Join Strat-Talk Today

If I want a little LESS tension on my guitar

Discussion in 'Tech-Talk' started by tschucha, Jul 1, 2018.

1. jvin248

jvin248 Senior Stratmaster

Mustang or Jaguar or a short scale guitar with thin strings will be very slinky. A Fender with 9s and a Les Paul with 10s are approximately the same tension.

Top wrap a Les Paul stop bar.

Billy Gibbons is famous for 7s and 8s on his guitars (I think 7s on Fender, 8s on Gibson).
    BB King used 8s on his Gibson guitars.

Do realize that you need to fret lighter so you don't crush the strings out of tune when playing.

2. Uncle Fiesta

Uncle Fiesta Senior Stratmaster

Practise on an acoustic then you fingers will be stronger when you come back to an electric.

(Advice that was given to me over 40 years ago by, of all people, a keyboard player.)

nickmsmith likes this.
  3. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

@tschucha seriously you should try a Squier VM jaguar. Low tension, and the pickups sound absolutely great.

AND the bridge pickup sounds better than any Strat bridge pickup I've ever played. And I've played quite a few.

Changed my life, guitar-wise. I also like the whammy bar system a lot better, but that's just a matter of opinion, and I never ever got along with Strat trems.

They basically replaced my strats, for the most part.

I have a MIM Player Jaguar, and it is on the bench, in favor of the Squiers.

4. RegularJim

RegularJim Strat-Talker

I've heard that you can reduce the break angle of the strings and that loosens things up.

I believe if you shim the neck at the top of the neck pocket you can lower the saddles a hair, which will take a little off the break angle at the saddles.
    At the head stock end, you can wind your strings up the shaft of the tuner, to reduce the angle at the nut. Additionally, if you can check your string trees, and if they are the style that are asymmetrical, you can turn them around so that they contact the strings further from the nut (does that make sense?).

5. guitarman1984

guitarman1984 Senior Stratmaster

This.

PCollen likes this.
  6. owenmoney

owenmoney Strat-O-Master

Raise the action a little, it makes bending easier ! You can get under the string with more finger meat, gives you more to push with .

DougO and Triple Jim like this.
  7. heltershelton

heltershelton BANNED Strat-Talk Supporter

you could always just quit, like most people do.
    it takes years and tears.

Bob the builder and Thrup'ny Bit like this.
  8. qblue

qblue Senior Stratmaster

I'm having more tension just trying to figure whatever you are talking about.

9. omahaaudio

omahaaudio Senior Stratmaster

Triple Jim likes this.
  10. BallisticSquid

BallisticSquid Senior Stratmaster

A smaller scale guitar, like a Les Paul, will have less string tension...assuming the same string gauge as you have on your strat (assuming we are talking a strat).

11. groaner

groaner Strat-Talker

get a set of .007.s

12. Wayne

Wayne Strat-Talker

i agree. why suffer?

Ditch the D'addarios and get Ernie Ball 9-46 pure nickel hybrid slinky.
    Float the bridge the way it says you can do in the fender guide. You want it to rise half a note when you pull back on it.

At least that's what I did and it took a near-painful experience and made it smooth and nice.

alderre likes this.
  13. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Absolutely true. Well, assuming string diameter is proportional to its weight, which is not 100% accurate when comparing wound and plain strings.

But! If you lower the action, you don't have to move the string quite as far to get to the fret, so it feels like less tension. Also, if you lower the break angle far enough, when you bend you're stretching the whole string, not just the string between the nut and saddle--so it feels looser. If the bridge is floating, when you bend a note the bridge moves so it feels looser. Also, changes in the Action often necessitate changes in the string length (the intonation) so you're still in tune at the 12th fret. Those changes can make a noticeable difference in string tension, too.

14. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

The best trick isnt changing strings or adjusting the neck.

Best trick is either tightening or loosening the trem claw.

This fine tunes your tension like nothing else. Everything else discussed so far IMO is just mumbo jumbo. Its all in the trem claw when it comes to tension on strings and why its important to have a floating bridge. I mean adjusting the neck can do so much and thw finer tuning is in the trem claw for tension IMO.

Trem Claw!

15. DougO

DougO Strat-Talk Member

This right here. It's something I discovered recently. I typically would try to get my action as low as possible. Raising it just a tiny bit makes bending a bit easier.

16. heltershelton

you guys better pay attention to the kid. he knows everything about everything and anything else anyone says is mumbo jumbo.:sneaky:

The-Kid, ukoldgit and trapdoor2 like this.
  17. ukoldgit

ukoldgit Most Honored Senior Member

This normally works:whistling:
    smoking3.jpg

18. The-Kid

The-Kid Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

well Im happy with my tension on my strings because of the adjustment on the trem claw. And ive had this issue before, went to 7 different strings brands......The only thing that worked was adjusting the claw.

Changing strings and what knot, thats basic. String tension is in the float and how tight or loose the claw is, this also affects action as it lowers or brings up the bridge which will affect tension of the strings.

19. heltershelton

ukoldgit likes this.
  20. heltershelton

im gonna agree AND disagree. some people like to deck their trems, and the only solution then is either changing the action or selecting a set of strings with less tension. or the other two things posted above.

The-Kid likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.