I'm about to buy this American Standard 2012 Strat but I'm not sure if it's fake or modified

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by darkling12, Feb 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. crankit

crankit Strat-Talk Member

Hey man. I might never sell my clapton strat. sowwy; Ctankit.

2. John C

John C Most Honored Senior Member Silver Member

Oh; I thought from the other thread that you did buy it. Well with mods if that would be considered a high used price in Turkey I think I would pass as well. You should go ahead and start another thread about whichever MIM you're looking at.

darkling12 likes this.
  3. ak-25

ak-25 Strat-Talker

Converting to UK prices, 9500 Turkish Lira is over £900 which for a messed about with Strat would be too much money.

The cases are cheap enough, you can get the Fender/SKB ones second hand for about £80 here - about 800 TL

darkling12 likes this.
  4. darkling12

darkling12 Strat-Talk Member

Yeah you're right. Except currency, there are so many taxes for imported goods in Turkey, thus prices are so high. Nothing to do about prices. It's so easy to buy a guitar in U.S.A or Uk or anywhere but it's a really big deal here :)

ak-25 and The_Whale like this.
  5. ak-25

ak-25 Strat-Talker

interesting thing is looking on Ubuy a Pro2 Stratocaster is something like £400 cheaper in Turkey than in the UK - we get robbed with import taxes, value added taxes etc so I understand what you are saying

https://www.ubuy.com.tr/en/search/i...tar-dark-night-rosewood-fretboard/store/store

Fender set the prices as far as I know - individual countries taxes will vary so prices change

6. ross

ross Strat-Talker

Who cares. In this situation you are buying a neck and a case, look at it like that. The USA models command a higher price mainly because neck, nut, bridge, pickups and pots are higher quality or finished at a higher level. So check them out. Lets face it this guitar is not going to make you any money on resale so don't buy it unless you like the feel of the neck, the quality of the nut and frets and are getting a really good price for a messed up bridge and pickup swap. You can easily fix those things with the money you save if you like the neck. By the looks of the changed out hardware I would think the guy that messed with it had a hard time keeping track of screws and a very crude eye for esthetics. I wouldn't trust his soldering skills, or choice of pickups. Don't pay too much but if you like the neck try to get a good price.

darkling12 likes this.
  7. stevierayfan91

stevierayfan91 DEEPLY SHY.

Hi, @crankit

Seller was not saying it was vintage.

8. heltershelton

heltershelton Vivamus libero Vivamus duris

for the third time, this guitar, besides the changes mentioned, is totally legit.
    i dont know jack about strats, but i stayed in a holiday inn express once, so i know what im talkin bout.
    or if i was from canada, id know what im talkin boot.