I want an acoustic!

s5tuart

Perfecting time travel since 2525
Aug 8, 2011
All over the place!
I had an Epiphone Hummingbird that I really liked … but the tuners stripped out when they were new ! :(

I ordered an Epi Hummingbird last summer - and it had 2 bad tuners right out of the box. Very disappointing, I did not even get to hear it before I had to bring it back in (and they had no others at GC, had to go w/ a different brand)
Seems like an inherent problem emerging!

simoncroft

Still playing. Still learning!
Silver Member
May 30, 2013
SE England
I know exactly what's brought this on @s5tuart! While I was working on Sunny Side Up, I thought: "Darn, I wish I had a really good acoustic guitar, because this song's crying out for it." I'm sure that's what's done it.

(We were both working on an arrangement for a song. Alas, our new singer/songwriter has decided she isn't going to attempt a career in music after all. This is getting a bit like Spinal Tap's drummers. Let's hope the third one doesn't end up in a bizarre gardening accident...)

May your Gibson Hummingbird turn out to be a thing of purpose and beauty. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

LPBlue

"That Guy", again...dammit!
Jul 19, 2012
Canada, near the other end
There are a lot of good guitars in that price range, there have already been some great suggestions here. I got my daughter a used Taylor Big Baby for $200 at Christmas. Nice guitar, I would have been happy to keep it myself.
Everybody needs at least one acoustic.

Great choice! Full scale with a beautiful tone and a good guitar for recording because it won't "boom" your mic. I have an 04 BB (the last year MIA) that I got new in a convoluted trade for $2, yes...$2!:cool:

s5tuart

Perfecting time travel since 2525
Aug 8, 2011
All over the place!
I know exactly what's brought this on @s5tuart! While I was working on Sunny Side Up, I thought: "Darn, I wish I had a really good acoustic guitar, because this song's crying out for it." I'm sure that's what's done it.

(We were both working on an arrangement for a song. Alas, our new singer/songwriter has decided she isn't going to attempt a career in music after all. This is getting a bit like Spinal Tap's drummers. Let's hope the third one doesn't end up in a bizarre gardening accident...)

May your Gibson Hummingbird turn out to be a thing of purpose and beauty. :thumb::thumb::thumb:
Correctamundo Si
It’s already a thing of beauty imho, let’s hope it’s purposeful too :D

Antman

Strat-Talker
Dec 29, 2013
London
I tried a bunch out...Martins...etc but went with Taylor academy 12e. Sounded great...nicely set up and comes with a thick case type gig bag

jvin248

Most Honored Senior Member
Jan 10, 2014
Michigan

Yamaha
Washburn/Oscar Schmidt (these are made by Samick, just like Cort makes Fender)
Epiphone

The key point will be finding a good guitar tech that can set up the guitar for you and do a fret level if necessary. I buy and flip the above brands, so I can recommend them, but my player acoustic is a MIC Johnson branded one that originally sold for $80 that I've leveled the frets and it plays as well as the spendy ones.

Latest posts