I want an acoustic!

s5tuart

Perfecting time travel since 2525
Aug 8, 2011
All over the place!
Ive decided I want an acoustic but I’m clueless about which one to get.
I have a budget of around £300 for a used one unless I find a bargain Gibson Hummingbird :rolleyes: :D
It will need a low and light action and sound good with skinny strings.
I want to use it mainly for recording and perhaps a bit of songwriting, so please fire away with suggestions. :thumb:

montemerrick

no earthly reason why
Apr 13, 2015
300 miles from anywhere.
Ive decided I want an acoustic but I’m clueless about which one to get.
I have a budget of around £300 for a used one unless I find a bargain Gibson Hummingbird :rolleyes: :D
It will need a low and light action and sound good with skinny strings.
I want to use it mainly for recording and perhaps a bit of songwriting, so please fire away with suggestions. :thumb:[/QUOTE

70s era yamaha or ibanez in decent condition . inside your budget, nicely aged wood and lawsuit era coolness... lots of options within that category.

here's my recent beloved:

http://www.strat-talk.com/threads/belated-ngd.504585/

Musekatcher

Senior Stratmaster
Jun 30, 2016
meridianam altum centralis
I bought a new Martin Dreadnought Jr about a month ago. Good sound to me and under $500 USD

Me too - it may be the best damn sounding acoustic I've found in that price range, for a basic dreadnought sound. It sounds just like my full size Martins, only softer. Plugged in, indistinguishable. And it may be THE best sounding travel size flattop.

Wrighty

Dr. Stratster
Mar 7, 2013
Harlow, Essex, UK
I want doesn't get young man. :D

I'd look at some Yamaha and Takamine. I used them for gigging and recording, cheap, solid and reliable.
Had my Yamaha for 40+ years. Tried and bought others since, always come back to tge Yam. Matured nicely. Our singer has just bought a Yamaha electr-acoustic for around £300. Beautifully made, sounds good with or without plugging in and has a really comfy neck. Can’t go wrong IMHO

nutball73

Senior Stratmaster
Nov 12, 2013
Southern UK
I'd recommend taking a look at Cort. I have a Cort Earth series 200GC and for the money it's a fantastic guitar. Solid spruce top, solid mahogany sides and back, with just a little abalone decoration (I prefer subtle). It's a small body, which is good for people used to electrics. I think I paid just under £300 brand new.

IMG-1370.JPG IMG-1371.JPG

Thrup'ny Bit

Grand Master Curmudgeon
May 21, 2010
Yorkshire
I'd recommend taking a look at Cort. I have a Cort Earth series 200GC and for the money it's a fantastic guitar. Solid spruce top, solid mahogany sides and back, with just a little abalone decoration (I prefer subtle). It's a small body, which is good for people used to electrics. I think I paid just under £300 brand new.

View attachment 330231 View attachment 330232

I'm pretty sure that Cort made the "Fender" acoustic I had back in the late 90s. That is a nice guitar that now lives with my Grandson.

Hippieway

Strat-Talker
Mar 16, 2009
Virginia
There are a lot of good guitars in that price range, there have already been some great suggestions here. I got my daughter a used Taylor Big Baby for $200 at Christmas. Nice guitar, I would have been happy to keep it myself.
Everybody needs at least one acoustic.

Mansonienne

Mod admin
Staff member
Silver Member
Dec 2, 2015
Paris suburbs, France

View attachment 330231 View attachment 330232
I can attest to its lovely sound!

IronSchef

Senior Stratmaster
May 17, 2012
Flew Here On My Dragonfly
I had an Epiphone Hummingbird that I really liked … but the tuners stripped out when they were new ! :(

I ordered an Epi Hummingbird last summer - and it had 2 bad tuners right out of the box. Very disappointing, I did not even get to hear it before I had to bring it back in (and they had no others at GC, had to go w/ a different brand)