I'm looking at rewiring my Strat

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by Green Craig, Oct 10, 2021.

1. Green Craig

Green Craig Senior Stratmaster

The soldering is a mess, the wiring is a mess, and it's got a nonstandard wiring scheme (the ol' Jimmy Vaughan). My aim is to clean up the soldering, and perhaps most importantly, tidy up the wiring. Nobody sees it, but it can be difficult to replace a pickguard when the wires are sticking up all over the place.

So, I was wondering if there were any pre-wired kits worth looking at. Or, barring the pre-wired kits, if there are any parts kits worth looking at. Ooooorrrrrr, if it's just better to go to my music store and buy parts directly from them (they use low-friction Bournes pots).

Any thoughts or opinions?

2. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Can you solder or are you willing to learn how? You could rewire it on your own and save $'s - as well as having the satisfaction/flexibility or DIYing.

davidrf and Archtops like this.
  3. Green Craig

Yep, I can solder. I've gotten a lot better since I wired up this Strat all those years ago.

4. StratUp

StratUp Senior Stratmaster

Then I'd just dissemble, clean everything up, and resolder... but if you want to replace components. I'd just order pots on line, new caps maybe (as they're .20 from a non-guitar supplier), get some wire, and have at it. But, if the local guy has the stuff, that can be easy. Hardly worth paying for someone to put it in a "kit" and charge you twice as much for the privilege.

Of course, now is the time to consider any mods you might want. You could put in push-pulls and have a lot of options; oe change to a Master vol, Treble cut, Bass cut; or use Concentric pots and get vol/tone for all three, etc. Or just standard.

Green Craig likes this.
  5. Chipss36

Chipss36 Strat-O-Master

I love wiring…

I do my best to imitate, the 1950 fender lady’s, they wired very neat, in a littoral sweat shop assembly line.

I have the luxury of more time.
    And air conditioning!

use a good solder station, skip lead free solder, it sucks, think about the layout, it’s not a race, take pride in your work.
    look at pictures of 1950 strats, they did amazing work back then.

go for it!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
    davidrf, Exhead and Archtops like this.
  6. Archtops

Archtops Strat-Talker

For reference take pics before doing any work to it. Best of luck!

Green Craig likes this.
  7. Green Craig

Oh, I forgot to mention the reason I'm actually looking to swap the pots: One of the tone pots is sticky and rotates slower than the others.

8. helliger

helliger Strat-Talker

Emerson makes pre-wired kits but they use oak grigsby switches. I don't mind those though. Mojotone also makes pre-wired kits and those use switchcraft. I think the mojotone one's are a little cheaper. Around $75 or so.

It's cheaper if you buy all the parts but if you factor in shipping etc. you won't save a whole lot of money and those kits are wired super clean.

I have one of those solder suckers as well as the solder wick but always have a hard time getting things super clean (if that's your aim). If you're really good at removing old solder that might not be an issue. I'm not great at it.

9. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

I agree...i usually do the wiring myself but not really enjoying it and those prewired kits are very good and the prices fair.If i had a strat now thought that i needed to rewire i would not bother to tell you the truth at all even with those kits...i would go straight to a solderless wiring harness like those of obsidian wire....super clean look,solder free pickup changes....if i had a favorite strat that needed new electronics i would use something like that for sure.

10. helliger

helliger Strat-Talker

I never used those before but that looks pretty slick. It looks like they use oak grigsby style switch. I'm assuming the kits come with a bunch of attachments for the leads?

If they work just as well as a solder setup I'd definitely give that a go. Building a guitar right now and I already have a prewired Emerson harness but will keep these in mind next time

11. Dreamdancer

Dreamdancer Senior Stratmaster

I have used prewired emerson harnesses a couple of times too....very good quality.I havent tried the obsidian one either but apart from their rave reviews they just make a lot of sense especially if you ever wanna move it to another guitar or try a lot of pickups fast or just be absolutely sure that the weird cold blobs of solder somewhere that creates issues.I like that cleanliness and reliability especially on a guitar you are gonna use a lot.

12. buzzword

buzzword Strat-Talker Silver Member

13. Ian Ashdown

Ian Ashdown Strat-O-Master

Take a look at Obsidian Wire. I like them, have them on a couple of Strats. Hi quality and they make life very easy!

Ian
    SoCal