Ibanez DL5 help

Discussion in 'The Effect effect' started by StratPlus97, May 4, 2021.

1. StratPlus97

StratPlus97 Senior Stratmaster

I have an Ibanez DL5 digital delay with the finicky Footswitch. I switched the C4 .001 cap to a .005 and it works. The problem is now the pedal doesn’t work at all. :)
    The light comes on and off and I’ve got sound when the pedal is engaged AND not engaged but no effect. Any idea?
    I’ve switched out this cap before on other Sound Tanks with no issues...could switching this cap cause this issue?

2. space

space Strat-O-Master

Sounds like it might be a cold solder

3. OttoG

OttoG Strat-O-Master Silver Member

Sorry, whats the purpose of changing the cap on those specific pedals? New to soundtanks

4. StratPlus97

The cap change fixes the pedal switch. They are known for their switches being pretty finicky. Takes multiple presses to get the pedal engaged.

OttoG likes this.
  5. StratPlus97

So more news. I took the pcb out and the pedal works with the pcb out of the case. Really really odd. Would that be a grounding issue? I’m lost

6. Deafsoundguy

Deafsoundguy CERTIFIED HACK Silver Member

Well with that statement it sure sounds like the issue is a mechanical one now, causing an electronic issue. As in, perhaps you inserted a new cap but the leads aren’t clipped short enough and it’s touching ground somewhere when it’s fully assembled. Just a wild guess not seeing it.

leonard d rock likes this.
  7. GaryM

GaryM Strat-O-Master

The .001mfd switch capacitor should be changed to a .01mfd mylar or metal film. That fixed my Ibanez Soundtank EM5 Echo Machine switch problem.

8. StratPlus97

Well, it’s up and running again. I have seen other people use a .01 so maybe I should of done that. I’ll see how it runs going forward and if any more issues I’ll switch it out again. Thanks!

Deafsoundguy likes this.