Join Strat-Talk Today

Ibanez tube screamer, need advice.

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Will Hesch, Jan 2, 2010.

1. Will Hesch

Will Hesch Strat-Talk Member

Hi all, Happy New Year! I would like your thoughts and knowledge regarding the Ibanez Tube Screamer. I know Brad Paisley uses one and that's enough for me to want one. I've seen quite a few versions by Ibanez and even more modified versions. It seems the vintage 808 would be the ideal pedal but they just don't seem to be available anymore, so...what would your recomendations be? Thanks, Will

2. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Go to a guitar store and try all of them. I don't think I've ever been in a guitar store that didn't have all of them.

I prefer the TS9 over all of the others.

3. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

Buy a Maxon OD808 thats the origianl tube screamer that Maxon made for Ibanez. I have one and love it.

4. TexBiker

TexBiker Strat-O-Master

Just be aware that the current production Ibanez pedals aren't nearly as impressive as the originals. I have a vintage TS9 (same as BP) it's my favorite OD pedal by a large margin.

5. jmiller475

jmiller475 Strat-O-Master

I would check into some boutique pedal builders. I'd say some of the TS clones are better than your current Tube Screamers that are out today.

6. Will Hesch

Will Hesch Strat-Talk Member

Thanks guys, for the advice. I'm looking at a Keely modified TS9 (Ibanez Tube Screamer). Thinking and looking around. Thanks for the replies, I love this website, the best on the net! Will

7. Carlsoti

Carlsoti Senior Stratmaster

I've got the TS9DX. I like the added versatility of the additional modes.

8. TexBiker

TexBiker Strat-O-Master

You might also check the "Effects" forum below for more info on pedals.

9. Brad L

Brad L Strat-Talker

I have had my ts-9 for maybe a year and half/two years and couldn't be happier

10. jmiller475

jmiller475 Strat-O-Master

11. tonyw

tonyw Senior Stratmaster

12. StratmanR2S

StratmanR2S Strat-Talk Member

I liked the Maxon. it was a bit meatier than the Luther.

I have a TS-9 and also a BBE Green Screamer that sounds real good. I dig my Dan Electro Daddy-O too. It has 3 bands of EQ not just a tone knob.

Stay away from the modeling units. Although you'll have more sounds to chose from. none of them will be as good as the real thing.

13. LeftyBlake

LeftyBlake Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

My buddy has a Keeley modded TS9 in his pedal board and it's is a lot better than the stock TS9. Way more responsive and an overall better sound. I still think the stock TS9's are great pedals, but I don't know a whole lot about pedals. I own three and use one of them. I'm more of a guitar-straight-into-the-amp-kinda guy.

14. Irocku1008

Irocku1008 Strat-Talk Member

I have a TS-9 with the analogman 808 mod and couldn't be happier with the results. Beautiful mid-boost! Check them out analogman.com

15. Thin69

Thin69 Strat-Talker

TS9DX here and a TS5 cheap plastic unit as backup. These are great units because they can be so transparent. I can pick light and sound very clean or dig in a little and get some nice breakup but still cut through beautifully.

When I got the TS9DX I played several different versions in the store and could not decipher one from another. Trying them in a real live setting might make a big difference. Bought the TS9DX because of the extra positions but I never wind up using them.

I don't think you can go wrong here.

16. ToneRanger

ToneRanger Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I used to use Tube Screamers, but switched to first a Digitech Bad Monkey and am now using an Xotic AC Booster.
    The thing I like about both the Monkey and the AC is that they have dedicated treble and bass controls – much more tweakable and you can dial out some of that midrange “hump.”
    Every once and a while I’ll break out my old TS, but I always end up putting it away again because the low end just isn’t there for sound I’m going for…

17. anubis

anubis Strat-Talker

I hate the TS-9. Have owned two of them, modded both with better parts (10-15 point modifications). Even after all that work, they still sound, well, bleh.

+1 to all the Maxon OD808 suggestions. If you need the tubescreamer sound, the Maxon OD808 is the best pedal for that. Its a very nice pedal. You can find them used on ebay for about $100 a pop, give or take.

No need for mods on it, it's made the way it should be.

Though honestly, IMO the best dirt pedals are made by Barber Electronics and Fulltone. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Also +1 to Gearmanndude's Lutherdrive. Awesome pedal.

18. firesgt911

firesgt911 Strat-Talker

I've always liked th Maxon OD808 the best too! I don't have one anymore, but I just ordered a MI Audio Blues Pro. Seems like it could be interesting. I should get it tomorrow, so I will give a review asap.

19. adaptable

adaptable Strat-Talker

I think the effectiveness of a TS or any OD pedal depends one what you put it in front of. I have a TS9 and its great in front of my simple amps (Champion 600 & VOX AC4) by simply driving them a bit more, but a Fultone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet is a bit more versatile and its extra controls help my Mesa Boogie and Fender Blue Deluxe combined with their EQs and multiple channels....its like getting 6 or more channels from a 2 channel amp.

The TS is great to initially get more drive and a little color, but ultimately its a one trick pony, unless you start messing with the knobs midway through a performance (or have several of them). Don't get me wrong, what it does, it does well...

Try the TS, but make sure you try it in your setup with the ability to return it if it doesn't work out. There are a lot of pedals that do what the TS does and much more.

My next OD pedal with be this one: Ethos Overdrive Guitar Pedal

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010
  20. StratmanR2S

StratmanR2S Strat-Talk Member

Actually I don't use anything but tube amp distortion 99% of the time. Even for lead. My amp has 2 dirty channels. I do use a Digitec Hot Rod pedel set between FuzzFace and DS-1 for a deep heavy rythem sound on a few parts on some of my songs though.

But he was asking about Tube Screamers.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.