Join Strat-Talk Today

If you were to buy a Strat neck...

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by WineCaster, Oct 14, 2015.

1. WineCaster

WineCaster Strat-O-Master

Would it HAVE to have tuners and pre-cut nut to earn your interest or intent to purchase? Does the idea of acquiring these items and most likely installing them yourself turn you off to the idea of purchasing a custom finished neck in the $300-400 price range?

2. ChefBlue

ChefBlue Senior Stratmaster

If I were to buy a "custom" neck that was shaped and finished to my exact spec, I would not have a problem w/ installing my own tuners and nut. But, understand, I'm a wanna be luthier and a fairly good amateur tech.

3. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh needs you to go ahead and come in on Sunday, too. Strat-Talk Supporter

For that money, I would expect the hardware to come with it.

4. Highwaystrat

Highwaystrat Senior Stratmaster

If its a brand new neck from a very good comoany like fender, that can be an alright price, or either a little too pricey or actually a decent price. $500 can get you a killer neck but it might not come with tuners and already dialed in nut, string trees, but it might be a decent value, and one of the best necks youll ever play and keep.

I ended up putting split shaft tuners on mine, graphtec strung trees that I adjusted the height, and nut cut ti my unique gauge of strings.

Ifit fits your hands nicely, it might very well be worth buying tuners and going over the nut with. Ive had very good experiences with necks that suit me well.

Id say go for it if you've played the neck before and know it's right for you.

Cuz nothing beats a killer neck!

You also want the tuners You want, the nut cut to suit Your needs, and you get your choice of string trees, most of the time they arent even drilled yet.

Preference, unmodified so you can have it to Your specs, and you can put the tuners on it that you like. Locking, split shaft, japanese gotohs, grover, japanese split shaft, adjustable post,self locking, self trimming, custom ratio, color, material, its your choice.

5. Hammer 4

Hammer 4 Senior Stratmaster

Well, yeah, but, depending on the neck. Tuners aren't a big deal, as long as the neck is drilled for them..I would prefer a bone nut in that price range though..

I would never pay that much for a neck anyway..:D I should say, I wouldn't pay 400.00, 300.00, maybe.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2015
  6. StratLuv

StratLuv Strat-Talker

Ive paid in the $300 range for a relic AllParts tele neck complete w/ cut nut and tuners - i paid this much for its profile and neck depth, which is more important then anything else.

7. BlueCajun

BlueCajun Senior Stratmaster

+1. I don't have a problem installing tuners or a nut. But I wouldn't pay $300-400 for a neck that didn't already come with hardware.

8. Vindibona1

Vindibona1 Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Yeah... good hardware and a professionally fit, probably bone nut.

9. jaybones

jaybones Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

I'd want the nut properly finished and installed for that price, as well as the tuner holes drilled. Don't have a problem installing my own tuners, but at that price range it should coe with everything I want.

10. WineCaster

What about the headstock? Would you need a decal on there? Fender? Other?

11. KCStratman

KCStratman Senior Stratmaster

Fender replacement necks, aftermarket necks, and custom necks do not normally come with tuners included, so that is a moot point. In general price, an unfinished aftermarket neck with nut and frets installed but needing frets leveled and crowned and dressed run from around $175 in plain maple to $400 for exotic woods. Finish services add $100 - $150. So, a mid-priced custom aftermarket neck might run $250 plus $100 finish plus $50 for tuners so that is right in the ballpark of $350 - 400 total for a high quality professionally finished neck. That is typical cost for the two or three most popular aftermarket brands, if you are on a limited budget you can get a very plain unfinished maple neck, wipe on acrylic or oil finish and have a decent replacement neck for around $200. A "nice" custom grade neck will run $300 - 350 unfinished with frets and still need fret level, crown, and dress, nut slots done, and finish whether lacquer or oil and varnish, etc. Tuners will run $40 - 60 like they always do. So, yes, $400 is a reasonable price to pay for a custom wood/profile/nut width/fretboard radius/pro fret job/finished neck with tuners if you cannot do it all yourself.

12. BlueCajun

OP didn't specify whether he was talking about a Fender replacement neck, aftermarket neck, or custom neck. He didn't even specify new vs. used. But he did specifically ask, "Would it HAVE to have tuners and pre-cut nut to earn your interest or intent to purchase?"

13. fumbler

fumbler PhD-Stratology

Not for me. I'm happy to install my own tuners and nut. In fact, I prefer it.

More options become available to you when you can do some work yourself.

14. tmcgee

tmcgee Strat-O-Master

I bought a new Genuine Fender Strat neck a few months ago for $200, had the nut already, and no tuning machines. The Fender locking tuners were about $50. Got both through Amazon.

15. KCStratman

If you insist on laconic reductionism, then no and no. I explained why in detail. Tuners do not normally come with replacement necks and they are extremely easy to install even for the unexperienced, or very inexpensive to have installed by an experienced technician. Pre-slotted nuts in fact come installed on most replacement necks included or at a very reasonable upcharge, otherwise will need to be done by an experienced tech. $300 - 400 will purchase a very high quality unfinished custom replacement neck without nut and tuners, or will purchase a good quality finished replacement neck including pre-slotted nut and quality tuners. (Talking brand new prices, of course lots of used bargains are out there.) WineCaster, what style / features are you looking for in a strat neck?

16. WineCaster

I'm asking because I bought an unfinished neck from Warmoth. I finished it myself and am wondering if the popular vote for what I'd like to get out of it would require me to spend extra money to include tuners and a nut.

17. KCStratman

Generally, nut yes, tuners no, it depends greatly upon the skill level and plans of the prospective buyer. What are the wood and specs of the neck and what kind of finish did you do on it? Because most replacement necks come with or are ordered with pre-slotted (but not final setup slotting) nut installed that is where your prospective buyers will divide between those who would rather have a pre-slotted nut in place or would rather install/have installed one of their choice. Tuners, no let them buy their own choice and any buyer can install them easily. Finish types and quality vary greatly, from worthless wipe on water based acrylic, to hand rubbed oils that take weeks and weeks of drying and hand rubbing - beautiful enduring quality but difficult to get repaid for the hours and hours of labor, to sprayed on lacquer - desirable but require expensive equipment, supplies, and expertise as well as wet sanding and buffing skills. Sprayed on poly finish like Fender replacement necks is mid-priced meh. So, there are many possibilities depending on quality and demand. Also, no luthier can finish setup slotting a nut until it is assembled on a guitar and strung up, so a pre-installed, pre-slotted nut still needs work to complete. The point is not to discourage the idea of selling custom finished necks, I do several a year myself. The point is there are factories such as Warmoth who turn them out in large quantities with all the economies of scale afforded to a large scale enterprise, so to compete with their likes is difficult unless you provide great quality and skilled work, or unique features or finishes, at a reasonable price.

18. BlueCajun

That's pretty cool. Let's see some pictures. :)

Coming back to your original question, it does probably depend what the neck is made of and finish quality. But assuming no exotic woods, for that kind of money, I would be looking for hardware, probably something similar to what MJT includes: installed tuners, uninstalled string tree, and uninstalled pre-slotted nut.

19. WineCaster

Here's an example of my work. This specific neck is finished with Tru-Oil. My current project is Warmoth standard C profile, flame maple, with rosewood. Finished similarly but with ReRanch nitro. Brand new and unplayed, mind you.

ImageUploadedByStrat-Talk forum1444851157.318231.jpg
    ImageUploadedByStrat-Talk forum1444851178.945135.jpg
    ImageUploadedByStrat-Talk forum1444851207.591828.jpg

20. BlueCajun

Based on those pictures, you certainly do nice work, WineCaster.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.