If you have more than one amp...why?

politicalamity6

New Member!
Aug 1, 2011
Oklahoma
That's an easy one. As I started to play with more bands I realized I'd be hauling equipment to rehearsal and then back again, as well as to the gigs. So to avoid that crap, I got a second amp. Then along came band #2, so same deal. Pretty soon, I ended up with 4 amps. Two for practice spaces, one for gigs, and another as a backup to any of the other three.

Rutiger

Strat-Talk Member
Feb 14, 2021
Regina
I have 4 combo amps two of whom are ALWAYS played simultaneously through my ABY pedal. Which opens the door to infinitely more tone combinations. I'm not always sure that's a good thing but it IS a lot of delightful tone chasing!

dspellman

Senior Stratmaster
Mar 24, 2013
Los Angeles
In my case, it's simply accumulation over a long period. 15 tube amps, several solid state variants, and several stereo power amps. Some have simply become "vintage" due to the passage of time.

GrooveVoyager

New Member!
Apr 14, 2022
I
I've seen posts here about "Show us your amps." There are a lot of really great amps in those photos.
But I'm curious: Why do you have more than one amp?
Is it tone chasing?
Amp addiction?
Just having lots of switches and knobs and buttons to play with?
Why so many? And, yes, add pix if you can!
I always liked the idea of playing in stereo, as many of my effects run out stereo so 2 amps seems logical.
When covid first hit I pulled all of my gear out and hooked it up to avoid the insanity of lockdown.
I ended up with 2 solid state amps running out of a output B of a Radial splitter and an Orange Microdark running out of input A. It's a sort of wet/dry/wet hybrid setup.
I like groove music so my Morley Volume/Wah is the beginning of the effx chain
The B's amps are set in stereo and are effected by pedals and an older digitech floor processor.
The A amp is effected with some of the same pedals of the B amp and a cheap reverb/delay by Soniccake and an almost always on Digitech RP255 for spring rev, and occasional fuzz, env filter, OD, or what ever strange effects can be had.
One of my fav settings is playing rhythm though the Orange and hitting the 2 SS amps with wah.
Lately, I'm mostly playing smooth jazz, Bossa, and 70's soul.
Lot's of tone combos to be had with a stereo or w/d/w setup and I don't think I've even cracked the surface.

Attachments

• Guitar Gear.jpg
    Guitar Gear.jpg
    140.8 KB · Views: 5

dasherf17

Strat-Talker
Nov 1, 2021
25 miles SE of Rogers Mn
I've seen posts here about "Show us your amps." There are a lot of really great amps in those photos.
Is it tone chasing?
Amp addiction?

Like with many guitars, each one has its own voice...mix and match...

Old Printer

New Member!
Aug 21, 2018
Florida
In 1972 I bought my first electric, a Tele Deluxe, and a Vibrolux Reverb to go with it. Within 6 months the amp needed something fixed under warranty and the dealer told me the repair shop was notoriously slow. They had a bunch of new Vibro Champs so I picked one up for $75, not a trivial sum of money for me at that time. Fast forward 50 years, **** :(, I still have them both. Guess which one gets played? Wish #1 - wish I had brought a six pack of the Champs. #2 - wish I had bought a Princeton or a Deluxe instead of the Vibrolux. #3 - wish I had bought a Strat instead of the Tele Deluxe, or even a standard Tele. Never really loved the Tele Deluxe, but for some reason kept it. Maybe in the next life :)

Vermoulian

Strat-Talker
Platinum Supporting Member
Oct 27, 2011
Chicago
I think it's generally a combination of three factors:

1. FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out). Gee, everybody plays these so they must have something going on---I should get one. (I need a tweed Fender! I need a Vox!) Or, this new amp is the greatest thing since sliced bread and I clearly need one. (I need at Katana!)

2. 'Maybe someday I'll need an amp that does X . . . ." Sure, I don't play metal and probably never will but I'm going to get this Marshall (or whatever) just because, just in case.

3. "It was such a great deal I couldn't pass it up!" Sure, I didn't need yet another silverface Fender but come on!

For some people, you can add in a bit of collector mentality. And you can never discount the desire of an aging rocker to own the gear he lusted after in his youth, even if he's got something objectively better now. (Yes, I did go back and buy an early-80s Peavey Classic VTX that I thought was the coolest thing ever in junior high but could not afford.)

Kenru

New Member!
Mar 15, 2019
Long Island
Each has a purpose, in my music room an Orange crush 100 on 2-12 and Blackstar Id40 on 2-12 cabinet so my buds don’t have to lug an amp over to practice, An orange tiny terror with 2-10 cabinet in my den when I want to play some guitar. and a Roland cube street ex when I need to bring an amp over a friends or should I ever get the urge to busker

ashtone

Strat-Talk Member
Jun 15, 2014
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Is it tone chasing? Yes; chasing but not catching…
Amp addiction? No.
Just having lots of switches and knobs and buttons to play with? No.
Why so many? Turns out they’re easier to buy than to sell.

GeejeeZ

Strat-Talk Member
Oct 10, 2018
Netherlands
When I was a young guy I was perfectly fine with just one guitar and one amp. When I played on a friends guitar ore used someone else's amp (f.i Marshall instead of my Twin Reverb) I could hardly tell the difference...
A lot has happened in the 30+ years since then: although years of band playing (and visiting concerts ofcourse) made me a little (ok, the wife says: very) deaf, at the same time I developed the ability to distinguish between sounds. I can now tell the difference in sound between a Fender Strat and a Tele. Same goes for the amps: just my Fender Twin Reverb is not enough anymore. When I record a guitar part of one of my own songs, I suddenly might get the idea: no, this would sound better on a Marshall, or: this part definitely needs that typical Vox sound.

rzzzy1

Strat-Talk Member
Aug 3, 2020
Canberra Australia
Is it tone chasing?
Amp addiction?
Weight and convenience. Playing rock live? - thats my Boogie express (25kg), unless the venue has stairs, then its my Katana mkii Artist (19 kg). Need to travel light? Boss Nextone (12kg). All sound great, though the Boogie has the edge.

ettepostkonto

New Member!
Aug 30, 2013
Sweden
I have too many amps. I don't gig anymore so I'm thinking I'll profile them with my Kemper and then start selling them off.

In order of which I like most:
1. Fender Deluxe Reverb Reissue
2. Princeton Reverb clone
3. Vox AC15H1TV
4. Ceriatone Deluxe 5E3 clone
5. Tone King Falcon
6. Gibson Goldtone GA-15RV
7. Vox VT15
8. Fender Greta

I've got a ton of different speakers too that I'll run all of them through when I profile them. But after that I'm thinking its time to let at least 4 or 5 of them go, 'cause it kind of hurts seeing them not getting played.

I've owned a bunch of Marshalls too (including a Silver Jubilee head and a nice 1974X) - but realized that I'm more at home with a blackface type amp or even a Vox.

They're all different though - and have made my life a little richer. And - just maybe - they've even made me a better musician?

grantinvanman41

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 18, 2022
Canada eh
I have two small amps, neither of which I particularly like. A Marshall MG15, and a Vox small tube that’s about the same size - it sits on top of the Marshall. “Stack”?

The Marshall is worth $30. Maybe. The Vox I bought used for $350.

The Vox is far too small to play clean, it breaks up far too soon.

So sometime around Christmas I will be getting a new, proper amp. I’m looking at a beautiful hand-wired made in the UK linen coloured Vox with a Celestion, that will be big enough to breathe. Or maybe a Fender, there’s lot of good re-issues coming out now.

Joolstacho

Strat-Talk Member
Apr 10, 2016
Greendale Vic Australia
I'm interested in your feelings about the Bugera. I recently jammed with a feller who was using one and was very impressed with the sound.
I used to have one of those 'Acoustic Research' amps. superb thing... why did I sell it!
My Laney A1 is pretty damn good at what it does (which is a lot), but I sort of miss the grunt of a small tube amp like the Bugera sometimes.
Any thoughts? any other options I could look at for a small grunty valve combo? (Needs to be inexpensive).