1. Enter to Win one of two Strats we are giving away! An American Pro II Strat HSS and a Squier Classic Vibe Strat. To see the prizes and rules: https://www.strat-talk.com/pages/2020_Fundraiser_giveaway/ To enter: https://www.strat-talk.com/account/upgrades To enter, simply upgrade to silver (1 entry), gold (2 entries), platinum (5 entries), or double platinum supporting membership (10 entries). November 5th is the last day to enter!

Identifying a custom shop strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by wallym, Apr 28, 2010.

1. wallym

wallym Strat-Talk Member

I'm new to the forum and could use some help. I saw a fender stratocaster today in a pawn shop. It said custom shop on the back of the headstock. The serial number is CN400018 which I have deternined as being made in 1994The color is a coral or flesh (not pink) sparkle with a pearl white pickguard. How do I find out more about this guitar. It's in very good condition and the price is $1,100. I could make an offer if I knew more about what I was buying. Thanks stratsters.

2. crawdaddy

crawdaddy Most Honored Senior Member

I think "CN" are Korean made Squiers, at least according to the Fender web site. I won't venture as to a price as we would need to know more about the guitar.

Good Luck

PS: Welcome Home

Last edited: Apr 29, 2010
  3. mahler

mahler Strat-O-Master

CN(XXXXXX)
    VN(XXXXXX) Korean-made Fender/Squier guitars (dating unclear)

I would say if your lucky this is a Korean strat with a custom shop neck, and even more likely, a fake (as in the custom shop logo was put on there).
    You can run it through fenders customer service to make sure.

I wouldn't make an offer on the basis of it being CS strat, if you like it good make an offer, but don't offer that much!

4. wallym

wallym Strat-Talk Member

Actually the CN means Custom nineties and the custom shop logo is on the back of the headstock. The guitar is not a Squier.

5. wallym

wallym Strat-Talk Member

Thanks crawdaddy. I just checked with customer service and the CN in front of 6 numbers is a Korean Squier. Prior to coming to the forum I read that CN meant Custom 90's. One needs to keep looking.

6. profdlt

profdlt Strat-Talker

Yet another scam with someone putting made in USA and custom shop decals on a Squier?

7. stratman323

stratman323 Dr. Stratster

CN serial numbers were used on Custom Shop guitars in the 90s - I had two (both now sold). These guitars were the predecessors of the current Time Machine range, which were introduced in 1999 & have serial numbers starting with R (I have a 1999 in Aztec Gold).

Here's the 1996 model. Notice the earlier type of Custom Shop decal, this also changed some time around 1999:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the 1994. This one came with it's certificate, so no real doubt about it being genuine. Not that I had any doubts anyway!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

You are all correct to be cautious though, there are an alarming number of guitars that carry the Custom Shop decal on them, but are in fact cheap fakes. What a shame Fender does such a pathetic job of identifying it's own product.

Mike

8. stratman323

Does it come with the certificate?

9. wallym

wallym Strat-Talk Member

Thanks stratman. I will need to check this guitar out more. Does a custom shop strat have any other numbers on the body or under the pickguard? I read that the CN designation meant custom shop "nineties and that the first number after that was the year. However, your 1996 CS guitar also has a 4 after the CN. Lots of confusing information out there. It looks pretty easy to make a fake if you have the right pieces.

10. Wideglide

Wideglide Senior Stratmaster

$1100 would be a good price for a CS. Even better if you can haggle them down some! :)

11. stratman323

It's worryingly easy to fake any Strat or Tele, that's the nature of the design. The availability of CS certificates & neckplates on eBay helps the fakers even more, & I don't understand why Fender doesn't block those auctions.

I don't have any internal pics of the 2 guitars above, but I remember that the red one had the CS stamp on the neck butt. Learn the difference between the older CS decal (above) and the newer one, & make sure that any guitar you look at has a decal appropriate to it's date of manufacture (which is on the neck butt).

The newer Time Machine series (R serial numbers) tend to have RELIC stamped on the neck butt & on the body too, whether they are relic, Closet Classic or NOS models.

[​IMG]

12. wallym

wallym Strat-Talk Member

It turns out that the guitar is a Custom Shop American Classic model number 010-4702 champagne color. It has 3 single coil texas specials and sounds great. Almost new condition. Check the thread "unknown custom shop strat" on the previous page. I have some pictures. Thanks for the input. There is a lot to know about this stuff and it helps to have all you guys out there. It's amazing how much info is available from the strat folks.

13. stratman323

Ah, the Custom Classics - they are the ones with the modern square tuners & a poly finish. I never saw the point of making a guitar as expensive as that & then finishing it in poly rather than nitro. On a guitar under £500 or so I expect poly - over £1000 & I expect nitro. But if you don't care about that (and many people don't) it doesn't matter.

You going to buy it?

14. wallym

wallym Strat-Talk Member

I bought it for $950 without a case . It plays and sounds great. I knew it was a CS when I picked it up. The sound and feel of a great strat is there even unlugged. It has 3 texas special single coils and I like that sound. I'm playing it through a Peavey Classic 20 amp and it loves the pups also. The action and sound on this axe are perfect.

Attached Files:

15. Giber Fendson

Giber Fendson Strat-Talk Member

Model Name: American Classic Stratocaster® (Nickel Hardware)

Model Number: 010-4700-(Color#) and 010-4702-(Color#)

Series: Custom Shop "Custom Classics" Series

Body: Alder (Ash with (801) Finish)

Neck: Lightly Figured Hard Rock Maple

Fingerboard: Rosewood pn# (010-4700) or Maple pn# (010-4702), (9.5” Radius/241 mm)

No. of Frets: 22

Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)

Width @ Nut: 1.6875” (43 mm)

Hardware: Chrome

Machine Heads: Fender American Standard (Cast/Sealed)

Bridge: American Standard

Pickguard: Tortoise Shell on (800) and (801),... White Pearloid on (803)

Pickups: Set of 3 Texas SpecialTM Single Coils

Pickup Switching: 5 Position Blade

Controls: Master Volume, Tone (Neck), Tone (Mid)

Colors: (800) 3-Color Sunburst with brown shell pickguard, Rosewood fretboard only,

(801)* White Blonde with brown shell pickguard *add $150.00 (available in Maple or Rosewood fretboard),

(803) 2-Color Sunburst with white shell pickguard, Maple fretboard only.

(Catalyzed Urethane finish)

Strings: Fender Super Bullet 3250L’s (.009 to .042) Nickel Plated Steel pn#073-3250-003

Unique Features:

Source: U.S. Fender Custom Shop

Accessories: Black Tolex Case, Strap, Cable

U.S. MSRP: $1,749.99

Specs: Prices and Specifications Subject to Change Without Notice

INTRODUCED: 1/1995

DISCONTINUED: 7/1999

DISCONTINUED COLORS: (805) Olympic White with brown shell pickguard, (1/98)

(816) Champagne Sparkle with white shell pickguard, (6/97)

(865) Black Haloflake with white shell pickguard, (6/97)

(895) Starlite Blue with white shell pickguard, (6/97)

COMMENTS:

WRENCH SIZES: Truss Rod Wrench #023811 (1/8” Hex)

Saddle Height Adjustment Wrench #018531 (.050 Hex)