I'll bet you've never seen one of these.....

Discussion in 'Pickup Forum' started by Howard Emerson, May 1, 2021.

1. Howard Emerson

Howard Emerson Strat-Talk Member Gold Supporting Member

...and I'd love to find another one!

I'll let the pictures do the talking, but basically it WAS a floating single coil pickup made for archtop guitars......but I put it in my National Resolectric. IMG_1668.JPG 00a0a_fCH54E0Poah_600x450.jpg 00B0B_dhJFZtLfTBu_600x450.jpg 00z0z_aLgIQD5vCyJ_600x450.jpg IMG_3909.JPG

Lone Woof, Roca81, vlxerdon and 10 others like this.
  2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Fuzz Meister General

Very cool. I’ve seen stuff about them on the web but never seen one in person.

3. nungesser

nungesser crash into your windshield of love

Neat! a lot of times the modern acoustic pick ups look really out of place on resonator's but that will look smart

Paperback Rocker likes this.
  4. jbylake

jbylake Regular Dude Silver Member

Wow, never know what will pop up on this forum. I'd really like to hear that played.

Baelzebub likes this.
  5. of this world

of this world Strat-Talker

a lot of those old "monkey on a stick" (and similar) pickups are pretty nice... i had one from Japan (early 70s vintage) that i sold with a Harmony acoustic that was one of the last made in the USA before bankruptcy... it was excellent for slide., really warm, open and round... with a bit of dirt, heaven's doors opened.. i have a Dearmond 210 on an acoustic now that i simply adore... had it on my resonator for awhile too, where it also was outstanding...

this Columbia pickup is so nice looking!

Howard Emerson likes this.
  6. Howard Emerson

Your wish is my command:)

This is from my 4th release “The Wall Talks”, and it’s called “Uh-Oh!?’. It my National Resolectric with the Columbia pickup AND a built-in AKG condenser mic, split. I’m in open D tuning playing through a Fishman Loudbox.

https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/gTou9ojJRbt4R9CR7

Bowmap and jbylake like this.
  7. jbylake

Wow, very cool and not at all what I expected. Way more "musical" than "metallic", if that description makes any sense. I've been wanting to get a resonator, an inexpensive one because I probably woudn't use it much. I once mistakenly tuned my guitar to DADDAD and it sort of gave me that "Zep" sound like the song "when the levee breaks". I thought, wow, I wonder what that would sound like on a Resonator, but didn't have one to try it. I'm always coming up with hair brained ideas like that, but occasionally get something useful. Thanks for the post, always up for something out of the ordinary and that caught me totally off guard.:D

Baelzebub and Howard Emerson like this.
  8. mad axe man

mad axe man Senior Stratmaster

its not in person...still on the web...LOL :)

rocknrollrich likes this.
  9. Howard Emerson

Here’s the Resolectric on the same CD, and my arrangement of “Fever”. I’m in what I call C’VESTAPOL tuning: open D down a whole step. 2 tracks with the main track being fingerpicked with the mag/mic combo, and the I overdubbed a slide track with only the Columbia pickup.
    https://soundcloud.app.goo.gl/8HWGSBdfkW9NGc946

jbylake, Baelzebub and Stratoskater like this.
  10. Stratman84

Stratman84 Strat-Talker

Outstanding jam!

And you’re right... I have never seen one of those before. :thumb:

Last edited: May 1, 2021
    Howard Emerson, jbylake and Baelzebub like this.
  11. Howard Emerson

Here’s what supplies the ‘air’, if I can figure out how to attach a photo on my phone… EF95B9AA-E934-4579-B372-68E0664A4018.jpeg 679EF060-4012-4282-8482-3D9A40D81C4E.jpeg D1DC0A5B-6E8F-4F1E-AD63-04B545773FBE.jpeg

12. Howard Emerson

Jim,
    It should be noted that the majority of 'electric' resonator guitars almost never address the reproduction of what one hears when playing a resonator. Many come with just a magnetic pickup, especially the lower price versions. National makes several with bridge pickups which give a bit of the resonator sound, but nothing can 'hear' what it really sounds like except a microphone, so keep that in mind when it comes time to consider a purchase!

HE

13. Baelzebub

Baelzebub Most Honored Senior Member

@jbylake
    Here's one that does Howard/Jim. It's my Eastwood Delta 6. Has a P90 in the neck and a piezo in the bridge. 1 vol, 1 tone, and a blender. I don't play nearly as well as you but it gets me all the sounds I need. Usually keep it tuned to open G.

At some point I'd like to wire it so I can output the P90 to my Katana and the piezo to my Acoustasonic SFX.

20200909_122925.jpg 9-19-2020 2-39-07 PM.jpg

3bolt79 and jbylake like this.
  14. Baelzebub

Great arrangement!..I think you inspired me to put mine in tomorrow's rotation.

Howard Emerson likes this.
  15. jbylake

I think National, but not for sure, makes a lower end Resonator that doesn't have electronics. Musicians Friends, occasionally sell on their "Stupid Deal of The Day, deals. Regardless of the maker, not sure it's National, you can snag one for a couple of hundred bucks or so. I have so much more I want to try, but a limited number of heart beats left, so....:D P.S., maybe I can find one with rusty strings and a inch of dust on it, if I hit some of the pawn shops, and get a deal on one. Really cool looking, and interesting too. Kind of wish you wouldn't have posted a pic. I can feel the gas churning already.:rolleyes:

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  16. Baelzebub

Those Eastwoods are $650 new...I got that one in untouched condition for $400. If you look around you can find one cheap. If you don't want an active pickup you just turn the blend all the way down and it's just piezo. Unplug it and it's acoustically pretty good. Great all around resonator.

jbylake likes this.
  17. Howard Emerson

Here's the Resolectric, live, with my arrangement of Can't Help Falling In Love, in open D. Eventually the crowd notices there's actually someone performing, and they get very quiet all of a sudden.

You can check out all of my music at
    https://www.howardemerson.com

Regards,
    Howard Emerson