Join Strat-Talk Today

I want humbuckers

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by BuffaloHound, Feb 21, 2020.

1. BuffaloHound

BuffaloHound Strat-Talker

I own some Strats and a couple acoustics. But I plan to buy a guitar with two humbuckers in the near future. I haven’t had a chance to play many humbucker pickups, but I’ll be borrowing a Epiphone Les Paul Plus from a friend in a couple days. And I will play some Fender Jags (probably Vintura) and Epiphone (or maybe Gibson) Les Pauls and SGs at my local guitar dispensary. However, I never get comfortable with an instrument at a guitar store. Does anyone have an insights on the differences in sound between the forementioned guitars.
    thanks.

2. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

LP and SG will sound different ... like the difference between a Strat neck and middle pickup change because of the 24 frets pushing the SG neck pickup back. Jags have single and/or humbucker mixed.

Find a PRS SE 22 to test instead of the LP/SG. Get that used under $400. Get a Jaguar or Jazzmaster if you want an offset.

3. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Senior Stratmaster

You could always stick a single coil sized humbucker or two in a Strat. They work well.

popa_chubbys_jbjr.jpg

4. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General Strat-Talk Supporter

I’ve owned 4 Les Pauls and sold every one of them. Bought a PRS Custom 22 in November and my humbucker search ended.

Jason D likes this.
  5. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

I absolutely love SG's.
    You'll just have to try different ones. If you play and SG, make sure you spend some time around the 12th fret +/- a couple to test for dead notes, especially if it has the early 60's neck joint (like a lot of the new Epi's do) . It will allow for unrivalled upper fret access but the long unsupported neck can cause some resonance issues.
    Did I mentions that I love SG's?

Nick-O, Michael919 and Stratwrangler like this.
  6. Stratwrangler

Stratwrangler Senior Stratmaster

@Cerb beat me to it , but try the new Epiphone range if you can also try something with p90s if your after a sound a bit thicker than a strat but still with clarity and bite.

myredstrat and Cerb like this.
  7. Michael919

Michael919 Senior Stratmaster

A Dimarzio Chopper or Fast Track 2, with a 500k volume pot and you may find what you are looking for.

A Strat will never sound like an LP or SG because of the scale length, material and construction differences, but you can close the gap.

3B3B9C16-9EBF-4CAD-95C8-E7179B7762EE.jpeg

fenderkev and Dewey like this.
  8. Martins Strat

Martins Strat Strat-Talker

It’ll be an interesting transition for you. If you’re used to single coils you might find some humbuckers a little muddy. I found it difficult getting a decent sound out of them using the same setup as I use with my Strat, you might need to use different pedals with a humbucker equipped guitar to optimise the sound. I got bored trying to get a sound I was looking for and went back to using single coils only, lots of other people love the variety though.
    I would say don’t get sucked into the brand name thing, I had an Epi les paul that I loved but I sold it to buy a Gibson Les Paul tribute, it didn’t play as well as the Epi and I wish I’d kept that instead.
    If I were looking for a humbucker guitar now I’d head straight to a PRS.

9. Jimi Lightning

Jimi Lightning Most Honored Senior Member

I beat that hunt as already suggested by putting a humbucker in the bridge position of my Strat.
    Les Pauls, Jags, SGs all have there own magic and sound different.

Triple Jim and Michael919 like this.
  10. fenderkev

fenderkev Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I've owned Les Pauls, SG's, and ES335's, but always ended up back with a Strat because I love how comfortable they are, and also the Fender neck is the best there is for me. I'm with @Triple Jim, and @Michael919, on the Strat size humbucker route. It's a very easy fix if you want humbucker tones in a Strat.

IMG_20200222_143742 (3).jpg

Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Triple Jim likes this.
  11. CGHguitars

CGHguitars Strat-O-Master

Also owned and sold multiple LP’s. Just couldn’t get the tones in my head out of them. Had and sold two PRS’s that I loved, but had to sell for financial reasons.
    finally just got another PRS, and it is incredible. I think a player used to single coil sounds will do far better with PRS than with a Les Paul, and maybe better than Gibson overall. amazing playability, and as much clarity as you want. Killer fat blues tones if you want those.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.