Join Strat-Talk Today

Ibanez released their 2020 lineup

Discussion in 'Non-Fender S-Type Guitar Forum' started by diogoguitar, Jan 2, 2020.

1. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

2. vid1900

vid1900 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I wish I was overwhelmed with Fender's 2020 choices....

3. RB522

RB522 Strat-Talker

I've only had a chance to see a couple of them, but they look sweet!

4. diverse379

diverse379 Strat-O-Master

I’ve only had one Ibanez guitar but a couple of their basses

they make a great product.
    I wonder why I don’t or didn’t stick with them. I mean from a pure performance stand point they give a lot of bang for the buck
    New and used.

I think their guitar offerings just look weird to me
    But basses are always phenomenal

diogoguitar likes this.
  5. Chont

Chont Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My neighbor just got his son a $200 Ibanez for Christmas because he wants to learn. The damn thing is really nice. Transparent blue burst finish. Now I kinda want one.

Cerb, diogoguitar and Lovnmesomestrat like this.
  6. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I love the AZ series, I just wish they'd release a Prestige HSS model without a pickguard.

Shaytan, Lewbypls and diogoguitar like this.
  7. Sarnodude

Sarnodude Senior Stratmaster

They should bring back the Rocket Roll flying vee.

8. diogoguitar

diogoguitar Senior Stratmaster

yeah, and I'm really glad they finally released a lefty version. I wish they would have released a lefty HSS with 22 frets as well, but I guess they need to release their "Standard" version first.

ajb1965 likes this.
  9. nigelr

nigelr Senior Stratmaster

There's one currently for sale near me, are they any good?

10. sadmoodyfrazier

sadmoodyfrazier Strat-O-Master

There are a lot of beautiful instruments. Let's see prices. It would be beautiful if one of that Satriani models would be "affordable".

P.S. the cheapest is 900 euros. Nothing to see here.

s5tuart likes this.
  11. Sarnodude

Yes! One of the easiest playing guitars I ever played. Couldn't buy it back in the day because I was a poor college student.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2020
    nigelr likes this.
  12. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

To me Ibanez doesn’t look versatile enough... I don’t picture a marginal blues/country/Rocker playing one although I’m sure there is somewhere... It just seems like the guitar you grab to play a myxolidien run over a metronome...

13. Shaytan

Shaytan Strat-Talk Member

Check their whole line-up. A friend of mine bought an Artcore Jazz box for his Jazz studies and is very happy with it. He had originally pondered an Epi Joe Pass but ended up going for the Ibanez because it was high quality, had a slimmer neck closer to his MIM Strat and was overall cheaper.

The Ibanez line-up is very wide and versatile, IMO the only brand these days that can offer a guitar for almost every sort of player at any price point - plus one of the even fewer that pay attention to growing trends and market demand.

No doubts it was first Paul Stanley who saved Ibanez from dying just as Hondo or Greco did as yet another lawsuit era knockoff brand. Then, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani really brought it as a popular brand with the whole Superstrat craze - but yet again, that market lost its popularity in the late 90s and didn't saved other good companies in the same market from bankruptcy, like Jackson.

When Nu and Industrial metal began gaining popularity, Ibanez paid notice and answered to the demands of this new generation of players, backing up folks like Mick Thompson from Slipknot. Fast-forward to recent years, yet again, the rise of modern Metal genres and the Djent movement have been backed off by Ibanez, with a boost of 7 string, fanned frets and active high distortion pups being introduced in affordable models. Whereas other companies find themselves superior to new trends and turn their backs on these players and styles, only to then later play catch-up (let's remember Fender and Gibson identity crisis in the 80s), Ibanez business mindset has been from the beginning to answer to the present demand, and they get my massive respect for that.

And, to conclude and yet again reply to your statement, they do all of this while maintaining their old line-ups. Blues, Jazz and Rock n' Roll? Check their Artcore series, all stuff ideal for these genres with a modern touch. And, of course, their AZ series for more Strat-like S-type guitars, distancing from the Superstrat classic features while still getting the best of both worlds.

dogletnoir likes this.
  14. Ferpie

Ferpie Senior Stratmaster

definetly an uneducated statement, just a general feeling surrounding them... i do agree the jazz scene is well covered in Ibanez.

15. Sarnodude

Most of their guitars have a pair of humbuckers, so they do everything a Les Paul can do, except without the self-destructing headstock.

Shaytan likes this.
  16. Shaytan

Shaytan Strat-Talk Member

Ah, no worries! Sorry if I seemed to be looking down at you from my OP, I just like writing a bit more, mainly when I'm using it as an excuse for a study break for my finals... :rolleyes:

I do get where you're going, after all that's what their flagship models always seem to aim for.

Also, even though I really like and admire the brand, I've never owned one myself, but loved every one I've tried (I've had the opportunity to buy my ex's father 90s model years ago but glad I haven't because not only the price wasn't all that great for an entry level MIK in not so great shape, but also it would've been yet another stupid reason for her to talk **** about me to her family and friends; when I've bought my PRS as main guitar I've pondered some models but none spoke to me overall in terms of features and, finally, I've been on the lookout of a cheap old Superstrat and had hoped to find a deal on a MIJ RG, but a killer deal on a Jackson had appeared in the meantime which will fulfill the project just as nicely while I already had good experience with these).

Ferpie likes this.
  17. ajb1965

ajb1965 Old Enough to Know Better Strat-Talk Supporter

I don't know if I'd go that far :) Most people think of the RG series when Ibanez is mentioned, and that is 90% a metal guitar and probably 90% of their signature artists use it. In 2018 they introduced the AZ series which you could liken to a Suhr. High end super strats designed for any genre. Expensive but worth it IMHO.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.