Join Strat-Talk Today

If we all get checks for $1200 is the site going to be filled with NGD

Discussion in 'Sidewinders Bar & Grille' started by apm1991, Mar 25, 2020.

1. bluejazzoid

bluejazzoid Strats Amore Strat-Talk Supporter

Well, I didn't say (or imply) that was how the funds would be dispersed, I was simply pointing out the cost per American of the total bill.

3bolt79 likes this.
  2. Paperback Rocker

Paperback Rocker Let's Boogie Strat-Talk Supporter

Blame your state income taxes.

Chont, CB91710 and 3bolt79 like this.
  3. amstratnut

amstratnut Peace thru Music. Strat-Talk Supporter

Will likely pay a portion of our taxes with it.

3bolt79 and apm1991 like this.
  4. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

Again, that's not how it works. The gov is not just printing up $2T and handing it out to everyone. A large portion of that is meant to be loans to keep businesses afloat and will have to be paid back at some point.

3bolt79 and guitarface like this.
  5. bluejazzoid

I understand that. Ultimately, most businesses that pay their share back will pass those costs back onto consumers, their employees, somebody else.

3bolt79 likes this.
  6. Tcon

Tcon Strat-Talker

mine will be going to my son who lost his job, to help support my 2 grand children one of which I have not got to hold yet. My Granddaughter just turned 1 month old and they live 7 1/2 hours away. I have only seen pics and facetime vids of her. :(

3bolt79, tery, sam_in_cali and 3 others like this.
  7. sam_in_cali

sam_in_cali Scream for me Strat-Talk! Strat-Talk Supporter

You are one of those glass is half-empty-types, huh? A lot of people will benefit from any assistance given to them, whether directly or indirectly. If you are in a position to not need or want assistance, consider yourself fortunate and pass it on to someone who can benefit from it.

Chont, 3bolt79, CigBurn and 1 other person like this.
  8. 57Strat777

57Strat777 Strat-Talker

I think only about $400 billion is going to checks citizens will receive. The rest of the money covers a magnitude of other things from paying fired employees 100% of their salary for up to four months and loans to businesses that never have to be paid back as long as the business doesn't fire employees, other loans have to be paid back I think, plus lots of other things to help businesses to survive. There is also a TON of pork in the bill, but I won't get into that due to site rules.

9. bluejazzoid

You're assuming a lot, at least about me.
    Again, I understand (as best as can be deciphered by what we've been told) how it's going to be apportioned. And I fully believe we need stimulus bill -- I'm not arguing against it at all. I just was making the point that it WILL cost everyone something down the road, mainly as a counter-point to this thread's premise that it will be NGD time for many.

3bolt79 and 57Strat777 like this.
  10. StratMike10

StratMike10 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

I can't answer that, but my understanding is the purpose of the checks is to get cash into the hands of Americans to help them weather the coronavirus crisis.

I just don't associate weathering a crisis with doing something fun with the money. If you are out of a job and don't have money, you'll be getting a check so you can cover rent, meds, and food. But if you're not out of a job and still have money coming in, why would you need a check from the government to help you weather the coronavirus?

The idea of getting a "loan" during a time of economic collapse so you can help put the breaks to the collapse by buying stuff, would almost make sense during a regular recession, but times when pandemics force businesses to close doors and send employees home might not be the best time to borrow money to buy fun stuff. If you buy a guitar you're only turning existing inventory into cash, you're not stimulating the economy because the guitar factories are closed and will not be putting new guitars into the store until the pandemic ends.

I just see the present as a time of emergency, the economy cannot be rescued with the purchase of fun stuff because manufacturing and production are at a deliberate standstill. The money should be used for the sectors of the economy which are not at a standstill, which is essential services, those are the sectors where people are still working and making a paycheck. That is where the money needs to go, so those services can continue to be sustained.

Just my 2 cents.

guitarface likes this.
  11. crazyrachey96

crazyrachey96 Strat-O-Master

I hear what you're saying, and I get it. I'm a paramedic, and even when I'm not at work I'm still on my hometown volunteer ambulance service. My boyfriend is an EMT and the director of said volunteer service. My sister serves on it. So my whole family is living the emergency every day, and I'm playing an active role whether I'm at work or not... nobody takes it more seriously than I do. And my heart truly does go out to those who aren't as fortunate as we are; we are at zero risk for losing our home or going without food, and I sure as hell am not likely to lose my job! All the same... all this hand-wringing over whether the stimulus is appropriate or not, whether it will be misused or not, whether people who don't need the money have the right to buy niceties with it... it feels a little over-wrought to me. Compared to the larger picture, it honestly seems like a bit of a nothingburger. The people who need it will probably be getting help, either from the government or from family or whatever. I just cut my sister a check for $1000 and told her to forget where it came from, and it'll be more if she needs it. I'm sure plenty of others who can afford to do so are doing the same. The important thing to remember is that this will sort itself out. In the meantime, is it wrong of us to blue-sky about the fun toys we'd like to buy if extra cash gets thrown our way?

duzie, StratMike10, tery and 6 others like this.
  12. Nadnitram

Nadnitram Senior Stratmaster

I definitely wouldn't buy a bidet with a cutting edge. That sounds dangerous.

13. guitarface

guitarface Most Honored Senior Member

look, I know you’re convinced of your point, but you seem kinda tone deaf.

Cash might get thrown your way with which you might be able to buy fun toys because people are suffering.

StratMike10 and abnormaltoy like this.
  14. crazyrachey96

I get that, and it sucks. But... how can I phrase this... I can't bleed for everybody, you know? I have a few dozen people a week in front of me that need my help... sometimes urgently... and I have my own immediate community and family that the pandemic is affecting in various ways, that also sometimes needs my help. Everything else gets compartmentalized... I have to do that, or I can't function. What can't be compartmentalized, gets made light of. In the crew quarters area of the ambulance station where I work, we have a bulletin board devoted entirely to funny COVID memes and cartoons...

15. Lonn

Lonn Mod Admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Admin Post
    it seems to me you’re only seeing one side of that though. Yes the people that lost wages/jobs need it to make ends meet, but the business owners that had to do those layoffs and firings will also need our stimulus money to get back up and running at full speed as fast as possible. Let me also say this, even if you don’t get any of the stimulus money please go out and support businesses as you did before. I’m not an economist but I know that we have to try and get some normalcy back.

16. dirocyn

dirocyn Senior Stratmaster

Nope, Tennessee doesn't have state income taxes. Nice try though.

tery and 3bolt79 like this.
  17. Hugh

Hugh Got Punch ? Strat-Talk Supporter

Yep, sun = vitamin D

3bolt79 likes this.
  18. Hugh

Hugh Got Punch ? Strat-Talk Supporter

Just heard on the radio that these individual payments are not taxable. I didn't catch the name, but it was a senator who said it.

19. crazyrachey96

There... you said it. NORMALCY. I work in a building that is presently locked down like a nuclear missile silo, and when leaving said building to do my actual job I'm suiting up like Space Lady if there's even a hint that the patient is having respiratory issues. Procedures have changed, people have quit, I've been saddled with extra responsibilities, and my students aren't allowed to ride with me right now. Even at home, I'm still there! My hometown volunteer service is part-time ALS, which essentially means that it upgrades to ALS when I am home and available to take calls as I am the only medic on the squad... so if the dispatch sounds serious, I feel obligated to go whether I'm on call or not. My BF is the director of that service, and due to a serious personnel shortage that existed before the crisis began is doing about 300 hours a month on call on top of his administrative duties as director. Add to all that the fact that we both live with the reality that there is zero chance we will not both be exposed at some point... and his kids live with us. Believe me, I need every bit of normalcy I can get. So does everyone else. If buying the gear I was planning to get before the end of this summer anyway and practicing as if I had a show tomorrow helps me feel normal, than that's what I'm going to do.

20. Mansonienne

Mansonienne Mod admin Staff Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Me neither

strat_strummer, tery and 3bolt79 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.