Join Strat-Talk Today

I'm back and in much better health need some advice on which amp to choose

Discussion in 'Amp Input - Normal or Bright' started by StratGuy4692, Aug 26, 2019.

1. StratGuy4692

StratGuy4692 Strat-O-Master

Hey everyone it's been awhile since I've been on here not to get off topic but I'm in much better health than I was and we are slowly starting to figure out what exactly was cause or is it cause of the remainder of my symptoms.

On topic I have gone back to work and I have about as of right now 600 dollars saved up for what I intend to be more close to 950 to 1000 to spend on a new amplifier. I had a friend of mine that really liked my blues Jr so I sold it to him and with my going back to work and money is coming in and as many of you might remember I'm looking to either get a Princeton 65 or a 57 custom champ. I do live in an apartment as many of you know however I've discussed it with my neighbors and they would have no problem with me owning something such as a hot rod deluxe which I've also been looking at.

I love the new hot rod deluxe four however it's 40 Watts and while my neighbors would be okay with it to some degree I have heard of to relatively inexpensive attenuators that I could look into one is the JHS little black amp box pedal and the other one is Carl's custom guitars volume box. If I got a hot rod deluxe which do you guys think I should go with?I could honestly take my $600 and buy a used hot rod deluxe 4 for about 550 right now.

However a new option that has popped up I am highly interested in the new upcoming tone master range specifically the deluxe reverb.to my ears I hear very little difference between the actual tube counterpart and the digital counterpart.I'm far from a tube snob so I would not mind the lighter weight and power attenuation they go as far down as 0.2 Watts. These however do not release till September.I realize that the price on these is very high for what they are as I can get a tube deluxe used for about well the same price as the new digital version. I simply would like to know what others here might consider.it's a very tempting to buy the hot rod deluxe four today in my local guitar center along with the JHS pedal so that I may attenuate it or should I save up and buy the tow master once reviews come out of course.

2. Stratoskater

Stratoskater Most Honored Senior Member

I would take the HRD for sure before the tone master things and I really don't like the HRD. The best amp of those IMO (and a lot of others) will be the 57 Champ with the Princeton a close second. Don't be impatient if what you really want is the Princeton or Champ. Just wait a bit longer and get what you want.

Lovnmesomestrat and StratGuy4692 like this.
  3. StratGuy4692

I'm trying my best to be patient but I'm not sure The power attenuation built into these fender tone masters is certainly alluring as to my knowledge Fender does not put power attenuation into any of their amplifiers. I think regardless of company it's about time all amplifier manufacturers had power attenuation as the standard. But I'm certainly leaning towards the Princeton.

RobZ69 and Jesse414 like this.
  4. Stratoskater

See and I hate power attenuators (I am sort of okay with master volume amps) and always prefer a simple straight forward tube amp in the wattage I need for the situation.

93-Strat and JB74 like this.
  5. Morf2540

Morf2540 Strat-O-Master

Get a Princeton Reverb. Is there a better sounding amp in your price range?
    I gig with mine, and it is plenty loud enough. A swap for a more efficient speaker can add clean volume, if you really need it. And at low home volume it still sounds great.

6. jrbirdman

jrbirdman Senior Stratmaster

5e3

93-Strat and Stratoskater like this.
  7. Antstrat

Antstrat Senior Stratmaster

For starters glad to see you on the mend and posting again.

Just my 2 cents regarding amps. You have pedals so you probably won't be using the gain on the HRD as much. If you decide to go in the HRD direction I, in my opinion, think the Blues Deluxe is a better sounding amp, it just doesn't have the gain of the HRD but so what, you have pedals for that. Regarding the 40 watts of the BD there are many ways to tame the volume but what I did per my amp tech is simply change the V1 tube to a 12AY7 and it was a mere $15. It's sooooo easy to do too. It sounds great and a lot of BD owners do the same so it's not just my idea.

Moving on now, the Princeton would also be a great choice as @Morf2540 mentioned above. but keep in mind there's the 65 and the 68 so you'll need to pick between the two. They do sound a bit different to each other so it boils down to taste.

Last but not least for under $600 new the Vox AC10 and the new Blackstar Studio 10 6L6 (just got one last week) would both be excellent choices for apartment settings.

No doubt you have tons more options on more great amps, these are just my opinions trying to stay in your budget zone.

Silvercrow and Stratoman10 like this.
  8. StratGuy4692

I definitely prefer the 65 Princeton to the 68 the 68 seems very muddy to me and has more bass. Not that it's a bad sounding amp it just sounds darker than I would like. I've looked into the blues deluxe Antstrat I really like look and the sound of it however I have heard that it has the same problem of the volume going from 1 to ridiculous in less than a millisecond Both The Fender hot rod Mark 3 and the blues deluxe apparently share this issue.
    I also don't have an amp tech otherwise I would gladly take that suggestion take my 600 bucks and get a blues deluxe as I like it much more than hot rod deluxe seeing as I'm not going to use the gain channel. For whatever reason guitar center won't even help people change their tubes changing tubes is easy enough I will do it however does the blues deluxe need to be rebiased in order to change out the stock tubes? Ultimately I'm pretty sure if I can wait just a little while longer and ignore the G.A..S. I'll be coming home with a Princeton in two and a half three weeks.

Jesse414 likes this.
  9. Antstrat

Not trying to push you into a BD if indeed you prefer the HRD, just my 2 cents based on what you posted above. Yes the sound does go from 2 to watch your house plants die at 3+ but that's what the 12AY7 will smooth out and give you a longer sweep on the volume knob and not neuter the tone of the amp. NO REBIASING needed when just changing pre-amp tubes. 6 screws on the back panel come off and the V1 is staring you right in the face.

Sounds to me though that you have your mind set on the Princeton so go with what is exciting you, it's a great amp and I doubt if you will be dissapointed.

Lovnmesomestrat and Jesse414 like this.
  10. StratGuy4692

Well guitar center in my town has a sale on blues deluxes right now as well as I believe I want to say the hot rods but the hot rod Mark 3s for me it's definitely between the Princeton or I really like the deluxe because it comes in tweed and if changing that one tube is that easy I might just buy a deluxe as I do like the sound of it come here get instructed on which tube to buy reinstall it and we would be good to go. Either way I will be posting a new amp day post very soon.

Jesse414 likes this.
  11. Antstrat

12AY7. I use both JJ's and Mesa's. The mesa's are about $5 more so worst case scenario $20. There are tons of tubes you can go with too, this is just what I've used and found to work for me.

If you can take another trip to your GC with your guitar, a final decision making trip so to speak.

Silvercrow and Jesse414 like this.
  12. Stratoman10

Stratoman10 Dr. Stratster Strat-Talk Supporter

Look at some Blackstars. The Club 40 will switch down to 4 watts and the HT20 will go down to two. I own both of them and I'd not hesitate to buy either one again. The 40 goes for around 730 new and the 20 was aaround 600 I think

13. johnnymg

johnnymg Most Honored Senior Member Strat-Talk Supporter

Congrats on the new found health! :thumb:

I'll be 'that guy' and suggest this:
    The Katana 100 head or combo can deliver whisper to window breaking glory. Some here claim you don't need to mess with the computer interface to dial them in but that hasn't been my experience. Regardless, the big Kats are standout "amps" and worthy of consideration if you aren't wedded to valve tech or are struggling to 'tame' a valve amp.

14. Jesse414

Jesse414 Strat-O-Master

Take a tums to reduce your gas and wait you will be worlds happier with a 65 princeton.:)

15. JB74

JB74 Senior Stratmaster

You have pedals.

Stay away from small fender combos, unless you want to go direct into the front. If you want to do that, then 5e3 or 5f6a (59 bassman)

If you really want a princeton, sell your pedals - because they will sound ****e when you crank it.

You have just thrown down hundreds on pedals.... think about how you play and spend your hard earned on a high headroom clean amp. forget these new tonemaster things, they are going to be more trouble than they are worth in 10 years time. I get 'it' new gear, gas attack blah blah blah.. a Katana 100 would have saved you literally hundreds over a tonemaster. in fact you could buy two KT100's used, AND they have built in attenuator.

I would suggest that since you need a clean pedal platform, that you check out classifieds and go buy a silverface 100w twin or a 65 TRRI and use that. You don't NEED to turn it up. and you can play at bedroom levels. If you want the power, it's there on demand whenever you want.

Silvercrow, jrbirdman and johnnymg like this.
  16. telepraise

telepraise Strat-Talker

I'm with Morph and Stratguy on a Princeton, but then I own a 12" SE and love a clean BF tone. They're not everybody's cup of tea. The HRD is a very different animal (more like a fire breathing dragon) and would be tons of fun if you get it in a big venue where you can open it up, but at home… forget the neighbors, your gonna destroy your own hearing in an apartment with it. The Champ would probably be a good starting place for apartment playing, some seriously good tones in there.

BTW, good news on your improving health, may you continue to get better.

Lovnmesomestrat and JB74 like this.
  17. StratGuy4692

I will certainly take this into high regard.

18. StratGuy4692

I do know that the Princeton cannot be cranked too hard when using pedals but I do not intend to drive it that hard to begin with. There are plenty of videos out there that show the Princeton takes pedals very well however the point about it not having enough clean headroom with pedals did cross my mind. As for a TRRI could I go for a DRRI instead as a slightly cheaper option? As stated the power ISN'T needed but I'd have it on tap if I wanted it ever if my neighbors are out LOL.

19. Stratoskater

57 CHAMP :whistling:

dbolt and 93-Strat like this.
  20. Stratoskater

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.