If you were buying your first Strat, which Strat would you buy?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by CalicoSkies, Jun 6, 2018.

1. CalicoSkies

CalicoSkies Most Honored Senior Member Gold Supporting Member

I already have a couple Strats I like, but I've sometimes wondered this question, particularly as someone who likes to mod guitars. Over the years I've gotten to know more of what I like in a Strat, and a few years ago I ended up building a partscaster (well, I ordered the parts and had a tech assemble it for me) with all the specs I wanted. So it got me wondering, is there a stock Fender Strat I'd buy today if I were buying my first Strat?

Knowing what I know about Strats, if I didn't currently have a Strat, I might buy one of Fender's Deluxe Strats (the new MIM version that they started offering a couple years ago), in the transparent sapphire blue color:
    https://shop.fender.com/en-US/electric-guitars/stratocaster/deluxe-strat/0147102307.html
    [​IMG]
    I like the blue color (and that's the only Strat I've seen Fender offer it on, aside from the older Deluxe Player's Strat that this model replaced), 7-way pickup switching, locking tuners, and I like having noiseless single coils. However, I'd probably want to replace the pickups,I prefer some other-branded noiseless pickups better (Kinman, Zexcoil, Lace). Other than that, I think it's a good overall guitar. I'd probably like it better if it had the regular sized headstock, but the large headstock isn't a deal breaker.

Edit - Then again, G&L has some nice Strat-style guitars too. Their Tribute series seems like a particularly good value.

skypeace, circles and Mr Sneaky like this.
  2. Namelyguitar

Namelyguitar Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

That's an easy one to answer. A pre-owned American Series Stratocaster from that time when the USA Standard model was effectively replaced by them.

3. arcticstrat

arcticstrat Senior Stratmaster

If you're talking modern make, and knowing what I know now, it would be a pre '17 MIA Standard w/fat 50s. The Robert Cray sig and '60s Player are a close 2 and 3 (not in any particular order).

My first strat was a sunburst, not sure what color name, but I remember it being black with dark red center. Can't even tell you where it was made, it was almost 30 years ago, and that stuff didn't seem to matter. It did say Fender though :D.

Wish I still had it.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2018
    CalicoSkies likes this.
  4. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Dr. Stratster

Classic series 50s strat in your favorite color. The first and last one you would ever need, if the GAS sickness doesn't overtake you.

dante1963, 64 Tele and chicago slim like this.
  5. ido1957

ido1957 Senior Stratmaster

Elite

semka, rysuley and Strebs like this.
  6. Bowmap

Bowmap I nose a thang or two. Platinum Supporting Member

skypeace and CalicoSkies like this.
  7. bgmacaw

bgmacaw Strat-O-Master

Assuming I'd spend as much as I did for my first Strat that would come in at about $1800 to $2000 in inflation adjusted numbers. That opens up a lot of possible choices. However, I'd probably go for a Cray Strat.

8. tealsixtysix

tealsixtysix Senior Stratmaster

A used American Standard made after the Fat 50s pickups became standard.

arcticstrat, Sarnodude and AxemanVR like this.
  9. AngelDeVille

AngelDeVille Senior Stratmaster

Charvel San Dimas.

Versatile pickups, and a non heinous tremolo

[​IMG]

10. Dadocaster

Dadocaster Dr. Stratster

I have shelter cats, because I believe in them. I have shelter strats for trhe same reason. Poor sad necks, bodies, pickguards crying in the ads need love too. Need to be made whole.

11. Electgumbo

Electgumbo Not Of This Earth

We get a budget for this or we get to spend whatever we want?

RJ Squirrel likes this.
  12. AxemanVR

AxemanVR I appreciate, therefore I am... Silver Member

`
    If it were my "first" Strat, I'd go for an American Fender with Fat 50's as well. I also like the stamped saddles and vintage colored plastic parts on these too, so that would obviously exclude the models prior to having these features.

Here's my 2012 American Standard Stratocaster, which is excellent:

Screen Shot 2018-06-06 at 7.25.24 PM.png

Otherwise a vintage reissue with a nitro finish would be my 2nd choice...

`

arcticstrat likes this.
  13. LOSTVENTURE

LOSTVENTURE Senior Stratmaster

I'm going to agree with AxemanVr. The Standard is a great place to start. Second choice would be an AVRI65.

AxemanVR likes this.
  14. 64 Tele

64 Tele Strat-O-Master

Classic Series 50's or 60's (depending on your preference of maple or rosewood/now Pau Ferro fingerboard).
    I've owned 4 Strats (first was a 1983 '57 RI) and the Classic Series are a home run.

Attached Files:

15. errikwong

errikwong Strat-O-Master

Probably whichever strat has the biggest, fattest neck. My dream would be for Fender to release a American Original 60s strat in 3TS but with a nocaster baseball neck profile. That said, the Warmoth/MJT partscaster I built already ticks all boxes.

arcticstrat, Kdawg1966 and simoncroft like this.
  16. knh555

knh555 Most Honored Senior Member

First Strat? Probably a Classic Player 50s or 60s, depending on my mood at the time and the specific example I got my hands on. Great guitars, great value, and vintage specs and I'm really liking my AV Strats.

Or a used Plus from the 90s. But that's b/c I already know I like those. Yeah. They're pretty different, but so what. ;)

The-Kid, Elvie and arcticstrat like this.
  17. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Silver Member

I'm not really a tech, spec guy so as long as it was in good shape, sounded and felt right to me and was in my price range I'm good

18. Triple Jim

Triple Jim Guy Who Likes to Play Guitar Silver Member

I'd probably get a Squier Bullet Strat, with the hope it would make me play like Jack Pearson.

Grux and brians like this.
  19. Bob the builder

Bob the builder Most Honored Senior Member

You know already you want to change pups. What else? If your modding all the electronics too just get the bare bones mim with the neck you like and have at it. That's alot of money saved to put for the mods.

20. simoncroft

simoncroft Still playing. Still learning! Silver Member

That's the neck profile I find most playable. I'm also OK with the 'big boat' profile. Anything slimmer than that is no real use to me. Assuming I was a rich first Strat buyer, an EC signature would probably do me, or an early Jeff Beck, which I believe had particularly 'clubby' necks.

Otherwise, I'd probably buy any affordable Strat and start swapping out the bits I didn't really like.

CalicoSkies likes this.