Join Strat-Talk Today

I took my blood sugar tonight.

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by heltershelton, Jul 10, 2019.

1. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

Well yeah. But an instrumental guitarist ain't gonna make Celine Dion money. Or even Green Day money.

That was David's point....the GP wants songs. Words & music.

We want meedly meedly. LOL

2. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah, absolutely. I remember the stories about Holdsworth and the money he got to make his albums, and he would always run over budget pay part of it out of his pocket... EJ has done very well.

davidKOS and fezz parka like this.
  3. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Actually, I could only occasionally understand the words, but unless it’s a song I know well and have sung, I’m rarely listening to the words to begin with. I just think a great voice, or even a good or merely OK voice with a great singer behind it is the most expressive possible musical instrument. It was Clapton or someone of his level who said behind every great guitarist is a frustrated singer... I’m a mediocre at best guitarist who can occasionally create moments of beauty on a guitar, but I’m a pretty awful singer who can rarely get through a song without moments that sound truly bad. If I could choose to be great at one of these things, I’d rather be a great singer.

When I was in college, I was lucky enough to see Oscar Peterson, Joe Pass, and Ella Fitzgerald in concert together one night. Oscar and Joe each did solo sets and then traded off backing Ella. These were two of the great instrumentalists of their or any generation, but all I could think about walking out of that place was Ella’s amazing vocals. And I could only understand the words on a few songs - she always sang “April in Paris” really clearly. Hell, a lot of her best singing was scatting anyway - no words.

But your point absolutely holds with my wife. If it’s not a song with an identifiable verse chorus verse thing going on and a decent singer, it’s not music. She doesn’t get jazz or other mostly improvised music - she’s just not interested. I seem to love it all. I remember Oscar being quoted by some jazz writer who was trying to get him to diss Stevie Wonder because he wasn’t a jazz guy - he basically said there are two kinds of music in the world, good music and bad music, making the point that Stevie was one of the great writers on the planet. I agree with him - I like the good kind!

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
    Monkeyboy, davidKOS and CB91710 like this.
  4. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

5. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

Yep. This was my point even if my $ figures were off.

davidKOS likes this.
  6. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-O-Master

Yeah Blackberry Smoke are a great band. I’ve been digging the for a couple years now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

7. Monkeyboy

Monkeyboy Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I disagree about singing being the most expressive, not because I think you're wrong, but because I think there's too much subjectivity and personal preference involved in listening for it to be so broadly generalized as that- that great singing is more expressive than great instrument playing. My own preferences being a case in point, in that loads of my favorite music is instrumental. I also often don't understand the words in songs, so I mostly don't care what songs are about . I'm listening to the music and the sounds of the singing. I'll listen to great music with lousy singing more readily than to lousy music with great singing. Not that I categorically value music over singing, just that it's not the other way around. Not all music needs singing, and not all singing needs music, but rarely do I listen to stand alone singing. This one comes to mind , though, and made quite an impact on us at the theater.

davidKOS likes this.
  8. Thunderhopkins8

Thunderhopkins8 Strat-O-Master

Interesting stuff on how hits are actually created, from a very reliable source lol

9. RaySachs

RaySachs Senior Stratmaster Strat-Talk Supporter

Fair enough. I guess the point I was trying to make is that great singing isn't necessarily about lyrics - in my case it very rarely is. People always say the tenor sax is the closest instrument to the human voice, which I guess means the average human voice because some singers are altos and some are sopranos too. A lot of my favorite music is instrumental too - that's always been my point of reference.

I guess the thing about singing is when I hear a great guitarist, I can almost imagine to myself that if I worked hard enough, with enough single minded determination, I could just about play what he or she just played - I might or might not be enough of a musician to come up with the musical impulse, but I should be able to get close to physically being able to do it. I'm not, nowhere close, but it seems within the realm of the possible, or at least close to possible. When I hear an amazing vocal, it's just so individual and personal and seems to come from such a deep place, I can't even begin to relate to it or imagine ANY way I'd ever be able to do that. Bonnie Raitt, Patti Griffin, Joni, Van Morrison, a bunch of jazz singers, or any one of five singers I heard at that concert the other night. I hear that stuff and it just kills me and I think, "god, to be able to sing like that". Whereas with the guitar it's at least within the realm of my imagination, with singing it's not. Although watching Derek Trucks, man that guy's pretty otherworldly...

10. 808K

808K Strat-O-Master

I’m surprised at how many here have trouble understanding the singer’s words. I always thought it was my crappy hearing. Maybe not? Or do we all have crappy hearing? Too much volume?

11. Bcorig

Bcorig Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

I recall reading a George Thorogood interview where he was asked if he had any advice for aspiring guitarists and he said something like “Learn to sing”.

fezz parka likes this.
  12. Bcorig

Bcorig Strat-O-Master Strat-Talk Supporter

9375D875-14A1-4C54-8DEC-C927238FFD12.png
    After doing that once, the bottle never left my hand.
    Also it depends on the bottle. Now I drink from bottles and ones I’m able to see the contents.

13. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

I've been testing my grandma twice a day....in the am before breakfast and in the pm before dinner.
    it ranges between 116 and 136.
    this is what I have to reverse before they tell her she needs insulin. it's only been a few weeks and I have thrown out (given to the neighbors) all sweets and processed crap that was in the house.
    she really loves her sweets, so I told her I will eat the same thing she eats....that way she won't feel all alone. I generally eat very healthy anyway.
    she goes to a dietician on the 16th to formulate a good diet for her and I am going also to learn what I can.

14. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Same here.
    There's a reason that there is a ~200 page book "Scuse me While I Kiss This Guy" and "kissthisguy.com" documenting commonly mis-heard lyrics.
    Many are rather silly and the authors' attempts at being funny pushing into parody rather than honest misunderstandings... but when I was a kid, I honestly heard "Coolin" as "Julie... On a Sunny Afternoon" followed by "Life would be ecstasy, you and me and Leslie"
    My wife is pretty good and picking out lyrics... I'm not. Sometimes I'll get it years later when I hear someone in a cover band sing it more clearly.
    Sir Elton is probably one of the worst for this.
    But it's not a public speaking project... it's art.

808K likes this.
  15. CB91710

CB91710 This is a Custom Title Gold Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Sweets are an insidious enemy.
    My wife would always include some kind of special package of candy with Christmas and birthday presents, but there was also the weekly flow of Little Debbies.
    If they were not here, I wouldn't look for them. If they were, I'd munch.
    But sometimes things you think are helping are actually hurting. My wife had been buying "Lactaid" instead of milk, until the doc pointed out that it has a lot of sugar added.
    My diagnosis last March was what it took for both of us to watch what we eat.

Good on you for taking care of Grandma. I lost my dad (96!) last month. Enjoy the time you have left with her, whether it's another week or another 50 years.

heltershelton likes this.
  16. Sangetsu

Sangetsu Strat-Talker

At least you could afford Stuckey’s, we got by on deviled ham sandwiches. Two cans of deviled ham and two loaves of bread cost less than a dollar. The only thing worse than a deviled ham sandwich is half a deviled ham sandwich.

17. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-O-Master

You’re a good man HS

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ZlurkCorzDog and heltershelton like this.
  18. fezz parka

fezz parka Strat-Talk Supporter

You're 9 years younger than me. You can handle it.

Nate D likes this.
  19. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

try ramen noodles every day for a month.

fezz parka and Nate D like this.
  20. Nate D

Nate D Most Honored Senior Member

How about 1/2 an MRE for 8 weeks?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.