

That's just 'sound-of-music claptrap. There's a time of life when doors close, windows do not open, and you're screwed.

15. SalvorHardin

"...Sadder still to watch it die, than never to have known it: For those the blind who once could see, the bell tolls for thee." Neil Peart

drp146 and ToneRanger like this.
  16. nomadh

nomadh Strat-Talker

Was this your first real band? That one always hurts the worst. I lucked out and found a great bunch of guys at a work band. An experienced rhythm guitar that was a better singer than I thought at the time. A conga/harp player a beginner bass that thought we were all much better than we were. and a young guy from cl on drums. Later we added a very very good singer who went on to some success after our band yanked him around a bit because the others didn't know what we had. The harp drops out add a female singer a while other guitar drops out. New guy is too mercenary. Founding bass drops out and somehow its now MY band?!?!?! New bass was our old bass/soundguy assistant. Great kid, good player and his young energy keeps me sane but then he drops out and it becomes sheer drudgery and all people I picked. Eventually I get an offer to play a 40th bday party. I put together a band from pieces that really works well but I realize i'm the last man standing and my band's very first gig was this same guys 30th bday party exactly 10 years earlier. So I call it at a perfect book ended 10 yr mark.
    Since I've had some great times met some outstanding players and people. Most of covid I thought I hit another jackpot when a few friends and a new singer jelled perfectly. We even got to talk politics and religion. I mean perfect. Better groove than ever. I think I made a critical mistake. I needed to call in better lead guitarist to keep their interest but I was challenging myself and growing alot so I stalled. If I called in the right guy we'd be a rehearsed ready to play out the gate killer band but I blew it. :(
    But still going to open mics, playing with friends, meeting new people, finding new challenges and moving chess pieces in the background working towards building another family.

If you love music it will be worth working for and that in itself can be a fun learning experience.
    Get out to open mics and find people to play with at your skill level. And horn in to play with those much better. And play with those worse or less experienced. A beginning kb player I met and gave a chance to 3 years ago is now a good friend and great, in demand bass player I work with.
    Keep on keepin on. It will work out. And it will be a wild crazy story.
    :)

17. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

While you wait for the process of finding others to get going, you might find learning and playing this to be somewhat therapeutic.... :D

And this, with the appropriate gender modifications:

I'm a firm believer that as soon as you settle on one idea, something comes along to upset the apple cart. So maybe you can run a little reverse psychology on fate.

"He who would hear the gods laugh....makes plans." :)

18. metrokosmiko

metrokosmiko Strat-Talker

Every ending is a new beginning. You cherish the good memories the band brought you and keep moving forward.

"La única manera de continuar en vida es manteniendo templada la cuerda de nuestro espíritu, tenso el arco, apuntando hacia el futuro."

("The only way to continue in life is to keep the string of our soul tight, our bow tense, aiming for the future" - something to that effect. Julio Ramón Ribeyro)

drp146, Mansonienne and J4ME5 like this.
  19. J4ME5

J4ME5 Strat-O-Master

'Claptrap' – is accepting things can not get better, believing that better days are not ahead – accepting 'closed' doors, as if there are NOT a billion doors out there – each built in a different style, painted each – a different colour, with different people behind them, of different personalities – different qualities, different ideas... different opportunities, different differences... – NOT all doors, are the same :thumb: !

20. Kenru

Kenru New Member!

Think of it as a chance to leave your comfort zone and try something new