I Wanna Be Your Slave - Måneskin

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
This one is a bit different so I'm not sure how well received it will be. For one, the song was released in 2021 so it definitely falls outside of the 30-50 year old tunes I usually do. ;)

I first became aware of these guys (and a gal on bass) when they were musical guests on SNL some months back. Our European friends might recognize the band from the 2021 Eurovision contest where they won on behalf of Italy (the band is from Rome). I found this song to be instantly infectious. It's fairly simple with the guitar playing variations of the same riff throughout. Given the sparseness, I thought I'd dust off an old Squier bass that somehow is still with me although I'm not a proper bass player by any stretch.

In an era of pop music where there aren't many rock bands represented, these guys are a bit of fresh air to me. They make enough nods to the past while sounding modern.

I Wanna Be Your Slave - Måneskin

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Thanks guys. I realize this one is a little out in left field so I appreciate you giving it a listen.

@CigBurn to say I can play bass would be an insult to real bass players. The best I can do is play it like I play guitar.

Stone

Most Honored Senior Member
Dec 17, 2019
Mean Streets
Wow Didn't know you played the bass as well 🤯
Don't know this song but man you played that well as usual, especially enjoyed the bass since its something I've never seen you play :)
Great tone on that Guitar as well
Kudos to you Ralph in your Diversity :thumb:

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Wow Didn't know you played the bass as well 🤯
Don't know this song but man you played that well as usual, especially enjoyed the bass since its something I've never seen you play :)
Great tone on that Guitar as well
Kudos to you Ralph in your Diversity :thumb:

Thanks Mike. I promise we'll return to grandpa rock with my next one. 🤣

I bought it used some years back for about $120 as I figured the short scale would be guitarist friendly. In addition to the short scale, it's got both the P-bass and Jazz pickups for a bit of variety. When I sold off most of my equipment a few years back, I gave that bass to my brother in law. About a year ago he mentioned that he didn't really play it so I took it back. I think this is only the 2nd or 3rd song I've used it on which tells you how much of a bass player I am. :D

Baelzebub

Dr. Stratster
Nov 1, 2019
State of Disbelief
Catchy. Interesting you picked up on them from SNL. In it's entire run I don't think I've seen 3 bands that sounded any good on that show. I don't know if it's the mixes or what but their musical segments always sound awful.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Catchy. Interesting you picked up on them from SNL. In it's entire run I don't think I've seen 3 bands that sounded any good on that show. I don't know if it's the mixes or what but their musical segments always sound awful.

I don't really watch the show much anymore and not sure how or why I was watching when I saw them as I'm rarely up that late. They immediately caught my attention based on their look and I liked what their guitarist was doing.

This was the song they won Eurovision with.

StratMike10

Dr. Stratster
Silver Member
Apr 8, 2010
Florida
Sweet!!!! That put a smile on my face... your spectrum is wide, my brother. Nice bass slappin after 1:35... you'd make such an awesome studio music man. Well done Ralph.

Mouse

The Knees of Rock
Apr 25, 2012
New Jersey
Well done Mouse.
Great bass playing, and of course, the guitar sounds really good!!!
Thanks for this.
Rene

Thanks Rene for your support.

Sweet!!!! That put a smile on my face... your spectrum is wide, my brother. Nice bass slappin after 1:35... you'd make such an awesome studio music man. Well done Ralph.

Thanks Mike. As long as the band doesn’t mind “old guy in the basement” style guitar, I’m their guy! :D

As for the bass, I can count on both hands how many times I play the thing. I’ll pull it out whenever I get a wild hair about recording a bass part which isn’t often. With guitar I don’t pick particularly heavy so I quickly found out that approach didn’t sound very good on bass…at least for this track it didn’t. I’m using a thick felt pick which may contribute to that so I starting really digging in and “slapping” the strings with the pick. By doing that I was starting to hear some pops in addition to better volume so I ran with it. But honestly I really have no idea what I’m doing with the bass lol.