I want to play my Les Paul

Discussion in 'Other Guitar Discussion' started by Lonn, Jun 15, 2021.

1. The Strat Dude

The Strat Dude Posy rules!

Nothing wrong with 57 classics, but if a bit more zing is what you are after see if @Bodean will wind you a set of his proprietary "X" buckers. Secret sauce and 11 herbs and spices in them, but still able to clean up with volume.

2. JeffBlue

JeffBlue Strat-O-Master

Seymour Duncan 59/JB
    IMG_0406.jpg IMG_0404.jpg

Proliferant and Baelzebub like this.
  3. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

lol..I'm not in it to be loved....but I don't think I've ever had it over 5.

The neighbors on either side are cool and the one across the street is a complete dikk, (although his g/f, oddly, caught me out in the yard the other day and said she likes to put a chair out on their lawn and listen to me play), so it all works out.

Tguitarfloyd, JeffBlue and Ebidis like this.
  4. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Dr. Stratster

what did you find out about the caps in it? I have a set of coil tapped probuckers I might be willing to part with, if swapping caps doesn't get it where you want it.

5. Driftwood

Driftwood Strat-Talker

I played mine through a 100 watt 1959SLP and they sounded good even with linear 300k pots but a plexi has a powerful EQ you can tune out any muddiness. The bridge had some real bite to it and I doubt anyone would be able to tell the difference between a 490r and a 57 classic in a blind test. I replaced them because someone told me 57 classics were better. If they are, it's marginal. If I did it again I'd just put a 490t at the bridge, some 500k pots, and be done with it.

Ebidis likes this.
  6. brmusician

brmusician Strat-Talker

Lower the pickup height, put them as far as possible from the strings. The tone will improve a lot IMHO.

7. Dibbs

Dibbs Senior Stratmaster

Di Marzios are decent pickups. Go for it.

8. Guitarmageddon

Guitarmageddon Dr. Stratster

Just take out the pickups, put no new ones in, and play it unplugged all the time lol :p @Lonn

Esg877 and Baelzebub like this.
  9. Chicago Matt

Chicago Matt Strat-O-Master

I like the 57 Classics, but Seth Lovers are lower wind I believe. I really like them in my Les Paul, less mud than others I've tried. They work great as is or with the Peter Green magnet flip in the neck, I've done both. And, for me, treble bleeds on the volume pots are a must to keep humbuckers from turning to mud when turning down the volume. I also would be interested to see what the Bill Lawrence blades mentioned earlier would sound like. They sound wonderful in Johnny Lang's Tele IMO. Good luck!

benderb9 and smithstrato like this.
  10. Neil.C

Neil.C Most Honored Senior Member

Nothing wrong with the pickups. Probably just that you are used to single coils.

Give it some time with the humbuckers and plenty of amp adjustments.

When I play s/cs for a while h/b's sound incredibly thick, when I play h/b's for a while s/c's sound thin and weedy.

Just takes a bit of settling in.

Archtops, NiteGoat and s5tuart like this.
  11. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member

Admin Post
    Haven't had time to look yet. Between packing and shipping all the guitars I've sold and other stuff I haven't had time to play in about a week.

Baelzebub likes this.
  12. libertarian

libertarian Strat-O-Master

My main guitars are my strats and a Les Paul. I’ve been playing that combination for years and they serve different purposes depending on the material/song. However, I lucked out at some point in the mid 90s when I custom ordered a set of Lindy Fralin PAFs. Slightly overwound in the bridge, underwound in the neck. Combined with 1M ohm pots the thing has so much clarity that it works well for clean and slightly crunchy tones as wel as anything full blast. Somehow it’s not that far removed from the strats in the end while still sounding like a good Les Paul should - if that makes any sense.
    So yes, with Les Pauls it comes down to “clarity”. The originals from back in the day are actually often quite bright as well when Les Paula later became thought of as darker and heavier sounding.
    Your pickups may actually be quite ok. A cheap way to play around is with different value volume pots. Some Gibson models came with less than 500K volume pots. Also worth trying the different ways of wiring it up (modern, 50s, wiring one tone pot as coil split, etc).

13. jackietreehorn

jackietreehorn Strat-Talker

Ok, I’ve gone down this hole. For DiMarzio the ‘57 Classic is a great PAF like others have said. The Air Classic is a more modern open hifi with PAF flavor. If you want straight up 70s rock try a super d and a super 2. Seth Lovers from SD are are really nice PAF they’re unpotted so they have great clarity but can squeal I also like SD 59s for a potted PAF. I just grabbed some pickups from a small winder in Minnepolis guys company is called Revel. I got a WRHB and tele bridge - they might be the best pups I’ve ever played. Guy is super responsive on email. You could probably reach out and just tell him what you want and he would make it. Finally if you want something cheap GFS they’re Alnico 2 Pros aren’t bad. They’re nice and chimey. If you want a humbucker sized P90 GFS does the Mean 90 and that pickup isn’t just “nice for the money” it’s a good pickup period.

14. jim777

jim777 Strat-Talk Member

I think I would likely replace the wiring before replacing the pickups. I LOVE the PAF/Super D combo in a Les Paul, but I have heard very good things about the '57s. A Lester with those in her should sound pretty good. Looking at the wiring in there I don't know what's going on, but I think I would just gut what's in there and go with a regular 4/500K pots setup. One of those 'golden age' kits from Stew Mac or a MojoTone setup would run about as much as a single new pickup and my thought is you're not currently hearing the pickups that you have to their potential.

15. bobalu

bobalu Strat-Talker Silver Member

Gibson's '57 Classics are a humbucking benchmark/standard for good reason. You may just not like them (which is fine) but I suggest exploring a string change and, as others have suggested, pickup height adjusting. They would be easy to sell if you yanked them out and switched to the brand of your choice.

Also, I believe the120th anniversary editions had the circuit board mount controls with push/pull pots - I think you can just un-plug the pickups to change them, but pot switching may be a pain.

NiteGoat likes this.
  16. Esg877

Esg877 Strat-Talker

I wish I had boring times at work... :(

RL21980 likes this.
  17. cglasford

cglasford Strat-Talk Member

you bought it to put it away? for what reason?

NiteGoat likes this.
  18. Slartybartfast

Slartybartfast Strat-Talker

19. siegeld

siegeld Strat-Talk Member

Dimarzio PAFs are amazing, but everything form electronics to set-up to amp can have an impact

20. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music.

My .02....This is just my limited experience with 57s. I like the neck fine(a lot) but prefer something hotter in the bridge. The bridge can sound thin. In my guitar it had a thin piercing quality I couldn't dial out.

As always, every guitar is different so ymmv.