Join Strat-Talk Today

If we all get checks for $1200 is the site going to be filled with NGD

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Mar 25, 2020.

1. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-Talker

Sorry I misunderstood.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Guy Named Sue

Guy Named Sue All roads lead to P90 Strat-Talk Supporter

What? I'm going to get a check for 1200€???? I'm speechless I don't know what I would do

nadzab, amstratnut and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Fortunately the Dr thinks I just have a "normal" virus that's also going around so no 14 day quarantine. My work won't let me come back until I'm symptom free for 48 hrs though so it looks like I'm off until next Thursday.

4. thomquietwolf

thomquietwolf Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Paperback Rocker, 3bolt79 and apm1991 like this.
  5. rlongnt

rlongnt Strat-O-Master

If I get one at all I'm guessing they'll just apply it to my tab. Ugh!

3bolt79 and apm1991 like this.
  6. 33db

33db Senior Stratmaster

If you aren't hurting through this fiasco, you could always donate the check to someone who is, or an operation to help out.

7. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Bingo. My wife and I are fortunate enough to be able to continue working during all this and certainly don't need any stimulus money to get by. The best thing I can do is use any money coming my way for goods and services which will in effect be helping someone else out.

nadzab, duzie, 3bolt79 and 3 others like this.
  8. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    Whatever virus I have will surely be helped out by some sunshine and my wife’s homemade chicken soup.

625C9794-3A0F-4132-979A-28E90D23B7E4.jpeg

nadzab, CB91710, 3bolt79 and 5 others like this.
  9. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

If you aren't hurting through this fiasco, you could always donate the check to someone who is, or an operation to help out.[/QUOTE]

I'll definitely be helping my 56 yr old mom at the least... she's been disabled in a wheelchair for a few years now with no source of income besides the very little she gets from disability. I'm nervous to see her at this time though because of her previous medical issues (kidney failure, cirrhosis of the liver, VRE, CDiff, etc) I would hate to be carrying a virus and give it to her, her immune system isn't great. But we talk on the phone basically everyday.

The other day I gave Connor (this kid in my neighborhood I gave a guitar and have been teaching) an Xbox 360 with 15 games and a bunch of controllers. If his mom needs help with groceries I'll also offer to help them as well.

I'm extremely fortunate to live in the ghetto and not have kids so my bills are cheap.. And even though I have no college degree and don't have a great job. I live way below my means and save money every single pay check. I also don't have college debt which in nice.

duzie, CB91710, tery and 4 others like this.
  10. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

The cost of this bill, 2 trillion, divided by the population of the USA (approx. 327 million) works out to roughly $6000 per person. So even with the best spin that can be put on it, a $1200 check that costs around $6000 is never a good deal.

11. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

That is not remotely how the funds will be dispersed.

Ruscio, CB91710, CigBurn and 3 others like this.
  12. Reno

Reno New Member!

Exactly.

This money is meant to “stimulate” the economy, good or bad, that is what it is intended for. Money for daily living expenses (in the US) is called “unemployment benefits” or “disability” or savings. I know not all of us are able to save money for a so called rainy day, but those that can, and have, should not be looked down on for “stimulating” the economy by buying stuff, ie guitars, guns, phones, blow up dolls, etc etc. If people are made to feel bad for doing this now, we should feel bad always.

If you get a “stimulus” from the government, I hope you do something with it that makes you happy. Save it, spend it, donate it, as long as you feel good when it’s all said and done.

The question was hijacked by the morally right and righteous so that we all may feel guilty.

As for me, I’ll spend it in a way that helps out my family and save the unemployment benefits, if need be, for my daily living expenses.

13. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

Once this clusterf*ck is over, we'll all have to start consuming again as best we can. Putting money back into circulation on all levels and in all businesses is what will make the financial wheels spin again.

14. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

Not everyone is eligible for unemployment.

In terms of stimulating the economy, the purchase of a new guitar doesn’t stimulate the guys that work at my barber shop who’ve had nothing in the way of customers and tips in a while. It doesn’t stimulate the restaurants we’ve stopped going to, etc.

CB91710, Cerb and apm1991 like this.
  15. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I'm not feeling very morally right and righteous, never did much. However it was my impression that the money being sent to families is to help them survive through a period without paychecks.
    Increasing the national debt so one can buy a guitar one could not afford to buy before the crisis might be the right thing to do in the long run, just somehow doesn't seem that way... But I've been wrong many times before, so party on.

16. apm1991

apm1991 Senior Stratmaster

I maybe mistaken but I thought it was a 'stimulus'.. to help the economy grow. So if I were to put it under my bed for safe keeping it would not help the economy. If I buy a guitar (or anything) from a local shop would it not be helping the owner and employees of that shop. And that owner and employees might have family as well. So anyone spending money in America is going to help 'stimulate' the economy. Or am I completely wrong?

And in my case, I was going to buy myself a guitar for my birthday regardless.

Bob the builder, CB91710 and Reno like this.
  17. Cerb

Cerb Anti conformist reformist Strat-Talk Supporter

It doesn't but it wil help keeping the people at you local guitar store employed, the delivery guy, the worker at the factory building guitars. If they have jobs they will spend money in restaurants and at barber shops, even if they aren't your local ones. All money that is put back into circulation will help stimulate the economy.

18. oatsoda

oatsoda Puck of Paradox Strat-Talk Supporter

Maybe use it to offset the losses in my retirement account, (sad frowny face with lower lip stuck out).

3bolt79, sam_in_cali and guitarface like this.
  19. guitarface

some areas have been hit harder than others. Some businesses depend on regular purchases, like your local coffee shop. So while buying a guitar will stimulate the guitar store owner and everyone he in turn supports, he may not have been impacted the same way in the first instance.

20. guitarface

All true.

3bolt79, apm1991 and Cerb like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.